The Three Coolest Jobs You've Had In Your Life...

My current gig is pretty sweet and diverse. My occupational life has been fairly one sided seeing as how I've worked for myself nearly half my life. I did have 2 other steady jobs, but I was still working for myself in the time off.

I once got paid to perform in a show choir competition, $100 to learn a dance/song and compete the next day (we won).

Worked for the 6th richest man of Japan for a couple days.

1. Played in a hard rock band (singer)

2. Worked on the flight deck of a US Navy aircraft carrier.

3. Logger...

I do like my current jobas an Air Traffic Controller, and a lot of people think it's cool... But it pays the bills. I like it, but don't consider it all that "cool"... :)

Gary

I helped a blasting team for one day back in about 1973 or so. My Uncle who runs cattle in the Santa Barbara area had a trail that washed away in a storm and the Forest Service borrowed a blaster guy from the BLM for the day and they blasted a new trail into the rocks. I was brought along for my shoveling and drilling capabilities.:)
Actually in my teens I helped a guy blast.This was back when about anybody over 21 could buy dynamite .

All I did was drill the holes under the stumps .He made me take cover when he placed the charges .The old boy was pretty good.He could raise a 3 or 4 foot oak stump about 5-6 feet in the air and not try to put it in orbit .

1. Stage hand....shook hands with Al Pacino, and he sounded just like Michael Corleone when he said my name. And according to a friend I was 'checked out' by Kim Bassinger....but was too drunk to notice, or care.
2. Gamekeeper....shagged the Shoot Captain's wife in his Range Rover. All the ladies just love the gamekeeper!
3. Aything I've done since being in the U.S (esp. launching TWM).....just because I made it happen 'over here'......cool enough for me and the old crowd back in London! (Oh, and one more; working as a bouncer on the door of a bar in Cork, Ireland with a London accent.)

As a youngblood I worked for the Florida Game and Fish Comm., coolest part was capturing suburban poodle-eating alligators to relocate back to the swamps.

The next year I ran a fish trapline for Georgia G&F Comm., a hatchery research project. That was great, spending all my time in a 18 foot johnboat in the Okeefenokee. Shot a hole in the bottom of that boat killing a surprise drop-in cottonmouth...setting off an interesting chain of events :D.

My FS job is pretty cool, too...as some several of you have noted over the years :).

1. Lifeguard

2. Floor Cleaner at Anhueser-Busch Brewery (I quit after 3 days, but we did get free beer at lunch and after work EVERY DAY!)

3. Pyrotechnician's Helper

1- Worked at a rail yard offloading new and used cars, before they made it to the dealership. Was quite fun, got to beat the piss outta them! Even had a few exotics come thru from time to time.

2- Teaching treeclimbing at the local Tech college.

3- Full time arborist / climber; going on my 18th year now.

Shot a hole in the bottom of that boat killing a surprise drop-in cottonmouth...setting off an interesting chain of events.

Oh no, you're not gettin off THAT easy! C'mon B, we need details! :lol:

Brett, I went to work at a boat plant (Correct Craft) and they started me off sweeping the floor. I took it in stride and busted it out, had the whole shop swept up about 1pm. I went and found the boss and asked him what I could do next and he said "Start over and sweep it again". I quit before the week was out. And this was a job my stepmother 'got for me' since she worked in the office. :roll:

I was a snow maker
fireline crew for 14 days and the best is working for Bartlett

Worked in a large greenhouse taking care of thousands of plants (and helped out making flower arrangements)

Worked in a research lab, treating bone marrow with 'monoclonal antibodies' (that we produced) for transplant

Worked in a different research lab and got to use the transmission electron microscope (a microscope that takes up a whole room)

OH.....gotta add another...my FAVORITE of FAVORITE jobs: worked w/ my ex as a waitress in "The Western Isles" restaurant serving....right on Padre Island during the crazy early 70s.

No. That doesn't sound like alot of fun. I am learning something new every day though. I always thought to fluff was to fart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"What's that smell? Did you fluff???"

Haha, no I never heard it to mean that before.

Fluff: fail to perform or accomplish (something) successfully or well (used esp. in a sporting or acting context) : the extra fluffed his only line.

Wonder if 'Ol Monkey got fired from that gig?

#3: Production climber in NJ w/ the Chisholms

#2: Working 6 summers on a Ropes/Challenge course and taking campers out on trips (hiking, white water rafting, canoeing, etc) in an all-girls camp in Maine.

#2: (it's a tie still) Working at the Tree Care Dept. for www.treepeople.org, a charity group that teaches people in LA how to plant and take care of trees.

love
nick

Back