Tree felling vids

Can't imagine what it's like to climb trees like that. Always said I'm fine climbing straight up and down, or parking my ass at height, but I think the movement up there might flip me out; especially not having the ability to just hug the tree. Get halfway up, and freeze; stuck to the side of the tree like a retarded squirrel :^D

Reg, how old would a tree like that be? I'm going to guess 500 y o. When I was logging in OR, we took out some fine old growth, stumps were about approx 5' across, 425 y o.

Do you figure the root rot was due to the road construction?

Any old growth stand of that age will have a significant percentage of the population that is decadent. Just like us peeps...as trees get old, some trees get unhealthy. Road construction is unlikely to affect that paradigm.

IMO, from afar and with only experience to judge, the reason the work Reg and his fellows are doing is adjacent to a road is that the risk of failure of those trees is only pertinent as it relates to the hazard they present to traffic on said road. I'd bet a bushel of bucks that beyond strike distance from the highway, the trees are just as decadent, percentage-wise.

Reg and our other old growth PNW treefolk may have a different perspective, or maybe even the same. Like to hear it either way.

This. Redundancy is just, well... a bit redundant.

Ohhh! Burnham: Just saw the vid. He was probably just trying to get all the brush a bit closer to the chipper. I'm not a fan of the zipline, but I still use it about 8 times a year. Guys at Eastside use it all the time even if it's slower. :lol: At Eastside Treeworks, were I work... "easier" just tends to carry the day sometimes. :lol:

If it's a takedown...then there must be a reason not to fell it whole right to the chipper :). Looks to be room enough...but we all know about what looks like vs. what is :D.

Reg, how old would a tree like that be? I'm going to guess 500 y o. When I was logging in OR, we took out some fine old growth, stumps were about approx 5' across, 425 y o.

Do you figure the root rot was due to the road construction?
I know a large majority of the forest burnt down around 400 years ago. This one may or may not have been a survivor.

Im actually very skeptical about the management of the park. Since a hiker got killed several years ago for choosing to go out in a windstorm, they've acquired a bigger budget to manage the so called hazard trees. I think theyve been far too aggressive. Blasting and falling trees because its faster the windfirming. But predictably as the forest gets thinner, they are experiencing more and more blowdowns than ever, every winter as a result. Its so transparent now in parts, that was otherwise thick and dark with towering giants only 5 years ago. friggin' park rangers, not foresters.....
condemning and breaking up whole networks of the area. But looking busy. Looking important in uniforms and badges.

I'm sure there must be a reason for the speedline that I cannot see from the vid. Share it, if you would.

The first few we did overhung the house, that one over the service drop and would've needed to be lowered anyway. Plus we were moving the brush about 200ft closer and nicely staged up at the chipper. Alot easier on the ground guys.
The only way to flop these was up the hill where the logs will stay forever as far as I'm concerned. Needed at least the majority of the brush out to reduce potential fuel and take off all the back weight.

A good show, Reg and Martin!

In addition to habitat value, a thick, 5m snag like that, along a road, will have as much affect on people as it would if intact and 200'+ tall, as the roof of the vehicle will block out the bulk of the tree, and most people rarely look up, unlike tree people who probably look up a weird percentage of the time. There are lots of roadside snags at Mt. Rainier, and driving up the road, you have to really look up to see which are which, at 30 mph.

Root disease is a major player in our area.
The common root disease affecting doug-fir is endemic to the Northern Oregon, Washington and Southern BC. They keep re-naming the causal organism, but keep calling it Laminated Root Disease. Largely affecting Doug-fir and Grand Fir, and drought-stressed Western Hemlock.

The fungus moves through the soil, naturally. and I suspect sometimes, somehow is moved by animals. Fruiting bodies basically/only show up on uprooted trees, and is not that easy to find.

It seems they have changed the Family name, recently, having changed the Genus name within about the last 5-7 years. 2 other names before that, that I know of.

Velvet-top fungus/ cowpie fungus. Pretty conks when they're fresh.
A big player in older hosts.

friggin' park rangers, not foresters.....
condemning and breaking up whole networks of the area. But looking busy. Looking important in uniforms and badges.
I might know about mismanagement by putting decisions in the hands of park rangers that they clearly can't handle. In WA, you have to have a college degree to be a Parks ranger...I think one had a performing arts, maybe it was history, degree!

The first few we did overhung the house, that one over the service drop and would've needed to be lowered anyway. Plus we were moving the brush about 200ft closer and nicely staged up at the chipper. Alot easier on the ground guys.
The only way to flop these was up the hill where the logs will stay forever as far as I'm concerned. Needed at least the majority of the brush out to reduce potential fuel and take off all the back weight.

You cut out sooo much grunt labor and potential for injury, and having worn out workers makes for more property and equipment damage, that day, and later into the week. Workers go home exhausted to their lives and people, only to come back the next day for more.

Speedlines can be used, by good operators, to mostly build, with a bit of manipulation, the piles of brush that a grapple-machine will pick up and feed into a chipper. Cutting your WC is great. Cutting down on your low-skill laborers (or making higher-skilled people do low-skill labor) is great.

Speedlines are never tired, hungover/ drunk/ stoned-over? stoned, sick, having baby-mama drama, needing the day off for court, discontented, distracted by a fight with their partner, worried about if their _____ is staying 'clean',...
Friction is reliable and free.
Gravity is extremely predictable, extremely!
The ground never gets tired.
Worn out and broken gear is way easier to fix/ maintain/ replace than worn out and broken people.
Speedlines don't get OverTime pay.
Speedlines keep groundworkers out from the normal dropzone, under the climber.

Christ Sean, you use that line about (non human) stuff not getting tired, hungover, drunk all the goddam time about your loader (which is always broke by the sound of it)

We get it! It’s becoming more irritating than Butch’s wiggling lady gif.

:thumbup:

Nice speed line, Gg.

Yes, Sean mentions those concepts a lot but they are all spot on, imo. I personally have no problem with it. And he makes a good point about speedines keeping grunts out from under the tree.

I disagree. :lol: Even though I'm the farthest thing from a contrarian.:lol: What irony!

Anyways... the type of guy Sean's talking about is gonna find a way to get hisself killed no matter what. We had (still have) a guy at Eastside who got his leg busted from standing in the sidewash of the zipline. Can't cure stupid. Dang it all, I'm livin PROOF!

I know a large majority of the forest burnt down around 400 years ago. This one may or may not have been a survivor.

Im actually very skeptical about the management of the park. Since a hiker got killed several years ago for choosing to go out in a windstorm, they've acquired a bigger budget to manage the so called hazard trees. I think theyve been far too aggressive. Blasting and falling trees because its faster the windfirming. But predictably as the forest gets thinner, they are experiencing more and more blowdowns than ever, every winter as a result. Its so transparent now in parts, that was otherwise thick and dark with towering giants only 5 years ago. friggin' park rangers, not foresters.....

WOW!!! That's telling it like it is!

We had a stand of old trees tucked away on a 25-acre lot that the suburban developers couldn't get to. There was a windstorm that took out a bunch of old trees in 2010. I took at least five 100'+ trees out. I went back a couple of years ago to check and the forrest had been denuded. It didn't look like the same place. The new wind exposure must have gotten a bunch of the older trees. That was a special place and a real heartbreaker to see what had happened there.

I'm new to the site. Is there a trick to get the videos to play? I can see the html address for the videos, but it is not hot linked, so I can't open the videos. Thanks.

Just copypaste the link.

It is probably called something fancier, but I'm from the last millenium.

Just copy the link and transfer it to your post.

Presto!

I'm new to the site. Is there a trick to get the videos to play? I can see the html address for the videos, but it is not hot linked, so I can't open the videos. Thanks.
The owner recently reformatted this forum so that a url will suffice in loading a video. In the old format, we had to use the share button and then copy and paste the embedded video link, which now appears in all the old videos. I was able to load by playing with the address but somehow cannot make that work now. At best its a little frustrating. I heard that it was getting fixed, but haven't seen anything updates. There are a lot of years of videos and much tree cuttin' knowledge shared on this site. Probably more than any other site in the world. Much of it may be lost without the fix.

A zipline broke bones???
Yeah. Well, the "side-wash," did Butch. It's Scotty's leg that got broke. I'll re-ask him Thurs. when we go back, but, the way the story was related to me... They had been speeding down fir branches all day, on the chipper-winch-line, and the complacent sonofaguns were just (limbs zip down with a certain aerodynamic ya know?) standing too close to the chipper. Well then the silly buggers tried doing a good, little chunk of Fir log, and of course the added weight plus zero aero affect "washed" the line way harder out to the side and busted the silly buggers leg. What the heck did he think was gonna happen?

You are a vet PNWer obviously. When I spent all of one season out there, we called sideways deflection or sideways rubbing, "siwash'. Obviously highly similar to your term, just making a lingo note like we sometimes do here in the House hood.

Back