Tree felling vids

I am just catching up around here so it was new to me... Great vid so I figured I would comment....

Hope you and yours are staying safe and sane during these crazy times Mick....

Yea, I knew that dead tan oak was gonna try and get me. I'm usually not one to stand around and admire my work when I'm pitching trees uphill, but I had to run my tail off on this one...

Yea, I knew that dead tan oak was gonna try and get me. I'm usually not one to stand around and admire my work when I'm pitching trees uphill, but I had to run my tail off on this one...
Nothing wrong with a life-saving sprint. your wife's excitement was palpable. You could hear it in her breath. "Welcome to the office honey"

Well done, Rico. For true, get thee gone from the stump and especially beyond the reach of hazards seen ahead of time.

Doug Dent taught us to not fall the primary tree if we saw such a potential hazard as you noted. His protocol was to fall the offending hazard first. I've done it his way, and done it your way too, as circumstances seemed to me to dictate. We all get to make those choices. If we choose correctly, we live to cut another one.

I approve of the skull bucket, sir. Classic!

Well done, Rico. For true, get thee gone from the stump and especially beyond the reach of hazards seen ahead of time.

Doug Dent taught us to not fall the primary tree if we saw such a potential hazard as you noted. His protocol was to fall the offending hazard first. I've done it his way, and done it your way too, as circumstances seemed to me to dictate. We all get to make those choices. If we choose correctly, we live to cut another one.

I approve of the skull bucket, sir. Classic!
Thanks Burnahm

I would have just fallen the crispy dead oak if it were that simple... It had a decent head lean which was gunned directly at some valuables which were just off to the left of my lay with the Redwood. My options were to climb that crispy POS and chunk it down (not gonna happen), or simply brush it knowing the momentum of the Red would bust the dead tan oak and push it away from the valuables, and right into my escape route...Thankfully it worked as planned, I got to work on my 100 yard dash, and the bride got more exercise than she's had in the last 3 months.......

As I said, choice made as circumstances dictate. I'd have done the same, from your description, not a doubt in my mind.

Using the elasticity of the rope sure works well, when you are working alone.

Using the elasticity of the rope sure works well, when you are working alone.
I have been working by myself for almost 2 months now, and am only attempting to do work I know I can do myself. A little change in my game plan and some adapting and thus far it has gone fairly well..

I have actually enjoyed the peace and quiet, which has allowed me to really listen to the little voices inside my head...

Last edited:
Why are ya working alone, basically cuz employees are headaches?

No...In the hopes of ending this pandemic ASAP I am doing my part to have as little contact with others as is humanly possible.. Some of the dudes are work with a freaking animals and I have no idea where they have been lately so I really don't feeling like being in a truck with these fools or handling the same ropes, saws, and gear all day...Plus I have been living with chronic lyme disease for a very long time so I guess you would say I have a precondition, so the last thing I need is a little Covid Cooties raining on my parade...I have told my clients that if they can be patient I would love to do their job when things settle down, but if they cant I send them to a couple buddies who are forging ahead as if nothing is going on.

Last edited:
Back