Another old truck !!

PCTREE

Treehouser
BIG shout out to Cory for driving out and taking a look at this old POS for me! Always sucks when you happen across a deal online and it doesn't make sense to go see it in person as it is so far away.
As some of you may remember I just got an even bigger chipper which weighs in at 17000 lbs !! I have 2 chip trucks, One a CCC trash truck kinda truck with a 38000 GVW and a chevy C6500 GVW 25950. The Chevy isn't going to even begin to cut it with pulling the new chipper so I began to look for a stout cab and chassis. I prefer older trucks with all mechanical systems, ie no computer controlled BS.

Found a 1990 Mack with 24K miles on it, Mack 300 motor which are supposed to be bullit proof with a 5 speed auto . The frame is only 15 ' long so I will have to extend it . I have a 20' dump body on another c6500 that I want to put on it and make it a 40 yard box. The truck is from up north which is a little concerning due to rust but it doesn't look too terrible.

To date my favorite truck is my Grapple truck. 1978 International with a DT466 with an Allison behind it. Absolutely no bells or whistles but just keeps on keeping on.
Another consideration for me is in VA we have to pay yearly property taxes on all of our trucks and equipment so I prefer to run older / cheaper trucks to save having to pay the state too much

Nice - cabover too which will make tight manoeuvres easier. Needs a madmax makeover 🤘😎

what chipper weighs 17000lbs? Must be a monster

Nice!

Keep us posted on the makeover, it will be a great thread, haven't had one of those in a while.

1978 grapple truck? An old truck fo sho, but it does look good in your pics and apparently is a workin fool, gotta love it.

Paul, did you get a whole tree chipper, or one of the larger models from the usual suspects (as they are the only ones that start to reach those weights)? New or used? TIA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephen my nightmare is that Biden will try to outlaw old diesels nationwide. Every piece of equipment I have would be obsolete.

FWIW the guy is asking $8500 for the truck. I will have to spend some getting it up to speed , probably go ahead and replace all the air brake lines etc but when its all done I bet the truck will outlive me !

Beer geek I never buy new. Research the best equipment for your application then be patient and find it. I bought a Conehead 570 with a Cummins 350hp motor. Absolute beast of a chipper. I would imagine if you bought something comparable today it would be $170K. I paid $40K with 670 hours on it D8A31567-3B33-413A-9642-FC757E5D5049.jpeg

That is a picture of us unloading it off a flatbed
The discharge chute is as removed to keep the height legal

does that chipper have a feed bar or is it meant not to be hand-fed?

No feedbar, all the functions are controlled via a wireless remote, it is meant to be fed by equipment . Feed tray is way higher than any chipper Ive seen and very long, no way you can reach the feed wheels. I want to figure out a way to put a couple of cables in the shoot to pull if you are getting sucked in to stop the feed wheels. That sucker would chip a person in seconds......

Stephen my nightmare is that Biden will try to outlaw old diesels nationwide. Every piece of equipment I have would be obsolete.

FWIW the guy is asking $8500 for the truck. I will have to spend some getting it up to speed , probably go ahead and replace all the air brake lines etc but when its all done I bet the truck will outlive me !
Well, CA has a tendency to lead the way with emission and gun laws. So....

Back