This old Desk

Grendel

TreeHouser
So I started out with a General Fireproofing typewriter desk from the late 40's, which I found on Craigslist for $100.

DSC04487.jpg

DSC04493.jpg

DSC04498.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

One Desk to Rule Them All. One Desk to Find Them. One Desk to bring them all, and in the darkness Bind them!

hahaha :lol: 8)

And one heck of a nice piece of quilted maple in that desk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Stig. An old friend left that in the shop years ago. It was twisted, as they always are, but I figured this would be a good home for it.

Cheers.

Nice job, cool thread. I dig before, during, and after pics

Looks good, but I wonder what will happen if the wood expands within the frame of the metal that binds it's width. Kind of violating a woodwork principle there, so hopefully nothing destructs.

We'll see what happens jay, I bonded the whole underside with marine grade epoxy right to the steel top so it should be fairly stable. Without the banding the top of the desk is like a surface plate, there is no recess the top fits into. The only thing around the lip is the aluminum banding, not the desk itself, and I bet there's enough space to allow for expansion, but still, I'll post a picture if it all blows apart after a rainstorm :/:

:)

Jim, even when well seasoned, wood expands and contracts with humidity changes in the atmosphere. A reason old timber frame construction will creak and groan. Something that wide, maybe a quarter to three-eights. If it was fastened down tight from underneath, cracking is a real possibility. You can fasten down in the middle area, but not to restrict movement as you spread towards the outside. Fastening through slots with screws is pretty standard, as the wood moves, the screws can with it. A number of different methods to deal with that, keeping wood flat while not restricting movement. Sometimes you can get away with restricting, other times unhappy results. Maple can be ornery. Sometimes fun to see what will happen. :|:

I made this for one of our members a number of years ago. Once I moved it to it's new environment, out of the heated shop, all the skirting was promptly splayed apart. Maple moves a LOT.

mapletable.jpg

mapletable3.jpg

mapletable2.jpg

After I worked out all the kinks, she ended up not liking the base, which was my favorite part. Ended up with a much more slender leg arrangement, and I took the old one and made it into a coffee table. haha

Sealing wood, particularly the end grain, slows down movement, why you want to seal the ends of planks before drying. Slower movement makes for more residency and less cracking. Presumably it takes longer for the air to reach the inner material, so the wood changes less abruptly. There is usually a differential between the amount of moisture in wood in the outer layers, and what the water content is deeper inside. It's reasonable stable when it reaches an equilibrium throughout, but if you take a "dry" thick board and slice it down the middle, it will often cup because of having the higher moisture content inner surface suddenly exposed to the air. The freshly cut side is wetter than the other side, or in a very wet time of year, I guess it could be drier inside. Even a multi hundred year old piece of wood could still have 6 or 8 percent of water inside of it, picked up from the air. if you were to completely seal the wood, like with some kind of thick epoxy type finish or something, theoretically the wood not being exposed to the air would remain stable at certain dimensions, but I don't think it ever becomes completely stable and not moving when in wider dimensions. Possibly it still responds due to changes in temperature, or few finishes are completely impervious to air.

Wood might be resistant to moving if enclosed in glass and kept at a constant temperature.

Thanks, and I'm just thankful to still have all my fingers. My table saw and I have an intimate relationship.

I made a small desk for a lottery winner once, and he took me out to dinner too. :) Preferred customers you could say. When your winnings allow, MB, i wouldn't mind working exclusively for you. First a nice frame for the poster of Jimmy!

Back