Tree felling vids

@Burnham yes, nervous and moving about more than needed. I'd be moving a lot too, not enough exp to just nail it without looking, but not so much with the saw. I wouldn't have narrowed the hinge for sure...also more careful about shape of hinge at back cut as it got closer to going...err (thick side) on the side of the less expensive damage...and higher back cut! :-D

@stig would like to see some turning. Some friends of mine turn, I'll put some pics up. I keep threatening to put a whole root ball up in our vertical lathe here at work and make a giant art bowl...

As with any art, one need to get famous to be able to charge enough to make a living.

But a mere toothpick! Lol
Big big tree for sure, but I gotta say the last few minutes of the go pro under water really captures what it must be like drowning. Either way a sweet video and foremost a dead nuts drop. Well done! (y)

Looks like the rope was just a tether to keep the stem from ruining a walking path or garden? Definitely a lot of force on the rope. I wouldn't want to use my good ropes for that, but it looked effective. Not sure what else you could have really done keeping the stem on a sort leash. Maybe tie it to the stump, and have it tethered up front.

I do.that a lot on slopes when you dont want it to run down hill to potential targets. I tell the guys, "we'll put a leash on it". Should actually tied it lower with less travel to = less impact force on the rope. But I have broken 5/8ths before on a big log. But it never made the highway ;)
Used chain before as well on super heavy stuff.
Rope is a consumable. More so than valuable targets.

Looks like it was used to keep the butt from jumping around. Stem was kind of a banana and dropping it on those rocks...

We use them all the time to keep a stem from bouncing or sliding down the hill. Usually try and use 3/4 on anything decent sized and just take wraps on the stumps as to not shockload a POW or turn one into a cannonball if something lets go.

Agreed, rope is consumable. I tend to use "retired" ones for the stump ties. Broke a 7/8 piece of stable braid once. Big old Beech, stopped it before it slid too far off an near vertical embankent. Worked perfectly!

I like a hefty cable choker for that application. I have some 5/8 inch chokers with ball and bell closure on one end, swaged eye on the other that worked a treat. Around 30K lb. breaking strength, iirc.

Like this...

Just me, older school perhaps.

I have one of those for skidding logs. How do you keep the choker tight for a situation like the above? Maybe wrap some cord around the cable?

I'd usually set the bell and ball closure on the piece that is being felled first. Then pull the slack out towards the anchor and begin wraps until the eye could be attached back to the choker with a nice stout clevis. I never had trouble with keeping the bell and ball attached, if that's your question. Just make it all snug enough to bind. If you have to you can wedge the cable in the bell with a little piece of wood.

I'd try my best to arrange things so when the load hits the cable, the choker is straight away from the anchor rather than put in a bend on the clevis. How you run the wraps can do a lot for adjusting to the right length and orientation.

Last edited:
Back