Tree felling vids

Yep...my climb line is my 2nd tie-in.

Look at Butch's avatar picture at the top of this page. His lanyard is highest. His lifeline (climbing line) is below that. They definitely need some space between them.

"Distance is your shield." If something goes south your climbing line is ready to descend down...get the hell out of dodge.

Cory you are so right. I’ve never been so humbled in all my wife by all the attention that these noble guys have lavished upon me. Especially 09.

It would be complete disrespect not to give it a shot, which I will do, I promise.

Do it a few times and it will become a habit. Good habits aren't hassles...they're just good... :D

(I am just so damn smart...assed....)

I'm sure it don't slow you down, and it might just save you and your loved ones from pain.
Let's be honest, it will slow him down an extra 4.6 seconds per use, which is less than slowing down for a month in the hospital and a year outta work.

Every time Jed uses that precious 4.6 he can say to himself 'this time used is more than worth it cuz it's an investment in myself to make sure I stay physically and mentally healthy and strong . My life and career are worth it. And it is necessary to use this time because I've been alive long enough, and doing tree work long enough, to fully know that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.'

No, you guys are right again... Had the weirdest possible day... Know what?... I'm just gonna derail my own silly post right over to the "How'd it go today?" threat, if it's alright by you fellers.

Skip ahead to about 11:10.

I remember way back Burnham telling me how easy it is to cut a cable core with a small saw. We finally tried it at a training a few years back and it was super easy (I'll have to find that video) We had more tension on the lanyard though. I think buckin's only lasted that long because it had minimal tension on it and could move around a bit.
I do remember thinking that a glance from a limbcut follow through would be unlikely to cut all the way through. It seemed to take a little more effort than just a glance, but probably under 2 seconds though. And with a big saw, I'd imagine a glance would do it pretty quick.

On a side note, we found bolt cutters don't work all that great to cut through a cable core. We broke two cheap pairs and had to really gnaw with a good pair to get through one. Found that the skinny steal part of the snap hook cuts easier than the cable if you're using bolt cutters.

I liked that demo cut by Buckin.

That said I remember meeting these brothers from Texas on Hilton Head in 2016 after Mathew. One of them was permanently crippled, on crutches for life after a fall, and still talking about how climbing from just a lanyard was the most efficient way to do tree work.

Mighty intense. Glad it went safely. 170'???? Wtf! Beware low flying aircraft.

Is that more cutting on the same crazy road job you've posted about before?

High drama!!! Cool to see that. Never thought of it before but when tied off to another tree you have to not have the lifeline too tight or the spar movement could cause the LL to get too tight and pull you off the spar. You needed slack for movement after the top released.

Nice. I always loved the big swinging oval motion after tossing a biggish top from way up high, unrigged.

Not so much enjoyable would be the way crazy pull straight over the top of a biggish piece set with running rigging at my waist, when the "let 'er run a good ways" message somehow got lost in translation. That sort of rebound at that height and stem flexibility always grabbed my attention for a swing or two :D.

Last edited:
Back