Tree felling vids

Reg put up a new one
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SwfHnA1ufRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looked to me like he cut those pieces straight thru, just like Jack...hmmmmm.

He REALLY "sawed some lean into those big pieces"!!! Cool work. Crazy seeing the camera spin like that. Helmet fell off his head?

Looked to me like he cut those pieces straight thru, just like Jack...hmmmmm.

Very true. But unlike Jack, each piece Reg cut went where he wanted it to go without exception. Control is the name of the game mate, regardless of how old or young you are.

Jomo

The noise is about me wearing my specs when I first watched Jack's video. My specs are for distance, not up close. I watched his vid, him all bundled up for winter so I couldn't get a read on his age. Looking at his avatar's profile I misread the 70, thinking it said 20, and commented on his chainsaw work in the tree lacking control using his bar tip in the pie cuts in the vids first few sequences.

An honest mistake. He faked me out good.

I've apologized for it twice now. To him and his many friends.

I hope this third apology does the trick?

In truth Jack does pretty dang good in the tree for a 70 year old!

Jomo

Agreed.

Reg always strikes me as having extreme precision in all that he does with tree work. I can't think of anyone else on the 'net that is as good overall. His older vids of crane work were very impressive, very large, balanced, smooth picks. So it makes me wonder; is he truly one of the few best in the world or are there many, many, many folks every bit as good as him but essentially unknown cuz they don't do vids??

The latter. I personally can think of a man that trumps him by a margin. Not with precision, but with really pushing the envelope and making faster work of the tree. The best climbers that have walked are probably unknown outside of their community. I think some of the baddest climbers to walk the earth have retired by now. The up and coming generation of climbers makes me LOL. They move around the tree well, but pound for pound, hour for hour, dollar for dollar, don't have the sheer guts that the previous generation had.

Some of those old school long gone climbers probably have little to show for their career aside from a few faded polaroids of them standing beside a big log at the stump with a cigarette in their teeth and a big Mac or Pioneer standing on the nose of the bar in their hand.

I think some of the best climbers the industry has known are rather humble. Not ones to showboat. Here to kill a tree, get paid, and head to the tap room for a beer or two before heading to bed.

Good post, Chris. Made me think of an old timer that i saw up in a Paulownia tree once in of all places, Tokyo. He used his body (shoulders) in ways to lower wood that I had never seen before, no gear other than a saw and a thick manilla rope. I think those skills are gone.

Alcoholics have often proven to be outrageously talented climbers in a lot of instances too. Pot smokers too. Im not endorsing or insulting any of those behaviors, but some of the best climbers I ever knew, were chemically dependent. Sometimes its the guys that just don't give a shit. They just live rough, and work hard.

Back