The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Tree felling vids

Jed

TreeHouser
Lotta times I’ll just run a flipline Garry. Just the way I was taught, and I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. Not the safest show in town neither.

Ohhh! I DO have my line hanging down in the back though. You can JUST see it.

Last edited:

cory

TreeHouser
Idk, one is none and two is one, type of thing.

Mistakes happen. Steel core lanyards can be cut through.

I just like to stack the deck in my favor as much as reasonably possible.

We all know treework isn't, for the most part, rocket surgery. I think it is mostly a question of going up there, do all the basics and don't do something stupid . Don't. Do. Something. Stupid .

You obviously are very highly skilled and with a lot of experience. But chit happens. Look at PC tree, guy is basically a genius, I heard he fell by rapelling off the end of his rope. Chit happens.

pantheraba

More biners!!!
It was HERE that I learned the TIT principle....I climbed in a vacuum for 20 years. I learned in the early 70's, manila 3 strand, freeclimb (no lanyard use) until you either get too scared or have to get past a big limb or obstacle. THEN put the lanyard around the tree. Get to a limb, hold on with one hand, unsnap the lanyard, reposition it while holding on with one hand, then climb on. That's the way I was taught in early 70's...and what I did until the 90's when the internet (and TreeHouse) let me meet other climbers who had their shat together. I learned how stupid I had been all that time...too dumb to figure it out on my own. Managed to gaff my own right thigh at the knee (from a lanyardless fall from about 15 feet approx. 1972), break my right wrist from another fall from about 20 feet (about 73 or 74), and got scared several other times. The House saved me I am sure.

Jed

TreeHouser
Wait, he's (PC Tree) O.k. right!!!?? Isn't that Roger? As to falling off the end of yer rope... Heck... Mr. Beranek's done it twice, and once from a potentially lethal height. Limped his way out of the woods. That's a man, imho. Whereas, all of us silly old farts seem unable to make up our minds. I just got done wading through the excellent "Old Age and Climbing Thread," over in the climbing forum, and I simply could not believe all the silly bravado regarding suicide. But on the other hand we are training redundancy regarding safety in treework. Two points of tie-in on a stick just seem excessive to me, and I'll leave it at that. If I'm honest I AM a little butt hurt over all the corporate, collective, bandwagoning tendencies in our industry: "Two points of tie-in!!... Better than One!!" To that I would simply respond, "Three, Three, THREE!!! Far better, than two!!! Don't be a silly cowboy jackass! FOUR! Oh, no wait, don't be silly. Four is for fags, and three is kind of effeminate. I think that two would be a good, prudent responsible number. :lol:

Burnham

Woods walker
Don't be a fool, Jed. Use two lanyards when cutting with a chainsaw.

Sure, there's over the top safety mavens a'plenty who will sing the praises of top rope safeties, and much more besides.

But please hear this old, old climber, descended from your own PNW genetic tree climber base: don't get stuck in the oldest of old school paradigms, where we were taught to think anything beyond a flipline and a good pair of spurs was a stupid waste of time.

That way of looking at climber safety comes from the many decades gone now perception that a logger's life was not worth much...certainly not worth enough to take any effort at protecting. Save a few minutes?? Sure, and if every now and then that uneducated, has to work under whatever situation the bossman says he must, hard working man dies...too bad for him and his family, but by the gods, the company made some money still.

I beg to differ.

Go with two lanyards, or a lanyard and a top rope (hate that latter choice myself unless I have to go up to the top for some other reason beyond just the rope placement...whatever:)). But by hook or crook, keep yourself safe.

Mick!

TreeHouser
Slowly.

Doesn’t bother me, I live in France, plus I wouldn’t do it even if I lived in the UK.
Lot of guys working for bigger firms or on public works have no choice.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!