The rescue of a wolf

Koala

TreeHouser
On January 9, 2012 the wolf Navarre was recovered from the icy waters of a river in very dramatic conditions: undernourished, with a paralysis of the hind limbs and with 35 lead pellets in his body.
After several diagnostic tests, two weeks of intensive care in the infirmary, monitored 24 hours 24, Navarre started to walk. He was transferred to another enclosure of the Centre, suitable for his rehabilitation, which requires a gradual recovery of motor function without subjecting him to excessive physical effort. Thanks to a video camera placed in the enclosure Navarre is monitored day and night without being disturbed.
It's still a long way, various diseases have weakened him a lot, but Navarre, thanks to his incredible will to live and care he received, started to walk improving gradually and giving good signs of recovery.

For those interested in the full version of his story:

http://www.centrotutelafauna.org/navarre-story.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oc_4NteT9rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At the beginning of the last century there were many wolves in Italy.
They were all over the Alps, the Appenines (mountains of central Italy) and in Sicily too.
Then through the years many have been persecuted and killed, mainly because of poaching.
In the 70' there were only 100 left, only on the Appenines.
After the 70' a strong preservation campaign started and it is now bearing some fruits.
In the 90' there were 400 wolves, now the population is around 800-1000 animals and still increasing.
Now they are back in the Alps too. :)
We need more wolves and less stupid people around here. :/:

Do you have them there Willie? They were hunted out here about the turn of the last century.

Yep, Idaho won't keep them contained. Oregon won't even let a rancher shoot one off the back of a beef nor will they reimburse. There was a collared one in my hunting grounds last fall they had been tracking. A hunter in Idaho got his brother recently, made the news

A hunter shooting his brother would certainly make the news .

We could do with some wolves and less people around here as well.
Not even less stupid people, just less people.

The last wolf in Denmark was shot in 1813!

I manage the forest on a large hunting estate.
It is a peninsula, and fenced off from the rest of the world, so they have huge flocks of Fallow deer, some sika deer and some Mufflon ( ovis mursimon, I think) running all over the place, wrecking all new growth in the forest.

Richard and I often talk about how great it would be to release a bunch of wolves there.

Just to see the stupid deer/sheep panicking the first night the wolves were howling:)

One of my favourite sounds BTW.

My wife and I hitchhiked up through the yukon/ North west territorries on our way to Alaska about 25 years ago.

Lots of nights when we were camped out, we'd fall asleep, listening to the wolves howling.

I'm not the least bit scared of wolves, but that sound is just so primitive or atavistic, that it makes the hairs on ones neck stand up:)

Wow, thanks for posting, that is awesome, helped make my day.

That story is life itself.

Here there were two species, and both became extinct at the turn of the 20th century. Ancient people lived without conflict with wolves, not being a livestock raising culture. It must have been hunters that wiped them out. There is talk about re-introducing, help keep the deer and wild pigs population in check.

Our deer are not stupid, the state of Oregon has around 6000 cougar currently (ODFW study numbers) and on average they kill 1 deer a week. Granted they kill whatever is nearby but approx 1 deer worth of meat a week. Thats around 312,000 deer per year to cougar in our state alone, bringing in more predators seems foolish

I guess it's that Wolves aren't very high up on the list of threats to humans, but with insufficient game in their area, that can change somewhat.

Willie, we have no large predators able to bring down deer, here.

After the mange epidemy killed off almost all the foxes, the roe deer population has exploded.

It will crash by itself one of these days, but having the weak ones culled naturally instead would be fine.

Hunters here are VERY trophy and less meat oriented, so they consistently go after the strongest deer, with the biggest antlers, which doesn't help keeping the deer population in good shape.

I've seen one wolf in captivity and it was about a year old pup that came from Wisconsin or Minnisota .A fur buyer had that thing .He wasn't any bigger if as large as a German Shepard . Double set of canines in the upper jaw .

The thing seemed tame but I didn't make any sudden moves around it .The thing is a wild animal and I really doubt they could become domesticated to the point a person could trust them .

I forget the entire story but I think it had something to do with an orphaned pup from some rescue type thing they felt could never survive in the wild .I do know that fur buyer had to have all kinds of permits to keep it in captivity .Beautiful animal and really it was a shame to keep in confinement rather than in the northern woods from where it came from .

One of my favourite sounds BTW.

My wife and I hitchhiked up through the yukon/ North west territorries on our way to Alaska about 25 years ago.

Lots of nights when we were camped out, we'd fall asleep, listening to the wolves howling.

I'm not the least bit scared of wolves, but that sound is just so primitive or atavistic, that it makes the hairs on ones neck stand up:)

Think it's great camping out and falling asleep with them howling.
I once worked with a guy from Romania. He lives near a huge forest full of wolves (......... and vampires :evil:....:lol:). He told me exactly the same about the hairs standing up on your neck.

And about the less people matter...it's not fair that you complain .....
The number of people in my region is nearly the double of that in your whole nation. :)

The thing is a wild animal and I really doubt they could become domesticated to the point a person could trust them .

I doubt it too.
Anyway we got a dog here called Italian Wolfdog, mainly used for rescue. A quite young breed. First one was born in 1966, by a female wild wolf and a male German Shepard. It's mainly the dog of the Civil Defence Department, no many private citizens can own it. Similar to the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog.

A beautiful dog.

1lupoitalianoscheda.jpg

cash%20rid.jpg

The only problem with this dog is that he needs a lot of attention in the first months of his life, otherwise his insinct can prevail and he can decide to grow up as a wild wolf......and the wolf always fight for leadership ;)

I don't think it would be possible .Unless I'm mistaken the hyena is more closely related to felines than canines .

Thats a very badass picture, Jay.

The guy in my avatar owns an awesome "backyard" zoo in Maine. One of his animals is a hyena; very large, powerful and impressive animal.

Hyenas always look kind of thin and skimpy when you see them on the tube, but they really do have some solidity to them. That picture got me, I wondered what animal it was. I guess anything that competes with lions......

Back