Tree felling vids

That's a whole lotta tree for ANYONE! AND WTF are you doing making big rip cuts with your lanyard right underneath the cut? I don't care what kind of species it is. That's just a terrible example... just throw your lanyard above the limb and have at it... I AM a huge advocate of the many advantages of rip cuts, and have put out several videos showing their use. BUT I always warn the viewer to not do EXACTLY what you just did. I just hope your sloppy techniques and lackadaisical attitude don't come back and bite you one day. I don't mean to be too harsh, but I really do get concerned for your safety. The very small chances of anything going wrong on any particular cut add up over time and stack the odds against you finishing your career unscathed. You pinched a bar early shallow notch at 14:35 ripped right past the notch and pulled fibers 3' to 4' down the stem. If your lanyard had been under that rip you'd have been in trouble. I kept thinking all your notches are shallow and was waiting for that to happen. I just don't have any experience working with cottonwood, so I was thinking that maybe you knew something about the way those limbs tear, until I saw that. Were you expecting that rip as a possibility? It didn't look like you were. If not, those are the times to do some serious reflection on exactly what happened, why it happened, and what you could do differently next time. Just blowing off those mishaps and not learning from them is a big mistake. You're a little young to be getting complacent. One handing with the kickback inducing top of the bar tip contacting the wood at 15:12. another example of sloppy saw handling that is potentially very dangerous NEEDLESSLY ONE HANDING at 15:59 again with the tip of the bar contacting wood in a fairly uncontrolled manner and all with your leg within inches of the bar and in the plane of the bar. I don't; mean to sound like a Debbie downer, but you're an accident waiting to happen. NO REASON not to put two hands on the saw there. that's far too sloppy saw handling. I one hand plenty and don;t much care for the rules that tell a 40-year veteran that he has to handle the saw the same as a rookie, and I know enough to know when one-handing looks unsafe. August puts out some videos that show one handing that IMO sets a bad example even though it might be plenty safe for a man with his experience... Yours is beyond just setting a bad example.. it's just DANGEROUS!!! 30:54, losing that top slightly off the lay to the side weight wasn't as bad. No harm no foul, and the kind of thing that could happen to anyone. There are still lessons to be learned though. That's the type of thing I study in slow motion to figure out exactly what happened and try to learn from it. ps... do your wife and kids a favor by carrying a tourniquet up there
Show less

The Ladder Master! Virtually flawless execution. Got the top down, ladder stayed put, and he didn't fall or get hit with anything. Almost tied himself around the stem, but that's thinking outside the box. I'm sure he did that to keep himself in place.

This vid was kinda fun and interesting. It's Jed's former coworker. It's a vid about a tree that gave him problems. He showed a good humble attitude about the kind of tree job that we've all had more than one of. When you hear his thoughts on it it will probably make you chuckle cuz, yeah, we've all been there. You may have to FF a bit but it's worth checking out. :rockhard:

Thanks Cory, I skipped through the vid.

I like Jacob Rogers. He makes good vids, and I do appreciate his time and talent, but sometimes he gets too analytical about the little things.

If he cut the fat and kept the lean that vid would've been better at half its length. A short synopsis of the highlights. 10 minutes.

Small details and subjective view points (the fat) is more appreciated in the broader educational topics of treework.

It's difficult to combine drama and documentary. So to speak.

Jacob's aim is on target. I truly appreciate that. He just needs a little polishing.

He's a smart and ambitious young man.

And that's a wonderful thing.

Back