Tree felling vids

Hi Willie. I can tell you how to on a puter: at the top right of the IG post you want to share you will see 3 dots; click on the dots and that will produce a bunch of options; click on 'copy link'; then go to the 'House thread you want to share it on and paste it there as you would anything else that you copy and paste. Hope that helps

A trick, if you like... shave the bark off the back strap/ holding wood for accuracy in establishing your thickness. If you cut from one side of the hinge toward the rear of the tree, you frequently can get the nose to emerge, from which point, you can move to the other side, insert your bar, and cut back to the hinge in one plane, before releasing.

Walt is good old guy who has shared a lot of knowledge about saws and what he has learned about felling on his channel. He doesn’t claim to be an expert and just shows what works for him while hoping to generate discussion and make things safer. He’s logging his own place for himself at his own pace obviously. He used to run shorter bars but as he’s gotten older, he’s gone longer for less running around the tree, reaching, and bending. Usually has a tractor with another saw or two handy.

Drone footage at the start to look at the tree. Flop is at around 10:50. I'm easily impressed and this impressed me. I'm enamored with Monkey Puzzle trees, never having met one. Plus the guys outfit was interesting and he side cut his holding wood to match his 36" bar which I don't think I've heard about before. Did I mention Monkey Puzzles are cool as all get out?

That was okay.

Wedges and ax should be where they can be reached without looking, and the sawyer should be watching above.

Shouldn't be cutting the off the side for no reason, he was cutting the hinge from both sides, anyway. Had a convex rear of hinge.

A tree with cones of that size should obviously be worked with a helmet, like every other tree.

Did I mention Monkey Puzzles are cool as all get out?

You might not be saying that if you ever have to climb one.

Everything is spiked and the jabs easily get infected.

I have climbed a few, just spurring up the trunk and there are small whirls of spikes at each branch collar. Almost impossible to not get knuckled when flipping up the tree.

My mate had to drag them out and his legs looked like he had German Measels.

I'm with Sean...cutting that off side of the hinge was not something I'd do. It is a good shot into a tight lay with serious consequences if messed up; takes some confidence to make that call.

I'd not make the face and back cuts that way, and I'm pretty sure I could do so in about half the time he took; but one cannot argue much with success, which he certainly produced.

I am no fan of monkey puzzle trees. Like Rich says, covered in spiky growths, and look weirdly out of place to my eye, when planted here in western Oregon. But they are interesting to look at, I suppose.

Must be worried about skin cancers, with that outfit. That's not stupid. Did need a helmet. That was :).

Saw my first monkey puzzle tree a year or two ago. I think I wrote about it at the time. Guy was a tree collector. Those things get huge. I wonder if he knows that? From memory, it was somewhat close to the house, but very close to a concrete walk. That walk's gonna get thrashed. Cool looking trees.

I'm with Sean...cutting that off side of the hinge was not something I'd do. It is a good shot into a tight lay with serious consequences if messed up; takes some confidence to make that call.

I'd not make the face and back cuts that way, and I'm pretty sure I could do so in about half the time he took; but one cannot argue much with success, which he certainly produced.

I am no fan of monkey puzzle trees. Like Rich says, covered in spiky growths, and look weirdly out of place to my eye, when planted here in western Oregon. But they are interesting to look at, I suppose.

Must be worried about skin cancers, with that outfit. That's not stupid. Did need a helmet. That was :).
Humboldt and higher back cut?

Monkey Puzzles have purplish knot-wood, I hear. Woodturners like it cut with the whole in the middle of the blank, and turn them in an unusual orientation. The axis of the lathe is parellel with the pith, rather than perpendicular.

I gave some away to turners. My friend had some flatsawn for interior ceiling panelling on an enclosed porch, but ended up with mold. I don't know if he built with green wood, with insulation above/ lack of ventilation, or what.

Humboldt and higher back cut?
It's much less about those decisions than about the cutting techniques. He goes back and forth from each side far more than is necessary. I'd cut that face from one side and then the other, moving only once each for the flat and then sloping cuts. Or do it all from one side. I've described that method before. Then same for the back cut.

But I have no rub with his results. Good face. Tree hit precisely where it had to. Just more futzing around than I like.

Standing in front of his face cut and thinking he can accurately check his gun is a waste of time. Seems like he uses his gunning sites regularly and fairly well, so I don't get this. Maybe just nervous...that would be understandable.

I have no idea how monkey puzzle wood hinges. Anyone know?

I have no idea how monkey puzzle wood hinges. Anyone know?

I can’t actually answer that, from a felling perspective. I don’t know if I am lucky or unlucky.

Lucky that I have never had to fell one from ground level?

Or

Unlucky that I have had to climb the ones I have removed.

So, I have no idea how it would hold on with a full crown weight. I can say though the limbs, as soon as the back cut touches the branch, it just pops. Rendering the face cut pointless in most cases. That is alive and dead branches, then they explode when the hit the floor.

Almost impossible to cut and hold as the fronds (?) each have a infection inducing needle end.

The ones I have removed though were pretty sappy from memory. The timber was heavy and we were asked to ring it up between whirls of branches so the grain and branch unions would shine when they had been turned.

I think in the UK things like MP and B walnut have a reputation for being valuable timbers for turning.

That is a myth as I am sure there are people out there who would pay but most people I have had request it then come and pick through the pieces and either take nothing or 1 small piece.

In other words, don’t expect to retire from the sales and best off just getting rid asap, unless you already have an outlet for the timber.

Being one, I can tell you, that you are right.

Simply because if you have to pay too much for the wood, the price of the finished thing will be so high, it won't sell.

So it is actually more like the customers that are cheap.

here, at least.

Back