Tip for Rope guys OMG!!! watch this

Pure stupidity. Don't wrap a rope around anything you don't want to lose.

I don't know what was going on with the climber.

NO STUBS!!!

Whole bunch of things went wrong there. Seen it... Painful... posted it for the crew to see.... Hopefully they will "get it".

My ground guy yesterday had the rope around his back but not totally around him. From now on if I say use the Porty they are going to do just that! I am not letting something like that happen on my job if I can avoid it. Something tells me I have a bit more experience than those guys :lol: All in all a very tough lesson for them but good on them for showing the video and the person that posted it! We are reminded of the dangers of our work.

Using your body as a lowering device was once a proven method for some pros in some parts of the world. I watched it done very effectively in Tokyo more than a few years ago. The fellow doing the work in the tree would have the rope running across his upper back as he was hunched over. Old or ancient school, he very much seemed to know what he was doing, and it was quite impressive how he managed weight. It wasn't unplanned for like in the vid.

Wow!! Looked like the groundie landed back on his feet...kinda. Much bad juju there. Hope they weren't hurt too badly there.

Using your body as a lowering device was once a proven method for some pros in some parts of the world. I watched it done very effectively in Tokyo more than a few years ago. The fellow doing the work in the tree would have the rope running across his upper back as he was hunched over. Old or ancient school, he very much seemed to know what he was doing, and it was quite impressive how he managed weight. It wasn't unplanned for like in the vid.
....it is old , Ski Patrol uses it to lower guests on lift evac....called the Swiss Belay , teams of two run the rope over arms ...rope runs armpit to armpit across the back. Second belay is really a backup for a big stupid heavy or if first belay loses footing

I knew a dude who died because he wrapped the rope around his hand, tope went back like in video and he was dragged across the yard and broke his neck when he hit the tree:(

Another one of your samurai tree man stories.:thumbup:

That's why I love the maasdam rope puller. Every job I do I always have someone to tell not to wrap the rope around them.

If you like a Maasdam rope puller, you would also very much like an endless line cable puller, say in the twice the pull capacity of the Maasdam range. Awesome is the word for sketchy heavier trees. The downside is that the cost of a Turfor goes way deeper into your pocket than the rope puller, plus the weight.

Could've been a lot worse. The groundie threaded the needle between the top and the trunk, impact with either would not have been good. Crushed skull or impaled on a stub, both would most likely ended with a trip into eternity. That top looked like a giant morning star (spiked club). I would've liked to have seen the entirety of their rigging. Surely he didn't think he could hold that much weight.

I think they were just trying to pull it off. When it went over backwards the rope went over the limbs

Oh, your right. Thank you! My bad eyes missed it at first, but after reading what you said I put on my magnifiers and watched it closer. And you're right. It was a whole different scenario than what I had thought.

The climber cut the work off and lost it over backwards. Wow!

A chainsaw and rope in the hands of amateurs is a very dangerous combination. Nothing good can happen, nothing good at all.

I have a customer who's cousin lost an ear from a very similar scenario. He wasn't wearing any sort of climb gear, but did have a pull line, the top went back on him opposite of the pull line, and the run away pull line pinched his head on the spar and rope burned his ear off.

Back