The Official Work Pictures Thread

The last official plan I heard was once the backwoods are gone, the visible corridors will go next.

Reg you believe that TFL licensees are just shirking their legal obligations at replanting and no one cares/pursues it?

Licensees are legally required to reforest the areas that they harvest. This has been the law in B.C. since Oct. 1, 1987.

Here's an interesting read. Certainly seems like since i was in the woods down there to around the time I got out is when the funding plummeted for reforestation and that it's just gotten worse and worse. Forest companies and everyone involved at the top just taking fibre and not replacing it. :(

It's very depressing really. Like others and I have said already. I think the only solution to overlogging will come when the money dries up. Otherwise it will be log on.

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/commentary/bcs-reforestation-crisis

.its crazy, the scale of what's still going on. But from what I've seen since moving here 6 years ago, the government is much like any other in regards to natural resource.... whether trees, oil, salmon farms or whatever....cash trump's all... There's lots of opposition, but their efforts are mostly futile. I heard it said once that only when the last tree has been cut down will white man realise 'you can't eat money'... But I sort of believe it more now than ever before.

From my armchair 2500 miles away, I believe you are 100% correct.

And here's the rest of that saying, which becomes more true with each passing day: When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten, and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money. Native American saying.

In short, we save our own forests and kill the forests of poorer parts of the world because we will not stop using forest products. I cannot see that as an ethical position for anyone to take.

Agreed. That's why population control is important, among other things.

I agree with you on the benefits of sustainable forest management, Burnham....so long as it's upheld. I don't see so much evidence of that here. I'd be interested to get your thoughts if you came and did a fly over the mountains, behind the many locked gates, out of the public eye and reach. If anything grows back there, it'll be by chance not purpose. It's a bombsite mate. I hear too, the best logs are bought almost exclusively by the wealthy Chinese and other Asian markets....much like Ivory. The fallers out in the field are mere pawns on the chart of profit and wealth...but you can guarantee others are getting very wealthy off their backs. Furthermore, where wealth and profit is the priority, it's hard to believe or even hope that sacrificing the forests in BC to preserve the forests of less able countries is on anybodies list of incentives here....at least, I have never heard that used as justification. Revenue, is the only argument you'll hear or read about. It's a big subject, like you say. I can very much relate to the lure, passion and pride of those working a the grass roots level. But looking further up the hierarchy at the fat cats, rubbing their hands together....its hard not to be cynical.

Hella post. :drink:

I hardly see the forest industry slowing up until it's all gone. A buddy of mine works at 1 of the 4 Tolko mills within an hr of my home. He was telling me just Friday how that one mill uses 70 seven to eight axle logging truck loads a day. Under 70 loads come in the mill gains on the log yard quickly. One medium sized mill, not even the flag ship for the area.

:\:

The port Alberni vid reg posted about the timber company owning all, and logging most, of the land that is the city's watershed, just wow. Fat cats indeed. They couldnt give a fook.

I wonder how much of those fine logs which are going to China get milled into lumber to build houses that nobody will live in...I'm sure ya'll have seen those stories on entire cities that have been built and sit completely unoccupied.

Hence my attitude that we are fooked on basically all fronts. it is just time and seeing how well we cope/adapt with it. Or not.

No need to worry about logging. Climate change is a myth right? If we can't effect the planet by breeding into the billions, sucking oil and anything else useful to us out of the earth and consuming anything that gives us even a hint of comfort or entertainment. What's a few old trees gonna hurt when the alternative is a sacrifice none of the fat cats will ever make? Log on.

I've got nothing against logging. But thinking the romance of the handfaller means what it did a generation ago is false IMO. The handfaller is used and abused just like a feller buncher. It's honest work to the guy on the ground with his boots on. But times have changed. When I was growing up my little town of Lumby had four decent sized mills and a couple of handfuls of smaller mills scattered about, my grandpa had one of those. i bet one of those four mills(none of which are in lumby now) I mentioned earlier, the seventy+ loads/day mills, does double or maybe more than all the bd/ft all the 'little mills' used to. Lumby where I grew up has zero mills now besides hobbyist type setups of a few guys able to get some wood here and there. Big business put the clamp down and made themselves the only game in town. You log for one company here, otherwise you don't log at all. Rates are down and production is up. A good recipe for someone in the business? Not the workers or the smaller logging contractors as they put each other down as cutthroat as they can to secure their own 'spot' with the mill.

The feller buncher which gets much admiration here for its ability has been a real game changer in BC for logging enmasse.

Re barber chairing ash, I have a quick story- couple weeks ago a friend who works for various local nature preserves and does some basic cutting for them as needed called me to cut 8 or so hazard trees in the woods, most were dead, a few were falling apart. They were fun and interesting to cut and cheap thrills to leave them in woods with no clean up. One was hung up and had to climb the supporting tree and gin pole down.

Anyway he told me on the phone beforehand that he was calling me to cut these trees cuz he had cut one ash which barber chaired and almost killed him. Hearing it over the phone, the story didn't have much oomph, but when I got there to do the work, he showed me the scene- basically, as he was cutting the tree it started to split so he backed away quickly but tripped and fell down amidst a thicket of japanese knotweed. The barber chair was huge-25 feet- and when it fell off the aerial splinter, it bombed into the earth next to him, 4 tons of wood, 22" wide by 60' long coming down missing him by no more than 3'. He was on the ground tangled in the brush and the whole thing was done in about 3 or 4 seconds, no time to move.

Seeing the scene with my own eyes, it was really freaky to see how incredibly close he had come to instant death.

He added on a huge one right next to it, wow I tell ya I was careful cutting that one. Freaky stuff.

Hence my attitude that we are fooked on basically all fronts. it is just time and seeing how well we cope/adapt with it. Or not.

You know, I'm sorry to say that I believe the same thing.

No need to worry about logging. Climate change is a myth right? If we can't effect the planet by breeding into the billions, sucking oil and anything else useful to us out of the earth and consuming anything that gives us even a hint of comfort or entertainment. What's a few old trees gonna hurt when the alternative is a sacrifice none of the fat cats will ever make? Log on.

I've got nothing against logging. But thinking the romance of the handfaller means what it did a generation ago is false IMO. The handfaller is used and abused just like a feller buncher. It's honest work to the guy on the ground with his boots on. But times have changed. When I was growing up my little town of Lumby had four decent sized mills and a couple of handfuls of smaller mills scattered about, my grandpa had one of those. i bet one of those four mills(none of which are in lumby now) I mentioned earlier, the seventy+ loads/day mills, does double or maybe more than all the bd/ft all the 'little mills' used to. Lumby where I grew up has zero mills now besides hobbyist type setups of a few guys able to get some wood here and there. Big business put the clamp down and made themselves the only game in town. You log for one company here, otherwise you don't log at all. Rates are down and production is up. A good recipe for someone in the business? Not the workers or the smaller logging contractors as they put each other down as cutthroat as they can to secure their own 'spot' with the mill.

Wow, that post says it all. Corporate greed and government doing jack chit about it. Where is Paul Cox when you need him?

I feel lucky I have the gig I have- i love the woods and trees just like most loggers and fallers do, I suspect, but I cut one or two trees/ day, not acre after acre of pristine woods day after day, a steady diet of mass destruction. You can't do that endlessly without it biting humanity in the ass. I'm glad I'm not a tiny cog in the corporate machine. Well at least not that I am aware :/:

The last official plan I heard was once the backwoods are gone, the visible corridors will go next.

Reg you believe that TFL licensees are just shirking their legal obligations at replanting and no one cares/pursues it?

Licensees are legally required to reforest the areas that they harvest. This has been the law in B.C. since Oct. 1, 1987.
What is the obligatory time frame to replant, do you know ? I heard off a friend of mine whos in with another big company (can't say), but not Island Timberland, who are selling off, or trying too, a huge amount of land (cut blocks) adjacent to west coast Rd - Port Renfrew....to anyone who wants it basically. There's no re planting gone on....its just frigged up stumps and waste. So, clearly an example of a Logging Co not being forced to adhere to legal obligations to re plant. And that land is right off the roadside. Although like I said previously, the worst of it are the parts you can't get to without keys, or wings. I don't know how up to date Google Earth is, but if you zoom over that region, you'll get some idea. And check out Carmanah Walbram, where the finest jewels still remain. That's where the Logging Co's are closing in on.

My posts are not in the slightest part ranting or angry, by the way.....because I understand human nature and gain, pretty well. But it does leave you feeling somewhat dispondant, and sad for the ecosystem and wild inhabitants that are being systematically raped. A big part of the problem is that people don't live long enough....so the repercussions will be someone else's to inherit. In the meantime, we convince ourselves it'll be alright....it'll grow back.

My posts are not in the slightest part ranting or angry, by the way.....because I understand human nature and gain, pretty well. But it does leave you feeling somewhat despondent, and sad for the ecosystem and wild inhabitants that are being systematically raped. A big part of the problem is that people don't live long enough....so the repercussions will be someone else's to inherit. In the meantime, we convince ourselves it'll be alright....it'll grow back.

100% exactly true.

I'll second this.
That one looks like it came FAST!

Do you have a picture of your hinge or did you use a secret cut.
I'd like to do a little stump forensics and try to figure why it barberchaired so badly when you bore cut it.

No, after that pic was taken I was bent on its destruction! The tree was maybe 26-28" I was running a 18" bar sharp chain.
I bored in on the compression side first set about a 2"-2 1/2" hinge, cut back until the bar was thru the other side and set my release, over to the tension side and set my hinge. The notch was clean with a two chain kerf width land at the apex of diagonal cut and undercut. Cut the release she went over maybe 15* from where she stood and started splitting and I'm still backing up watching. The woods really wasn't any more than some buckthorn and tiny elm scrub.

What is the obligatory time frame to replant, do you know ? I heard off a friend of mine whos in with another big company (can't say), but not Island Timberland, who are selling off, or trying too, a huge amount of land (cut blocks) adjacent to west coast Rd - Port Renfrew....to anyone who wants it basically. There's no re planting gone on....its just frigged up stumps and waste. So, clearly an example of a Logging Co not being forced to adhere to legal obligations to re plant. And that land is right off the roadside. Although like I said previously, the worst of it are the parts you can't get to without keys, or wings. I don't know how up to date Google Earth is, but if you zoom over that region, you'll get some idea. And check out Carmanah Walbram, where the finest jewels still remain. That's where the Logging Co's are closing in on.

My posts are not in the slightest part ranting or angry, by the way.....because I understand human nature and gain, pretty well. But it does leave you feeling somewhat dispondant, and sad for the ecosystem and wild inhabitants that are being systematically raped. A big part of the problem is that people don't live long enough....so the repercussions will be someone else's to inherit. In the meantime, we convince ourselves it'll be alright....it'll grow back.

I was trying to dig around a bit to see what was happening. And that's where I found that last link I posted. Apparently the backlog of unplanted areas has grown enormously in the last 20years. Probably cheaper to fight it in court of pay a 'fine' then actually do the right thing. Sad to say it seemed better when I was down there 15-20 years ago, and that's largely I think because it was. Just about anything can be sacrificed it seems for the greater good of the 'economy'. Yet it's only crappier and crappier for all of us who are the actual economy. Go figure.

Sad.

Sorry for the giant derail ladies and gents.

Cut on!

A pic of the rare interior bc tree lizard. This sucker was found about 30-40' up a fir stick. Quite a shock. Lol. And my uncle Chuck. 40 year bc logger veteran. Get him started going on the changes in bc logging and look out. He doesn't pull no punches.

IMG_1032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
I wonder...whether when you bored and set the first side (compression) the tree started to compensate internally right away...before you even got around to finish the bore from the other side?
So when you tripped the release it was already prone to split?

I was up in an ash the other day...an upright lead had split and fallen over leaving a barberchair-like splinter sticking up. The next branch below was a long lateral with a lot of end weight.
I cut the upright splinter (which was actually still live and had some callus wood on the edges) back to the junction with the lateral...and then as I was on my way out to reduce the endweight I hear a CRACK! When I looked back there was a small crack/split through the radius of the remaining lead...from the outside edge to the middle, opposite the long heavy lateral.
Eeek. Luckily I was tied in nicely above on a different lead, and I scooched out to do the end weight reduction with no lanyard, I figured if the whole thing went I wanted it to fall away without me attached to it.
I retrospect, that still live splinter was acting like a sort of a brace for the heavy lateral. When I cut it, I removed what was helping to support the lateral and the original lead 'compensated' and cracked. I should have left the splinter. Oops.
So...ash is splitty. Got the memo now.

Yes ash is about as straight grained as you can find. Makes it spilt or chair so easy. Not bad as firewood btu wise but is so easy to split. Also slabs out for some beautiful boards.

I wonder...whether when you bored and set the first side (compression) the tree started to compensate internally right away...before you even got around to finish the bore from the other side?
So when you tripped the release it was already prone to split?

I was up in an ash the other day...an upright lead had split and fallen over leaving a barberchair-like splinter sticking up. The next branch below was a long lateral with a lot of end weight.
I cut the upright splinter (which was actually still live and had some callus wood on the edges) back to the junction with the lateral...and then as I was on my way out to reduce the endweight I hear a CRACK! When I looked back there was a small crack/split through the radius of the remaining lead...from the outside edge to the middle, opposite the long heavy lateral.
Eeek. Luckily I was tied in nicely above on a different lead, and I scooched out to do the end weight reduction with no lanyard, I figured if the whole thing went I wanted it to fall away without me attached to it.
I retrospect, that still live splinter was acting like a sort of a brace for the heavy lateral. When I cut it, I removed what was helping to support the lateral and the original lead 'compensated' and cracked. I should have left the splinter. Oops.
So...ash is splitty. Got the memo now.

It's possible but I didn't see any sign of it setting down on the bar. Tree has me baffled as to why it chaired. But live and learn.

That is weird, indeed.
Sometimes shit just happens, all you can do is be ready to run.

Reg is right that gutting the hinge would most likely have prevented it from barberchairing.
I do that as standard on ash, but from the back side as I'm making my felling cut.
Just swing the bar tip into the middle of the hinge.

Since one of the biggest problems when thinning semi mature hardwoods is having them hang up in the other trees, unless one has a skidder to hand, I usuallu gut most of my hinges to make the trees fall faster and make them easier to roll of another tree when they fall.

Haven't bothered with video in awhile. . . Getting cold up here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A-LvFfXBV9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back