The Official Work Pictures Thread

Curious about the dark heartwood. Is that defect and how far up the first log does it typically run?

It is simply rot.
Normally I'd turn a log like that into bio mass, but the idiot forester believes he can sell bad logs to a local mill.
Last time he pulled that one, I had to buck all of them into bio 3 years later.
No skin off my nose, I get paid to do it.

Beech will make a false heartwood when old, but that is way lighter than this.

My little bits yesterday.
Guy has fixed this roof like 3x. Offending oak limbs keep smashing. So we now come once a month, to do what we can for 5 hours to reduce the threats. Some reduction work as well. Used the HOBBS to lift the weight and cut it free. He said he was going to just try to whittle it down. But listened to reason and let me go at it. Rigged it all from the ground, lowered the offensive 8" limb and then started climbing and rigging other ugly threats. He gets to clean it up though. 20210806_095214.jpg 20210806_095235.jpg 20210806_095222.jpg 20210806_095817.jpg 20210806_095250.jpg

Last edited:
No need to buy one, he already has the world's best.

OC even the world's best can malfunction occasionally.

This one doesn't malfunction just occasionally, it's literally falling apart.
There's a oak like that at my parent's home. Too bad, it's the biggest of the property. In a row of 3 years, it lost a good third of its crown from spots of rot and heavy winds. I have still to climb and recut the broken chunks from the last event. Yellow jackets and then covid delayed the cleaning up there.
Sad, but at least it's far from the house.

Why doesn’t he just take out those bloody massive trees out next to his house?
Coming down in stages. Phase one, just the heads leaning towards. Stage two, reduction pruning where only the fence is a concern. Stage three, removal of what is left towards structures. Shade is important. Budget constraints.

Nice pictures of the lady faller Stig!
Something I wish I could do, get some practice falling big trees.

That would be a very valuable experience if one can match Stig's requirements. The hardest part of it would be speaking danish.
:D

Back