Tree Care in Developing Nations

Yup lots of bamboo scaffolding in the east. Companies in HK have a hard time bidding; one inspector will insist on scaffolding; another may "tolerate" rope and saddle.

Teh culture seems tilted toward lots of labor needed, just to keep all them peoples busy doing something. 8 sweepers full time per public park; no blowers.

I saw that in a town near me a couple of years ago.
3 guys buildt scaffolding around a semi large beech tree and cut it into small pieces that could be hand thrown off the scaffolding.
It took them 3 days, all told.

Since there was nothing underneath the tree so everything could have been bombed, I could have done the job on my own in maybe 3-3 hrs.:lol:

What I see in Asia is much what Stig and Leon have described. Though there is a small element in society that has the sense and budget to want to well maintain tress, the average person does not have the sophistication to really appreciate the advantages.

In Japan it is a strange thing. Obviously there is a tradition for ornamental pruning at the highest level, lots of old places that will take your breath away, treasures no doubt, where you can only marvel at the people that deigned where the made and maintained garden would integrate so remarkably with the natural environment behind, given such a location. Unfortunately, there is also the utmost crudeness that can be seen. Farmers are often an odd lot. They will have this big interest in bonsai or delicately raising Chrysanthemums for show, but if you look around their places at the trees, you might be thinking that a smack down is in order. You would have thought that they had cultivated a better eye towards trees as a whole. I can't much see foreigners getting work, unless there was a connection to someone living in the country in a convincing position. It might be interesting to learn that in the best gardens, generally when the trees get too big to prune and still harmonize as originally intended, they get replaced...removals :) . It is the old way of doing things, but often now we get asked to top the buggers.

Butch gets a little wound up, sometimes:lol:

As for the scaffolding thing, I've never seen it before or after.
Each time I drove by, I berated myself for not remembering to bring my camera.

Me & my guy have hashed around the idea of being groundskeeper / arborists at a few locations (Mackinac Island comes to mind) and it seems like we'd have to be hired on (as a couple) in that capacity, offering a turn-key type outdoor service. Feature a resort or b'zillionaire's estate. We'd be responsible for damn near everything outside, and I think we've got the skill set to do it. We'd need extra help locally so it'd offset most of the perceived threat. I dunno? For us it'd be mostly to be able to crash in the pool house or whatever on the property rent free (per se) and enough money to live on, but that'd be about it as far as my expectations.

Back