The Official Work Pictures Thread

Extensively cleared and traditionally grazed. Cattle are moved up there for green grass in summer. Many generations. Some logging going on there now. The last big fire we had, the Creek Fire, was a close call for them too.

Yup, not really in my job description but that doesn't bother me a bit...no body else can handle the complexity in my office. I did have 3 of my employees helping out and they were great.

I hear you, my friend; sounds so very familiar...the old school forestry technicians like you and I are next to gone, these days. No younger techs in the pipeline to learn the skills.

Nah I meant preserving the lower pine limbs from the upper limbs parts of which are dropping down

There's some really nice before and after shots in this round of images, men. Thank you!

I declare, the quality of the images is always great, but even better, and always improving, is the attention I see to the subject being photographed to tell a story. That part about the images in this thread just keeps on getting better. Thank you, all, for recording your work in such fine and telling detail.

That windfall patch, Stikine, tells a story I'm all too familiar with. Please allow me to expound.

The woods worker, in the course of their normal work, encounters lots of puzzles to solve. Some natural and some we make for ourselves. Bucking scenarios: trees tangle on top one another: uphill, sidehill and downhill, and occasionally clearing log roads, too, when we really screw up. Yeah, and there's a lot of grunt work in that last one if you don't have a winch or some equipment handy.

The most dangerous puzzles I have encountered, by far, came while working for the utilities during storm damage. Often working at night under flashlight, headlights, and sometimes blinding spotlights. Wind gusting, driving rain. Windfalls, too many to count, tangled in telephone lines, cable TV, electrical services, distribution and transmission lines, guy wires, supporting strand and broken poles. All of it buried under tons of tangled debris, out of sight, and some of it under so much tension any part could spring loose and flip a little limb, or even a two-ton log, instantly, twenty feet into the air.

Along with that having too many people on the scene can be more dangerous than not having enough. There can be 3 or 4 saws working at a time, hurry hurry. In the rush to get the utilities back up each sawyer must plan each cut carefully and remember to never trip a bind loose without first giving notice to everyone else in the vicinity, and too, make sure everyone is on the safe side when it springs loose. The utility worker, though seldom ever often thought of, is a first responder too. I did it for 18 years. Lots of puzzles in that time.

HO sent me a couple tid bits from the cabin work. Septic tank was below this twin, as was electric lines from solar and water lines. Levi roped the logs. HOs brother is going to mill them for a project. So I cut logs long enough for 8-10 foot posts and boards. received_156974129775044.jpeg

View attachment received_1420202258354989.mp4

Last edited:
Actually that wasn't a bad hit at all. In all my years of climbing, negative rigging of logs was probably my biggest phobia. In my early days I had a particularly nasty experience in a monster pine next to a house and it stayed with me for the rest of my career. I never really did it again until after I bought my first bucket truck. It's a lot easier when you aren't strapped to the side of the tree you're rigging.

Back