Favorite 1/2” rope for natural crotch rigging?

A sling and biner to act as a keeper, not as load bearing point, can aid natural crotch rigging when you have a bit of slope to a large horizontal limb, as I sometimes do with large conifer limbs.

I girth-hitch a sling/ biner on some part of the tree (often the same large limb) to have a fairlead/ keeper biner to clip to the NC-lowering rope to avoid creeping down a limb. The biner can be on either side of the trunk wraps, the standing side or working side, depending. More often on the standing side.

When self-lowering, I've taken to using a sling and biner as a redirect from the wraps to my hand. It gives more distance my hand from the pinch-point where the wraps start around the limb, and moves my (commonly left-) hand away farther away from the saw (commonly right-hand) and moving wood. It gives more friction for the initial deceleration, which is easily unclipped for less friction.

I really like 16 strands for the natural crotch/ beater kind of lines. Bought a hank of true blue recently and it's really good as well. Lighter and easier to knot than arbormaster, seems just as durable so far, and maybe a tad stretchier which is a good thing IMO. Also doesnt seem to hockle as badly...

Three-strand loads preferentially on the porty due to its twisted construction.

I forget whether it's clockwise or counterclockwise.

Clockwise, since it's right hand lay construction. Same with coils, always clockwise. Ironically, same with extension cords and welding leads, one of my biggest pet peeves since i hate hockles getting hung up on everything as you drag it around.

Not for hire, haven't been feeling good enough for that yet (on top of me working full time), and i haven't even found time to get going on my projects much. I did finally take down the maple that dropped a limb on the roof during chemo, i let it go as long as possible since it shaded the house, but it was time. I still have lots of potential tree work so i could maybe start up this fall, but I have zero interest of starting up again til i have the equipment built to make it easy so likely no. I was hoping to drag up this fall and go hit some turnarounds so i could money up and ride unemployment for a bit and finally catch up on stuff, but the wife had other plans :lol: In her defense timing was kinda bad this fall, that's her busy season with the etsy shop, etc. I'm also breaking in a few apprentices that i really like, so that's been making it tolerable to hang out for a bit. It'll happen soon enough, i even got a "i thought you were gonna drag" the other day from her :lol:

Nothing really, the kids got kittens not too long ago, still working local wishing i was on the road lol.
Wow, kittens that bad? Nice to read ya again Kyle.
i think/have always said TrueBlue always seemed like longest wearing, well used rope.
Saw other coreless 12's flatten rarely on severe overload, not Blue.
Quite a contender at 7k+ densely packed into 1/2" frame and still flexible.
".. has a very nice hand..."
Is a great, true company quote, the outer fiber lay and especially that 'Samathane'(?) coating seem to wear like iron also.
>>i think that coating is some trick stuff that should be on other ropes
>>oft tried to decipher if it's tackiness went to glide at higher temp
Knobbiness of this 12 perhaps not as smooth a lowering roll on some stuff vs rounder 16strand;
but easier for gloved hand grip tho in trade.
Knobbiness as a host climbing line seems to give more grab points to friction hitch, not as smooth, was told for this usage is more of a training rope vs the 16's, eventually 24's etc.
>>that was around time 16's like BlueStreak were breaking ground.
Most my rigging 1/2"rigging lines started life as fresh climbing line; figure would take some of the 125# range of elasticity out and get to know rope, before 500#/different range daily rigging duties.
usually had fresh sealed bag of rope tucked away ready to deploy/no reason to chance bluff on old rope.
>>sold it a few times and got new for shelf, didn't want other guys taking chances jsut what with had.
>>strongly rallied to local stores to keep a rope or 2 around, to same philosophy of saving a life.
>>even if no profit, go for the goodwill shown/and why, traffic, including still having that customer
TrueBlue outlasted the 16's over and again,
>>even as eventually rope sections down graded to dragging, tiedowns, after friction extensions and other lower utility/ of non overhead service..
DBY and Blake's are common go to's and rope tests for me; that this line exceeds very well at.
>>not all ropes function well with all knot architectures.
>>just as not all breeds of wood (or forms of metal or plastic) are generically equal in all tasks just because are wood, anymore than any knot works in any rope.

Last edited:
Back