The rescue of a wolf

So true, Jay! Yeah, that hyena in the zoo is 100% solid muscle. I've watched it eat whole chickens- feet, feathers and all. Well it did spit out a modicum of feathers. Seemed to enjoy crushing all the bones. It is a beast.

I think if a person would research it a lot of the more modern dogs especially large breeds can trace their ancestery to ancient wolves .They still retain certain things such as "pack animals " mentality .The difference being human or in the class of working dogs the livestock they protect is part of the "pack" in their doggy minds .

Fact I've seen some of the working class in praticular the border collie be just about as protective regarding little children as if it were a lamb or something .

I remember a male border collie called BW ,black and white that would grab my kids by the snow suit when they were very small sledding down a hill he thought was too fast for them .My daughter at three who was always small and foul mouthed would cuss at that dog for slowing her down .She got her potty mouth from her mother .;)

Tthe controversy about what the ancestors of dogs are, was solved some years back, through DNA tesing.

All modern dogs came from wolves originally..

Old story .Some number of years ago there was a pack of feral dogs terrorizing the country side that seemed to elude capture .They were sheep killers among other things .

One evening my ex wife informed me she had seen them on the other side of the small river that ran through the land I used to own .Well they made the fatal mistake of crossing that river so old Al and the trusty 30:06 got most of them .They were a mix of German shepard and airedale and very heathy by the looks of things .The dog warden and the game warden came to investigate .Both had told me previously to shoot on sight .

There was a half grown pup that resembled the wolf/dog in the previous post I just didn't have the heart to put down so I tried to domesticate her .She just never amounted to much and made her great escape after about a year to parts unknown .She had double canines on her top jaw .Where that came from I haven't a clue but she was not aggresive although not real fond of people .

I wonder now if perhaps the dog might have been a cross with a coyote or something .She could howl like one and seldom barked although she could if she felt the need .Wolf linage would be out of the question because it's doubtfull a wolf has been seen in Ohio in the last 200 years .Even at over a year old she only weighed about 50 pounds .

It remains a great mystery .

Some years ago there was mention in the paper in California, about wolf mix dogs that could become a problem. They can require a person skilled with dogs to keep them, maybe skilled with wolves. :/:

Not really.

Dogs of the Paris Hilton variety just get away with more shit, because they are small and unthreatening.

Those breeds are some of the most dominant, psychotic dogs.

But they can't really harm anyone, so they get away with it.

Imagine an Irish wolfdog with the temper of a Yorkshire terrier.

That said, I'll agree that some of the real mellow breeds like Golden Retriever and Labrador are hard to screw up,as far as agression goes.

You can make any of them mean .Just tie up with a short chain for a while and see what happens .

A dog outta be a dog .Those damned lap dogs are so pampered they can't do dog things .Can't dig holes chase rabbits or pee on the bushes .I'd think it would suck to be a lap dog .Most males get neutered and that would really suck with a half life.:what:

On January 9, 2012 the wolf Navarre was recovered from the icy waters of a river in very dramatic conditions: undernourished, with a paralysis of the hind limbs and with 35 lead pellets in his body.
After several diagnostic tests, two weeks of intensive care in the infirmary, monitored 24 hours 24, Navarre started to walk. He was transferred to another enclosure of the Centre, suitable for his rehabilitation, which requires a gradual recovery of motor function without subjecting him to excessive physical effort. Thanks to a video camera placed in the enclosure Navarre is monitored day and night without being disturbed.
It's still a long way, various diseases have weakened him a lot, but Navarre, thanks to his incredible will to live and care he received, started to walk improving gradually and giving good signs of recovery.

For those interested in the full version of his story:

http://www.centrotutelafauna.org/navarre-story.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oc_4NteT9rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just rescued a fox today, was out rock climbing with my daughter and found one caught in a trap. his paw was nearly severed off, I tried to keep him calm, gave him my boot to gnaw on and opened the trap. we were hiking in a preserve with walking paths and equestrian paths, who the hell puts a trap two feet off the path, sad fox.jpg RockClimbingWithGaia.jpg or anywhere !

He let you release him without freaking out? Do tell more, please.

They always remain skiddish .

A lady I went to school with lived in a zoo of sorts .They had a pet skunk, red tail hawk ,red fox ,ground hogs ,you name it they had it .

Charlotte could pick up the fox but nobody else could .The skunk looked as fat as a basketball with legs .The ground hogs were little butter balls too .

If the red tail hawk was annoyed with someone he would turn his back on them and take a chit .

Yeah foxes stink .Even a descented skunk is not odor proof .They must fart a lot or something . My daughters male feret had the name "Stinky " for a reason .

Another thing if you ever get the idea to try and save a wild orphaned mammal it's important to use a milk formula they can digest .Way back when I played momma to a pair of red squirrels the vet said 4 oz of whole cows milk ,one egg yolk and 1/2-3/4 oz of honey .When they are wee little they need fed about every two three hours .You need to get whatever amount up to about body temp and keep the rest refridgerated and not over three days per batch .

Above all else though no matter if it's a ground hog,fox,coon they are wild animals .Once to have them in captivity they will seldom survive if returned to the wild .

Al the momma squirrel once upon a time .:lol:

i watched a couple of documentary programs on dogs a while back, really interesting stuff. there was a really interesting experiment done with domestic dogs and wolves, both in the puppy stage. one test done was to hold the puppy at a distance and have the experimenter point at one of two containers, the one pointed at having a treat under. overwhelmingly, the domestic puppies went to the pointed container first, implying that they have the innate ability to read human body language. the wolves failed to go to the treat more than random statistics would dictate. incidentally they did the same test with chimpanzees and they did not take ques from body language either. another test done showed that domesticated dogs show "left side bias" when looking at human faces. left side bias is a phenomena in humans where, when we look at another persons face, we almost always look at the left side of that face first, it is thought that this is some how related to the reading of emotions in the face. wolves and chimps do not do this. dogs have been living side by side with us for so long that they have an innate ability to read our body language and pick up on our emotional states. pretty incredible when you think about it. one more really interesting study, if i may. there was a russian experiment began in the 50's with silver fox (i believe), and it ran for 50 years. they gathered hundreds of fox and divided them into three populations. one population was selected and bred for docility and affection, the other was a control and was allowed to breed with no selectivity. the last group was selected for orneriness and aggression. changes in these three populations became apparent in only a few generations. the aggressive group became just that, attacking everything in sight, the control group didn't change from the wild disposition, and the docile group became tame as any lap dog. they even seemed to enjoy and seek out affection from their human keepers. in addition, they started to loose the coloration and patterning of their wild relatives. i thought that was pretty interesting. i hope this isnt a derail.

There is a dog trainer in my area. I sort of know him, and regularly see him out walking dogs, with or without the dog's owners. One time on my bike, I passed him on a wide sidewalk when he was walking a dog. The dog started to leap at me and he gave it a God almighty yank. I stopped a few yards ahead and asked him if it was so necessary to almost yank a dog's head off to train them. i wasn't being accusatory or anything, just was wondering about it. He kindly explained that dogs have a strong instinctual thing to be attracted to movement, and want to go after it. It often takes strong training to break the habit. It further makes sense having observed a lot of dogs after getting his explanation. I hadn't realized that it was so instinctual.

This was a good watch ..... Radioactive Wolves on PBS about the wildlife around Chernobyl.
<object width = "512" height = "328" > <param name = "movie" value = "http://www-tc.pbs.org/s3/pbs.videoportal-prod.cdn/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" > </param><param name="flashvars" value="video=2157025070&player=viral&chapter=1" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param > <param name = "allowscriptaccess" value = "always" > </param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param ><embed src="http://www-tc.pbs.org/s3/pbs.videoportal-prod.cdn/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=2157025070&player=viral&chapter=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="328" bgcolor="#000000"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #808080; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 512px;">Watch <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://video.pbs.org/video/2157025070" target="_blank">Radioactive Wolves</a> on PBS. See more from <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/" target="_blank">Nature.</a></p>

Back