Volunteer Hazard Tree Falling

• Thread starter forestryworks
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 6K
That last one went real nicely. I like how you didn't have to check to make sure your cuts matched up on the far side of the trunk. From the camera's perspective I could see it was a perfect match, but you couldn't have seen that from where you were standing. But even though you couldn't see it, you clearly knew it. That's some good instinct there. Good demonstration of the block cut too. That stone dead tree was the perfect case study of where & why to use it. I bet you were sweating bullets though pounding the heck out of those wedges with power lines behind you. It's scary when you start to wonder if you should have set a line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some campground hazards. About to wrap up this volunteer work - the bulk of the hazard trees I have volunteered to cut have been done so. A handful of trees left. It's been a great experience and I'd like to move on to another aspect of falling and learn some more!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/znmwPl7BMwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didn't you ougth to use a longer bar on trees that size;)

Dont mind stig, he would have used a pocket knife with a 3.5" blade to fall those.....

Big bars spook him. lol

Well done Jameson. Definitely see why you left such a beefy hinge when you had power lines to deal with. You cut way better than me. I'll tell ya that right now, and it pisses me off to see a poopstain kid getting the better of me.:evil: Green with envy.

Very funny on the American grammar Stig! :lol:

I was asked to knock down some trees along some high voltage distribution lines yesterday (the big, fat wires about 1.5" thick). I had seven that were too close to the wires for the guys who had been working the job. I used the bucket truck to clear some overhang weight off three of them and then fell all seven using a couple wedges. Everything I know about using wedges I learned from you guys here on the forum. I can't name any other local tree guy I know who regularly uses wedges. Thanks again, guys. :)

That's cool, Brian, that you were able to do that. Wedges are like voodoo to some people. I have seen lots of eyebrows go up when I pull out wedges.

And the same for me...what little bit I know about properly using wedges I learned from our pros here. Much thanks to those that so freely share their knowledge, experience and stories.

Same with me. I rarely used wedges until the past year. It is amazing what they will move. Usually just put a rope in the top, tie to another tree and pull in the center.

Back