The Official Work Pictures Thread

That is weird, indeed.
Sometimes shit just happens, all you can do is be ready to run.

Reg is right that gutting the hinge would most likely have prevented it from barberchairing.
I do that as standard on ash, but from the back side as I'm making my felling cut.
Just swing the bar tip into the middle of the hinge.

Since one of the biggest problems when thinning semi mature hardwoods is having them hang up in the other trees, unless one has a skidder to hand, I usuallu gut most of my hinges to make the trees fall faster and make them easier to roll of another tree when they fall.

I'll try that next time thanks!

4 tons of wood, 22" wide by 60' long coming down missing him by no more than 3'. He was on the ground tangled in the brush and the whole thing was done in about 3 or 4 seconds, no time to move.

Seeing the scene with my own eyes, it was really freaky to see how incredibly close he had come to instant death.

He added on a huge one right next to it, wow I tell ya I was careful cutting that one. Freaky stuff.

Instant death would be a blessing. A long, protracted, agonizing death would Suck, Big Time.

Sam, why don't you cut the branches off at the trunk to begin with. Or leave the nubs (not stubs). I was getting all wound up thinking about picking up a hundred little nubs, wondering if there is some cool reason you do it that way. Very tidy work

I worked with a guy once who always left those 1" nubs and then cut them off. After the second day I told him I wasn't going to pick up those little PITA pieces. Too big to rake and too small to be worth bending over for. Just cut the damn thing flush, it's not like you need to worry about damaging the branch collar on a removal. Or leave a firewood size stub and then cut it off.

Often, I will cut out one firewood length, then the stub. Pines will hold onto those limbs for dear life sometimes when cut at the collar.
Also, if they do, you risk them catching your flip line sometimes when they finally cut loose. Easier to land them flat cutting out from the collar.
Now granted, HOs out here don't mind a little firewood left at the base of tree stump.

Hahaha, yes, the stubs. . .

Like Stephen said, these Whites have a lot more variation in the grain, and get kind of stringy back at the collar. They hang on and tear out, generally do unpredictable things. They break like carrots everywhere else, and I was concerned things would sail into the lines (as it happened nothing even came close, dropped like stones). This was 100% just get it down/no cleanup. That's why I dumped the logs on the brush :lol:

Ya maybe saw it on youtube. He told me hes been cutting trees for 40 years. Back lean and side lean. Towards road and roof, come a long 20' up. I heard a saw before i left for a walk, something told me to grab my phone. Walking up the road i saw them in my droveway, soaked and out of breath lol.

Good thing, Brendon!

Sam: That was a sweet lil vid. Thanks. The old timers hate me too, for leaving the odd stub for certain butt-drop limb cuts, and the odd Beranek twister-cut or whatever. They're like, "I don't wanna have to pick all these up!" I'm like, "Well get yer ass up here, and let me do it then!" I haven't had to come down yet.

Ohhh: I thought that was a super interesting technique on the log (the immediate one, after the top) that you flopped. At first, I thought, "Oh, what's he doing opening up a big huge face like that?" But when I saw the plug that you left in the middle... I dunno... kinda made sense to me. Like, if yer bar doesn't reach through... you can just cut both corners off and leave the plug, and it'll come-out right as rain. I might give that a try actually, where directional control is not a big deal. I like it better than Sean's, "magic cut," which I've used before, but am starting to hate.

Back