The Official Work Pictures Thread

Out of curiosity, why the negative rigging?

Nothing underneath to damage from what I can see.

Speaking of rough rides, this was my worst. I’d told my son-in-law to take three wraps on the porty. He did, but was looking up and didn’t realize he’d backed around to where the side of the porty was riding hard against the tree, preventing it from running as it should. Knocked both hooks out in the excitement...

View attachment 113067

If you watch at the very end, you can see the privacy fence 4’-5’ from the trunk of the tree, and there were other targets in the yard I was in. The guy I was climbing for shot the vid. I assure you I don’t negative rig for the fun of it!

Yea Scott, I've had one or 2 like that last year when my brush monkeys were still getting their portawrap basics down, and I had some shitty behind the stem positioning..

In my experiences of being the paddle-ball, one of the most damaging things was the whanging around of the chainsaw on the end of my arm. I think I did a bit of hurt to my right elbow a couple of times. It never has been quite right since.

did you get Jib out for that?

cables look good. Some fert work to follow up should fix it

It's probably a blessing everywhere, except driving to the job ;)

It seems like I have become a rite of passage with young women at the Forestry school.
Had another one logging with us last week.
She was a hard worker, but had no natural aptitude for treefalling, like Anna, who worked with me last year.
She got to fell some large trees and have aquired some sense of what logging is about.
Not to mention some pictures and video that will make the boys in her class turn absolutely green.

Speaking of aptitude, our new apprentice is taking to logging like a duck takes to water.
He really puts some trees on the ground, correctly.
Makes stumps that I can't find fault with and is simply making money for the company.
We have an old apprentice working with us, Anders, who was with us in -09 and -11 on the two first trips to the big trees in California, Jerry has met him.
He was falling next to Søren, the apprentice, and simply couldn't believe it, when I told him the kid has just been logging for 3 weeks.
I think I can make a World class faller out of this one.
I'll try to get some pictures of him next week.

P1080342.JPG P1080347.JPG P1080349.JPG P1080363.JPG P1080365.JPG

The reason she is running like a rabbit in the last picture is that she was trying to roll a codominant tree off another one, to turn it 90 degrees in order to make it land on both tops at once.
The log on codominants is usually knot free, straight grained and of the highest veneer quality, but is prone to split if you land them on one top.
That turns a $1000 log into $50 worth of biomass.
Rolling a tree off on another one is sure to send a load of stuff crashing down, so I had instructed her to just get the Hell out of there.

She landed that one exactly as planned and got a "damned fine work" from me.

In all my years of logging, I've only known one.
Elsa, a skinny smallish woman ( Kind of like Fiona).
She could log better than most men.
I never had a chance to test myself against her, but from talking to loggers that have partnered with her, it would have been a close run.

Millie, the gal in the pictures , is in incredibly good shape.
She works summers as a mountain guide in Norway.
So what she lacked in natural ability, she made up for in stamina.

Back