Tree felling vids

Nice job Jed.

Some nice rigging on the Japanese railways. I am impressed with the log stack at the end

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qUa7qHVLI5s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMPRESSIVE. All without anything more than chainsaws and winches for power tools.

Jed, Good Shooting.
What about just undercutting the COG, and save your joints and the wedges?

I've beat over a tree or two. A sharp saw with refillable dino power for me, when I can get gravity to do the rotating. Not just the years, it's the miles.

$0.02

Sean: Just judging from the pics of the work that you have generously thrown up over the years... I would have little reason to argue with you. You and I are in pretty much the exact same region, and I would think that there would be very little deviation in the way in which you and I approach a given treework situation. I do disagree with you here but it's small potatoes, and I feel like a bit of a hypocrite, since I've got absolutely ZERO qualms about COG cuts 150' up the stem. I just can't get on board at the stump.

Beat over a tree or two? Yeah, dude, I remember when you were working for parks, and used to complain about sore wrists... man... tree service is a bit different, isn't it. Skinny little tweaker that I am, I've never had so much as a twinge of discomfort off a wedge bang. I hand split about 7 cords per winter, as well, and I've gotta brag that I've never experience ANY joint pain outa the gig. :?:|:. Beer?... I dunno :?:|:

Here Here, lets hear it for hand splitters! :drink: I'm of that ilk too

I handsplit my whole frigging life since I was old enough to split and not just carry the wood.

Now? 4' Core 'bunks' from work backed up to a table saw, cut in three dumped into a tractor bucket, delivered to my doorstep.

I don't miss it. I did it 30ish years, give or take a couple years of misspent youth. Every now and then I swing the maul, no I haven't forgotten how to do it, but I sure don't miss it. But I also don't take cold showers, deny myself sugar and eat poisonous plants. I'm crazy like that. :P:D

Looks like huge lengths could be split. Might need a machine to load those lengths, though:|:.

How is the cycle-time and power?

Sean, tbh. it’s a bit of a disappointment, I got it with a meter long ram to offer it as a extra to clients.

Within 30 seconds I realised there wasn’t enough flow to power it through large pieces.

Fine for my personal woodpile, otherwise an expensive (though tax deductible) folly.

Here Here, lets hear it for hand splitters! :drink: I'm of that ilk too

So I probably shoulda qualified, man... when I say that I hand split 7 cords, that's true enough, but what I didn't tell ya is that it's often enough from the straightest, clearest, fluffiest (lotsa early wood) Doug Fir that a man coud ever get his sappy little hands on. My 17 yr. old daughter could blow through a cord of it with a double bitted axe with less pain than she typically endures at the rock gym. CRAZY buggers, rock climbers. Why do they do it to themselves? Is it just an American thing, Mick? No, if I lived where there were any nasty hardwoods like you folks routinely deal with... I'd be a hydraulic guy fer real. Corey, you are one savege sonofagun.

Btw. thanks for the encouragement about short vids. I'm thinking that if my extremely pedestrian motife of "Brushless Stub Falls and Hits Ground" is to continue much longer, the "Micro-vid," (say... 7 seconds?) might be much preferable to the cinomatographic masterpiece which you are about to behold, in which I forget to wrap my thumb for Burnham, and walk out in front of the stub like a dummy just waiting to get hisself kilt.

https://youtu.be/tqiq9Gl3M08

So I probably shoulda qualified, man... when I say that I hand split 7 cords, that's true enough, but what I didn't tell ya is that it's often enough from the straightest, clearest, fluffiest (lotsa early wood) Doug Fir that a man coud ever get his sappy little hands on.

Well duh! You are a tree guy who is gonna high grade all the available stock, I do the same. Yeah I hand split but I definitely aint no savage.

That indoor rock climbing is the shit! You ever go climbing with her? I blew out my dang middle finger doing it:whine:

Not for me.
The time you assess what's going on, it's finished. No clue about the before nor the after. You know almost nothing about the job and it's conditions, the constraints, what's involved ... then BAM, that's all folks!
I find that extremely deceptive.
It's like a stop at the stand in a F1 racing. The crew performing its task is really impressive to see, but it's an awfully too short bit to tell the story of the race.
7 " ? Nah...

Mick, I thought the loader would be a whole lotta power-plant, looking at smaller splitter's flow rates. Maybe the cylinder size is proportionately bigger on yours? What is your hydraulic flow rate?

Jed, do you use a double-bit ax for splitting?

IME, they are for clean chopping on one side, dirty chopping on the other. One razor sharp, one sharp. Neither side for splitting.

Vid I took yesterday of one of the beech trees I felled. All were heavily decayed, this one, although not the biggest at about 75ft, but was the furthest gone & nearly went sideways on me (hence the wedge as it was beginning to twist & break due to the asymmetric crown weight). Nothing exciting, just bread & butter work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fcUI1a4a_5o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

zero holding ability from rotted beech hinges... looks like it went with gravity the whole way.. the only way to gain any control is to use a pull line and counter the lean with an equal and opposite compensation pull... Nice to split the uprights like it was all part of the plan! Hopefully, this serves as a lesson to any viewer that is looking for control from rotted beech hinges.

Back