The Official Work Pictures Thread

Could the tree not have been lowered whole/ each trunk whole off of a tree behind it, using a face-cut, or hung each one off the trees behind it?

The tractor could do a hecka lift-and-lower in place of a GRCS.

Sean...that's a good question. There was a big pine directly opposite the lean, I think. I'll look at that possibility Monday. That may have been a solution we missed.

That pine was the one I was looking at. You can shoot a base-tied speedline into a pine quick and easy, resulting in a high-speedline-anchor point, tip tying. Dyneema slings and steel biners are enough.

I use aluminum biners and nylon or dyneema routinely with speedlines.

Stripping all the brush into a pile can make a great crash pad for the wood. You have a big machine to rip the pile apart afterward, a la Reg with the winch. Master rigger Reg sometimes advocates blasting a bunch of stuff off, into a pile, then winching the pile apart for chipping. Less alternating of active work between sky and ground.

Vermeer BC935. 9" throat. 35 HP diesel Deutz engine.

Mick...re: stringy chips...seems that the small limbs of the beech and birch do that. When the limbs are 3-4 inches and up it makes chips, not spaghetti.

Still learning about chippers. But...Ruel...I am loving having one. It was a beat up yellow. I did some tree work for a friend that does body work....he did the paint job for me. I am not ashamed to pull up to a customer's house now :D

Not since I got it. Alex commented this week that he thought we might need to change to new knives, get these sharpened...I found a local machinist that does it for $15 per set.

We'll have to do the gap thing then. This week has been my first experience with climbing and chipping beech and birch...never messed with either until now.

A disk chipper will leave some species twigs stringy no matter how sharp. There is a large gap between the feed wheels and cutter bar that allows the tips to be ripped through and tossed out.

You need a feeler gauge and square edges on the anvil, which wear over time.
If you never sharpen your chain or file your rakers, it would be similar.

Your performance and bearing/ machine longevity will go up, fuel consumption will go down.

Blade sharpening, here, is $0.60-1.00 per inch, through pro sharpening services, who conveniently pick up and drop off, weekly, at Ace Hardwares, and a builders' supply. $15/ set is either great, or too good to be true.

The touch-up sharpeners help.

May have been $15 each which would be $30 per set; that's probably it....been awhile since I got them done. I'll pay closer attention this time.

Just don't ruin that sharpening tool on dull blades. They are meant to touch up, NOT sharpen dull blades.

Nothing special yesterday. Just doing a clearing for a new road to connect the old allotment to the new so they can cram a few more houses in. 400?x60? wide. 4E1FBAD1-C7B6-442E-A267-8E670611992A.jpg
We made it to the creek which leaves us with 75? to go. Still a good days work if we get any more rain

Massive job, Massive Massive.

Lucky to get out of there in 2 hours with my hiney.

c0cadd3ad1abd7b4dca31d97295d681c.jpg
8e8d9f71be370ed41563899436e80a53.jpg
178c71cfb42c54e7befe8761f36a69b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How do you get around rush hour traffic when you work in the city.
I remember that as being incredibly bad.

Sean, between sips of coffee and bites of donut, there were two of us very macho and courageous timber warriors on this particular project. Glad there wasn't a third or it might have looked ridiculous.

Ryan. Scaff's and their job scare the shit out of me... Scaff's, Roofers and Treeguys....the start of a bad joke.

Stig, I seriously have it dialed for the most part... like surfing.. gotta know when to get in and when to get out... timing.
I do a lot of my long drives early 5:45 in the am... living in SF....most everything is reverse commute... but parking in a tight neighborhood for a job...either lucky, legal or illegal if the money is right you'll make it work. Hard to work and not piss people off here, just gotta wake up and do it again...

This job was about 50yds from the beach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pollarding an alley of Lime trees in Oslo, Norway.

Some of the trees are 150+ years old. As they are protected it is handsaw work only. At least it keeps you warm.

969c8a35852364c9b6328aaf0f4ba0ac.jpg

998ddfeb359a0e2d647b6f3edb283119.jpg

Rich

Back