Tree felling vids

Yeah he knew what he did was special, even though he made it look so easy

I saw that, too!!! He really impressed me with all of it. Sharp saw, good cuts, off the scale strength and agility...probably a fun guy to know.

I've never cut a palm, do they cut easily or was that saw razor sharp?

I was mighty impressed with the palm tree climbers in India. they used a foot strap as the only climbing aid. it was just a short loop, either woven coconut fibers or synthetic.

I think they were climbing 50 trees a day and pruning with a machete

Well cool.

When I was in Koh Phangan last year. One morning Haakon and myself were walking back from the gym and the guy who offered the local coconut picking service was out with his crew.

3 monkeys/gibbons/chimps (other primates are available ;)) each had about 50metres of 10mm rope attached to a neck collar.

He just sent them up the trees and they picked the coconut and chucked them down. Really impressive.

I hear you there Mick. At first glance it was impressive at how he must have trained them, but I reckon the rope and the big walking stick were for beatings and not pointing.

I've never cut a palm, do they cut easily or was that saw razor sharp?
They are very dense wet and fibrous, coconuts are pretty tame and trunks cut fairly easily if your saw is sharp and you don't have to spend much time cutting them and you make sure to clear the bar of the pulp between cuts, . Bigger fatter heavier species can squash your bar almost as soon as you put a cut in, you have to plan ahead!
The pulp will jam up your saw something bad if you don't rev it a bit between cuts, it tends to accumulate around the drive sprocket and slow things up if you don't keep an eye on it.
It gets worse once you get close to the head, cutting old leaf bases and new fronds. There are lots of fibres, almost like cloth, and they can get wound around the drive sprocket, jammed in the bar and nose sprocket..

And if that's not enough the sap will erode the metal in your saw and rust the bar and chain overnight if you don't clean them straight away

wow, rich, that is crazy, Iv'e never heard of nor seen that.

Good info, bermy

I'd still like to know how he cut off those fronds on top and how he ascended

This guy must be a relative of Daniel Murphy.

As in, lots of talk, nothing working like it should.

Trying to manipulate mature oak is a fools errand.

This guy must be a relative of Daniel Murphy.

As in, lots of talk, nothing working like it should.

Trying to manipulate mature oak is a fools errand.

If he was a relative of mine Stig, he would have had a rope high in the tree tied to that dozer. That's how I manipulate mature oak. Here's a tree that would have made you tiptoe out of the yard. Funny how you want to drag my name into this thread after the powers that be pulled the "video slam with Jed" thread when I exposed your deficiencies and limited understanding.

Personally I like August's videos a lot, but that they could choose his over Graeme in the Tahune tree is beyond me to understand.

No one is going to agree on any overall list, but, I woulda voted Reg #1 in multiple categories, woulda given it to August for cinematography, given it to Buckin or Reg for Most Inspirational, and without a doubt, Tahune is # 1 all-time tree vid imo

Back