Tree felling vids

Nice fell, Jed...but here we go again :)...wrap that dadblammed thumb, ya numbnuts! Another Doug Dent C cutter certification fail, right there.
:D.

Boring??? You are nuts. That was cool to see. I have not seen a clump felled like that before. I thought you were doing 2...then all four went....cool.

That inclusion seemed to negate the hinge connection on the back-stem, to no problematic-end.

What's good about that video from a biz perspective:
--no, customer, it's not just cut it until it falls, or pull superduper hard with a skid-steer.
--yes, customer we are working in a coordinated team

I musta missed the boring part. Nice job. Not a fan of grabbing the bar tip like that. I get it but yeah nah.

Were you tied to the back leader on that forked one? I'm sure you were. Or maybe both were tied, would suck to have them split before committed to the lay.

Nice work Jed.

Was the rope up top tying them all together?

No Mick... That clump was SUPER limb-locked... I just put the rope in the back stem. You can see the two most side-leaning stems just fall out once the whole mess gets over center.

August: Thanks. WAAAY encouraging coming from YOU.

Sean: You think so? Thanks for the insight... maybe I'll leave that one on the sim card for em.

Corey: I know watcha mean. Can you imagine if a guy grabbed the pistol and squirted your fingers off?

Gary: Thanks a bunch.

Man, you really need to practise knowing where your bar tip is without having to fondle it.

Stig, I presume he does that to make sure the bar is flush against the back of hinge and hasn't vibrated back as he goes to far side to check progress. Not a fan of the practice but yeah.

Jedidiah, GOOD!

I like the blue handle and wedge, best color for non-losing, where do you get the blue wedges?

What's up with that bracelet on your wrist? It looks nice but I'd be worried in your line of work about it getting snagged resulting in hand or arm removal.

Nice, busting out the axe-in-the-backcut/Hotsaws 101 technique, least that's where I seen it.

LOL re classifying that vid on youtube in the Comedy genre. Lordy you is a humble self deprecating mofo.

Ya know, I dig the ultra short vid. Now that tree vids have been going strong for what, 20 years, short can work very well. Battles jadedness.

Man, you really need to practice knowing where your bar tip is without having to fondle it.

Suburban arboriculture leads to a different mentality than logging. Jed is making good money and saving time by dropping the trees, rather than climbing and rigging them, and most importantly not having to fix that fence which would be extremely costly in, time, and goodwill with the customer. The few extra seconds it takes to double-check the far side of the hinge is insignificant in this scenario, where he may only be dropping these trees for his entire day.

It's the repetitive aspect of falling in logging that makes honing one's skills so important in day to day production. And it's easy to learn to use the gunning line to know where your tip is without walking around the tree. Still, I would never fault anyone for wanting to be extra sure about the hinge in this scenario.

What's up with the pull line Jed?

Precision is important, all around.
Woods, suburbs, elevator-access SF roof.

Until you aim for precision, you aren't honing your skills as well.

Stig: It goes without saying that you are absolutely right. I now have the unprecedented pleasure of profusely thanking Mr. Murphy (and Sean) for making me a rather worthy defense though... We tree-service guys are going to be EXTREMELY hard-pressed, even with our entire bodies, to come up with half of the falling experience that the crappiest timber-cutter could easily produce from the little finger of his left hand. I wouldn't make a zit on a timber fallers' ass. For this reason, old man that I am, I am yet desperately trying to break into the PNW commercial faller's ranks, but it's a lot easier said than done.

Regarding my "GoPro Vanity" thread... it doesn't appear that the Christian sin of vanity has yet forced the kind of repentance on me that it might have been expected to, since I will now be imposing upon all of you these rather dull vids of two quite pedestrian plywood shots.

Plywood shot #1...https://youtu.be/PZXFZCiw3zk

Shot #2...https://youtu.be/G2y423nS1CY

Corey: Yeah!... Blue shows up really well here especially in the darkest winter months, which I've always though was a bit weird... bit of a Light of Elendil type of effect. HUMBLE! :lol: Imo humble men do not post endless, "Hey mom! Look at me!!! No hands!" type of stuff.

...where do you get the blue wedges?

What's up with that bracelet on your wrist?

Sorry, man fergot to answer. :|:.. Yeah, man those are all from Madsen's. The one's I have in the vid are not that great since they have a bit steeper taper, but the OLD ones the Blue Ox's... now those were the stuff... they were just a bit wider, but appreciably shallower on the taper, so they stacked like a dream and lifted the world. The new ones we only use for single drives. If you have to stack, then you usually have to go with the red and white KandH's from Medford. ABS plastic is really weird. It appears that something as subtle as the type of dye used in the mix will actually affect the durometer of the plastic. Even the old Blue Ox's were just a bit too hard to stack super well. You almost need em a bit softer (again KandH's are the stuff!) to grip each other really well on the double-up. All ABS plastic has higher compression strength (I think) than any North American wood, so, to me the durometer is really a moot point, except that the harder ones can tend to be just a bit more durable in some ways, but then, when you miss, they "chip" a lot worse (rather than mushroom) than the softer stuff. Just about all Washingtonian fallers are K and H men... unless they got a better deal on other stuff. That color blue shows up really well in a dark wood.

That is an Orthodox prayer bracelet, which is usually only worn by monastics, and which 90% of Orthodox would consider way too sanctimonious to ever be caught dead with in public. Outside of monastic circles they are generally only worn by extreme Orthodox "newbies," which I certainly am. They are designed to get a man away from that silly sort of Protestant, extemporaneous type of prayer that I grew up with. You know: the kind that begins with a diagnosis of the patient's condition, followed by priceless advice for how the Great Physician should best go about treating the condition. (Just as if He shouldn't be expected to know best.) Instead, for each of the fifty beads on the bracelet, one has only to picture the person (even yourself) one is praying for in one's head, and repeat the phrase, "Lord have mercy," for each bead in rapid succession. You finish on the fiftieth (and largest, cross-shaped bead) with the phrase, "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me." I only wear mine because a dude from our church went to a monastery in Serbia and brought it back for me. That, and it's already gotten me out of a couple of jambs already. Works a treat! Try it Butch!! ;)

Good info on wedges. I go K+H pretty much.

Cool on the bracelet, but lordy don't get it snagged please.

Back