The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice pictures, Rich! We often give talks on tree's response to pruning. Would it be alright if we used those pictures in a presentation? A follow up of them in leaf would also be great.

Not here either, Butch. I used to do a lot of that in Cali. True pollards, though not to everyone's taste, can produce some amazing results. Look at the small size of those trees for their age.

Yep, on the right species it is an amazing tool for keeping city trees from outgrowing their space.

These, by Fredensborg castle, are kept small in order not to obstruct the view of the castle.
It is BTW the best example of historically correct pollarded linden that I've seen.

I cropped the picture from the net, next time I pass by, I'll try to remember my camera.

magt-og-pragt_dg_95044.jpg

I'd remove and replace it with a species that did not require that type of maintenance.

Bleagh.

This is Scandinavia, we don't have that many hardwood species to choose from.

:)

By all means Dave, use the pictures as you see fit.

Some of the oldest trees in Europe are pollards. When done correctly it is a pretty good way to manage tree stocks.

Attachments

• IMG_7602.jpg
    IMG_7602.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 40
Damn, that is a lot of work, Rich.
The MS150 really shines for repollarding, but guess that was not an option.

Damn, that is a lot of work, Rich.
The MS150 really shines for repollarding, but guess that was not an option.

Not an option unfortunately. I can't take credit for it all. There was a guy in the mewp doing the middle bits and three climbers doing the rest and two groundies.

Back at it tomorrow and we should finish the run.

Looks good, easy mindless work, in the sense that you don’t have to really think about it while you’re doing it.

I love the look of the boles/knuckles when they get really lumpy and gothic.

Exactly Mick.

France has some stunning examples. I love the pollards around Lac Leman (ok, I know it is Switzerland) and lac Annecy. They look great when done and underlit.

They remind me of the gargoyles in gothic Cathedrals.

It is the test driver of a long running tv series called Top Gear. They review a whole load of motors and do some crazy road trips.

For years no one knew who he was. The Stig is always helmeted up and never speaks. Awesome driver though.

Not sure if the uk version of the Stig is any good at felling with a short bar and gutting the hinge though.

Back