Tree felling vids

To me, the push in Dutchman from a face within a face as shown is from specifically the horizontal cut bypassing the slanted.
The close of a horizontal bypass (past slanted) gives a close down the column(s) of fibers at their greatest strength/least give.
The tree lunges forward and just the front face meets this stop too early, and gives this split decision of to go forward and not.
As the internal battle between forces 'over rules the constitution of the spar'.
Are playing with a freight train of force that slap a step hard.
HingeFiber_2_bypass.png

If instead the slanted bypasses the horizontal cut; then the resulting early close is ACROSS the fiber column(s) on the more proper fold axis of least strength, more at Samson angle. This will have most flex/least push back for the Dutchman (d)effect.
>>vs. closing force ported purely down pure relentless Greek column of greatest support and resistance.
Step Dutchman would be purposefully kerfing into the lean side to give that early close to push across;
as like Equal/Opposite angled strategy of Tapered Hinge pulling from 'offside' (Dent) across trying to reign in the same side lean.
Dutchman can invoke speedSquared of e=mcSquared, Tapered can not.
Full face kerf close on small horizontals, top hops etc.
>>need close from horizontal across fiber columns to work most powerfully.
Pairing the antagonistics of Step Dutchman and Tapered Hinge can give 'Swing Dutchman'.
i think if moving along a gradient fade from compressed to tensioned, there must be a Switzerland neutral between !
edit: have 'rip cut'/no faced many branches, usually down to lower 45degree of not down into fiercest pull of gravity.
>>tied into parent etc. from above the works.

Last edited:
I wonder if Schulz brings his own ground guys/rope guy to those technical jobs, I would think he would kinda have to.

Tree removal in those tight urban setting is top of the food chain imo

The educated climber Patrick has a fantastic podcast with shultz. What he said was on side jobs he would bring his own crew but when he contract climbs it's who ever is there from the other company. He said the reason is because it would be alot more complicated on the business end of things.

I can totally understand the biz complications but wow, poor rope running can make things mad complicated up in a tree, toot suite

I wonder if Schulz brings his own ground guys/rope guy to those technical jobs, I would think he would kinda have to.

Tree removal in those tight urban setting is top of the food chain imo

He is good, but sometimes I watch and it is as though he maxes out the rigging / tree /scenario a bit too much. I have removed many trees in tight cityscapes. You don’t need to max it out every time. Just because the rigging system can handle a certain amount doesn’t mean you have to use it. The go big or go home method isn’t always the best.

Go big in those scenarios often means you stand and wait up the tree for the poor grounds person to sort the mahoosive mess you just sent down.

Nice video. I really enjoyed that.
Made me miss working in Elms, ours are looong gone.
You've got a good guy on the ropes.

Richard and I have always operated with what we call " the bottle neck system" trying to set up jobs so everything runs smoothly.
Too slow a climber and the bottle neck is in the tree.
Climber bombing the groundies, bottle neck is on the ground.

Like when you can just drop everything and have a chipper running, If the big ego climber just keeps piling stuff up, it takes way longer for the groundies to untangle than if he drops one branch at the time and maybe takes a little extra care to do that extra cut, so the branch will fit into the chipper.

Since all of our guys have always been shifting between climbing, lowering and dragging brush, it has been an easy thing to implement.

Nice video. I really enjoyed that.
Made me miss working in Elms, ours are looong gone.
You've got a good guy on the ropes.

Richard and I have always operated with what we call " the bottle neck system" trying to set up jobs so everything runs smoothly.
Too slow a climber and the bottle neck is in the tree.
Climber bombing the groundies, bottle neck is on the ground.

Like when you can just drop everything and have a chipper running, If the big ego climber just keeps piling stuff up, it takes way longer for the groundies to untangle than if he drops one branch at the time and maybe takes a little extra care to do that extra cut, so the branch will fit into the chipper.

Since all of our guys have always been shifting between climbing, lowering and dragging brush, it has been an easy thing to implement.

Totally agree. Work to the bottle neck.

By all means, wang half of the tree off when there are 3 on the ground with an avant. 1 or two guys and a narrow exit point And make the extra cut up the tree to save the guys on the ground picking up a saw. Bang it straight through the chipper.

If only everyone had the same ethos.

Lotta that balance point rigging, or at least not butt tying every limb, makes a big difference, helps lower forces in the tree and often makes it easier to land pieces oriented well for the chipper, as long as you trust your rope man!!!!!!

Last edited:
Is there even one tree service in Mass that doesn't have a crane, usually a grove 3060? It would seem not.

Um, no.

A Grove 3060 is too small for the fine folks at "Stumpy's". And gotta love their disclaimer form found under "approving work"

Um, no.

A Grove 3060 is too small for the fine folks at "Stumpy's". And gotta love their disclaimer form found under "approving work"

I don't see what your are talking about regarding "approving work"

Back