What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Finally broke down and got a cheap carbon steel wok, so once i got the lacquer cleaned off and got it seasoned, i had to do some chicken and broccoli stir fry, complete with sweetened soy sauce, over rice. I may have found my new favorite cooking tool, super fast and easy. It was good, forgot to get a pic, but I'll be using it a bunch more. I definitely see why they call them the most versatile cooking implement on earth.

Finally broke down and got a cheap carbon steel wok, so once i got the lacquer cleaned off and got it seasoned, i had to do some chicken and broccoli stir fry, complete with sweetened soy sauce, over rice. I may have found my new favorite cooking tool, super fast and easy. It was good, forgot to get a pic, but I'll be using it a bunch more. I definitely see why they call them the most versatile cooking implement on earth.
A wok is tits for making popcorn. I use ~2tbs oilive oil, add popcorn, then follow the microwave directions. When popping slows to a couple pops every 5s, turn off the heat. Wait another 20s for the final pops to stop, add Old Bay and enjoy. Just as easy as microwave, no questionable chemicals, and much cheaper. Buy red heirloom corn for waaay fewer hulls in your teeth.

A wok is tits for making popcorn. I use ~2tbs oilive oil, add popcorn, then follow the microwave directions. When popping slows to a couple pops every 5s, turn off the heat. Wait another 20s for the final pops to stop, add Old Bay and enjoy. Just as easy as microwave, no questionable chemicals, and much cheaper. Buy red heirloom corn for waaay fewer hulls in your teeth.
Agreed!

Sister brought over cake while I was having my morning coffee...ended up having breakfast for dinner...

We have an air popper, but I'm gonna have to try that! After tonight, I'm glad i went with the lightweight steel one, rather than the heavy cast iron, as I'm going to try to do wonton wrappers soon (which ironically are thin pancakes, if you ever want to get lost on Google look up pancakes across the globe, i guess every culture on earth makes them :lol). I did notice that even with my gas range, i could have used more heat, and so i have to pay attention to the total volume of food at a time more closely. I guess some people use a turkey fryer burner (i could see me welding up something for a weed burner on the truck) that might be the golden ticket if i was cooking for a group, which likely won't be happening any time soon lol. Much to learn yet, but after learning to season cast iron, caring for this will be a cinch.

A cast iron wok has some appeal on first thought, but I don't think it's good material for varied use. The nice thing about steel is it heats up and cools down quickly. Makes it easy to vary temperature, and have different temperature zones in the same "pan". I'm not really a cooking guy, so I don't know if people that know would agree. I do love my cast iron pans. My main one sits on the stove, and I usually don't even wash it. Only if it had something messy inside that can't be trivially wiped out with a napkin.

For cast iron (and everything) get a chainmail scrubber, it takes care of everything. I got a few books on Chinese cuisine before i got this, and that's what they all recommended, for that exact reason. I guess the heavy cast iron wok is best if you don't have the burner capacity, so you can heat it up a bunch to hold enough heat for that round. They also make traditional thin cast iron woks, which act just like the steel ones.

Wife's turn last night, and she boiled up some spicy rabbit, cauliflower & bacon and celery soup. Love that good ol' Sichuan style food!... 🍲

This is currently in the oven...

20200329_173232.jpg

Gonna have collards and Tabasco with it. That thing was expensive; $16 I think. I got it around thanksgiving, but never made it. It was either keep it n the freezer til next fall, or eat it now while it's still sorta seasonal. It definitely doesn't go summer.

The roast was pretty good. I'll firm up my opinion on the leftovers. It would have been better with a larger vegetable complement as I suspected, but I didn't want to make a whole bunch of stuff. One large piece of the roast is good, but it starts wearing out its welcome after that. Not a problem as part of a full meal, but with only collards on the side, it was kinda monotone.

For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".

Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant :|:

I think that might be the most enthusiastic account of McDonalds I've ever read :^D

McChickens I get sans mayo, and ask for a pack of hot picante for it. Same with McNuggets. Hot picante sauce on them.

I'm making Potatoes Dauphinoise.
I'm out of Gruyere cheese, so I used some Welsh cheddar instead.
Be interesting to see how that tastes.

Chicken tetrazzini, my mother's recipe from childhood which my beloved M has taken unto her own. Her brilliant mod has been to have me smoke the chicken ahead of time...that brings the taste pleasure up several orders of magnitude.