The Official Work Pictures Thread

Good deal Sam.
3E9E7B14-B9CB-426E-8255-133E161E3491.jpg
Nice and dead red oak today. Had the power company on speed dial in case something went pear shaped. Everything went good though. Just a few big dinosaur prints in the lawn from rigging the spars. It was a split codom so really didn?t want to stop the wood. Just slow it down and keep it close to the stump. The boys did a great job running ropes today. I?ve acquired a few cord of almost seasoned oak as well. It was a beautiful day8)

Sam....good angles on those pictures...you do know how to set up shots.

Why the two pull lines?

Did you take off the lower limbs to keep it from springing back towards the house? Wouldn't it just crush/break those limbs if you had not cut them off? Humor me....wondering why you cut off the lower limbs.

IMG_20180425_102402636.jpg

Anyone else use two opposing directional face cuts to ease a tree into rigging, and steer the butt?
I hung a bunch of whole trees over a fence yesterday and today. Set everything with a throw line.

Spindly maples, about 40-60' tall. Some were larger diameter, under 14".

A rope above or below the upper hinge, or a good long push-stick into the hinge helps to set it in motion. Works a treat.

Sam, you're back:) haven't seen you post anything for quite a while... Unless I haven't been paying attention

Hey Mick, is that an Avant articulating loader you have? We've considered them but have been more leaning toward a mini skid steer (Vermeer/Ditch Witch). Love to hear your impressions & firsthand perspective.

Sorry, been meaning to answer this.

It’s a Multione, very similar.

I chose an articulated loader rather than a skid steer for a number of reasons, ground damage, having a telescopic boom and that you?re sitting down being amongst the best.

Couple pics to illustrate the boom?s usefulness.

Attachments

• 8108C01D-0F7E-4E86-81DA-1CCEF047BC0C.jpg
    8108C01D-0F7E-4E86-81DA-1CCEF047BC0C.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 7E46CB74-DFC1-4D80-8CB3-201EC9801FDC.jpg
    7E46CB74-DFC1-4D80-8CB3-201EC9801FDC.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 46
Sam- theres that damn white stuff. Nice pics.

Rich- ever notice that bone-dry-looking oak deadwood still contains a lot of water if you try to burn it right away?

Sean- Ive walked trees down like that but not sure what you mean about rigging like that

Mick- No rotator on that grapple, is there? If none, how do you like it? Fine without power rotation?

Yep I’ve noticed. In that state I won’t have to worry about it come winter time though.
Had some nice looking hinges today but I didn’t feel like getting my phone out of the truck. Should’ve though for the 53” pin oak spar that I dropped with a 20” bar just for Stig. It had some backlean to it. I had just finished pounding wedges and getting my holding wood to the minimum I was comfortable with when I told it that I was done playing around. As I walked toward the loader to give it a shove, she gave up and fell.

Back to Civilization Today

After 2 days in the boonies, it was nice to be back in civilization, but it was a bit of a jarring contrast. Our first job of the day was at a 1/2 million dollar home in a bedroom development outside of KC. Manicured yard, well landscaped, flawless turf. Makes it a bit nerve wracking when the owner is watching every move we made, but turns out he was very low key and just wanted to enjoy the show. The job was to remove one hollow ash, then he added the 2nd one to the left in the pictures. Given the situation to avoid turf damage, we rigged off of 2 other trees and lowered most everything directly to the chipper on the street. We call it "Systematic Tree Destruction" and it's something of a specialty. On that job for less than 2 hours, then followed it up with 3 other small jobs (chip a fallen siberian elm leader, remove a dead cherry covered with poison ivy, and remove 1/3 of a hackberry over a garage). Zoom!
P1300386.jpg P1300392.jpg P1300395.jpg

Jed, the maples were all tangled together.somewhat on top of one another. I had to control the trees all the way to the ground. I could pretension the natural crotched rope somewhat, but the rigging tree was only about as tall as the rest of the trees, so not really overhead, and not really strong. By using two hinges, 'faced' in opposite directions (one head high, one at ground level), I was able to get the butt to fold/ drop in a controlled direction (parallel to the fence), loading the rigging line somewhat more statically than fully dropping and catching, on a rigging point that was pretty maxed.

It works opposite for me, Forestkeepers.
After a few days of Arbo work in the "Civilization" I really want to go back in the bush.

Had some nice looking hinges today but I didn?t feel like getting my phone out of the truck. Should?ve though for the 53? pin oak spar that I dropped with a 20? bar just for Stig. It had some backlean to it. I had just finished pounding wedges and getting my holding wood to the minimum I was comfortable with when I told it that I was done playing around. As I walked toward the loader to give it a shove, she gave up and fell.

:)

Jed, the maples were all tangled together.somewhat on top of one another. I had to control the trees all the way to the ground. I could pretension the natural crotched rope somewhat, but the rigging tree was only about as tall as the rest of the trees, so not really overhead, and not really strong. By using two hinges, 'faced' in opposite directions (one head high, one at ground level), I was able to get the butt to fold/ drop in a controlled direction (parallel to the fence), loading the rigging line somewhat more statically than fully dropping and catching, on a rigging point that was pretty maxed.

It was me that asked, and thanks, that makes sense.

It?s a Multione, very similar.

I chose an articulated loader rather than a skid steer for a number of reasons, ground damage, having a telescopic boom and that you?re sitting down being amongst the best.

Looks great Mick. How wide is it, and how much does it weight ? Answer in your own time. Thanks

It?s a Multione, very similar.

Yup, that looks very much like my Avant 420 with the BMG grapple. At first, I didn't like it because I was used to the Bobcat but after a brief learning curve the articulating loader is so much better than a skid steer.

Dead nuts is all you can hope for!!! :beer:
Freakin Butch... yer hilARIOUS, sir.

Yeah, Rajan... Sweet buckins' bro. Loved the stump. Eye candy.

Sean: Dude, that was one crazy freakin Maple. Nice trick, btw, on the wide-face deal.

Forest Keeper: Don'tcha just love cleaning up someone else's mess? Diggin yer posts, btw.

JIM!!! You freakin LUNATIC! We'll make a tree-guy outa you yet I tell ya. Loved the flowers.

Brendon: Really good to see ya up in the trees again.

Mick: Astonishing work, really... there's something about equiptment ruts that makes me turn half-girl and hurts a part of my girly-soul. Well-done, mate.

Peter: Good ta see ya, mate!!!

Sorry I'm such a deadbeat mates. Feel like Reg in that I've got no time to do ANYTHING these days. I take a shower at like, 8:00pm most nights.

Here's todays Firs, and a little 20 second vid...

20180427_150628.jpg 20180427_122638.jpg 20180427_141714.jpg 20180427_141655.jpg 20180427_122644.jpg

Chipper vid fer Corey. ;)...

https://youtu.be/-DCXstZcPZE

Ha, stylin vid, Jed.

Btw I used to have the same igloo lunch box. Ya know how they don't last too long, the lid and handle keep falling off? Remind me and I'll link you up to an indestructible lunch box that is low cost too.

That's crazy... You nail everything, as always, in typical Cory fashion... Yeah... my former Igloo's lid and handle kept popping off all the time... I would just pop em on for the five-hundredth time. The lid... no big deal, but the handle will piss you right off after the five hundredth time when your apple goes rolling out, bumping over the blacktop and picking up all kinds of unnecessary dings that result in all of those dirty little brown spots.

Yeah!... I'd be super keen to hear about yer super-box. That one in the vid, though, is actually a pretty sweet one for an igloo. Plus it says, "Certanteed Fiberglass Insulation," on the side. Do any of you other guys have a lunchbox that says "Certainteed," on the side? I don't think so.

Back