The Official Work Pictures Thread

Almost as good looking as me!

DANGIT! Butch that's just settin the bar waaay too freakin high. Try to be fair to the inbred.

Cory: Yes. I am actually trying to pass my ugly self off as a real, live Taughtline man. I think that, unless I find yer "Taught-Line Appreciation Thread," soon... my next several posts in here will probly contain a ton of "Ode to a Taughtline," type sentiments. The thing is, that all these years later the Taughtline remains undiminished in the universality of it's gripping capacity AND workability. I never even discovered till only just recently that a taughtline which is run hard-up against the stopper knot is able to be ran SUPER loose by virtue of keeping a ton of slack from the bridge worked between the "two sets of wraps," (2 down, 2 up). You can kinda run it with yer middle finger right in between the two sets. You can climb trees with a TON of pitch this way. You can climb on snotty, pitch-impregnated lines that are so freakin stiff that a Blake Hitch won't even go into em. You could find people who would say that a Taughty ran that way would be dangerous, but it's not. Because the Taughty creaps so much... it (ran super loose) just immediatly slams into the stopper knot and catches up if it immediately becomes weighted because you slipped or whatever. I freakin LOVE it, where I used to hate it. Owe the whole business to Butch and Gerry really. He used to always have that picture of his 2 down 1 up Taughty, on orange and white New England Safety Blue up on the rotator. Remember that? I used to always see it when it'd come up (like 10 years ago) and think, "Man, that knot sucks. Poor old-timers. They didn't even know about the Blake. How could anybody still stand to climb on that? That and his comment about the Taughtline being, "a living, breathing thing." Gerry's got some pretty compelling stuff about it in his Fundamentals. Also: I'm pretty sure that the BC training standards (British Columbia) for years stipulated the Taughty as the only acceptable climbers knot for their woods climbing training program. (It's what certifies all their heli-logger guys). You guys are lucky that I gotta go, or else you'd have to skip about ten more paragraphs while I address the 11 mil. vs. half inch/ 24 strand vs. 16 strand stuff. You lucky gents!

Rich: Almost fergot to say... crackin pics, mate. Seriously. LOVE those trees you guys got. I fergot there even WAS such a thing as a Lime tree. :|:

Jed, I used the taut line forever as well. Try reversing the direction of the upper wraps so the tail comes out on the same side as the working end. This makes it more of an open prussick and almost eliminates all rollout of the hitch.

Fascinating perspective there, Jed. Looking forward to hearing more. Never really thought about the pitchy thing but that is a big plus.

Gerry's 'living, breathing thing' is cool!

Two basic bang-overs, and a stand-up a back -leaner and light pull on a preset rope. Drive-up to drive-away, hour and twenty minutes. Put on ground only.

Had to remove a swing between the two trees behind the big Huckleberry Bush that is being held out of the way with a white rope.

64" bar cover and size xxxxs glove for reference.

;):D

Fit them between a between a maple on the right, and little firs on the left.

IMG_20171107_145257159.jpg IMG_20171107_145234835.jpg IMG_20171107_152729282.jpg IMG_20171107_152830195_HDR.jpg

The HO was happy about it, independent of the time involved.

Repeat customer. She sells flower that she grows at the local market. Beautiful dahlias and much more. A widow living in a geodesic dome built 40 years ago. Does a lot of fundraising for my friend's cat rescue.

She had full payment. Thought I could give her a benjamin back. She spreads my name a lot in my favorite work-market out on the peninsula. Nice lady. Trying to keep up with home safety with approaching root-disease (carried mainly through root to root contact), while not getting overwhelmed with firewood. These trees are some of the last doug-fir upwind of her house, within striking distance.

While there, I spotted more root and butt disease conks in the base of some declining, stump-sprouted bigleaf maples, leaning decidely toward her gazebo and greenhouse.

Good job security there...drop and leave job, every year or two.

Customer interaction is a satisfying part of my work.

I agree with your last statement Sean. It doesn't seem like I always get a happy welcome but after I get started and when the job is finished people always seem happy and appreciative. It seems like the nature of job kind of brings out the kid in people.

Great pics Reg and nice wood! :thumbup:

Can't fool me Reg.
You are just being a wannabe PNW logger with that stump.

You do some damned fine saw work for a non logger.

Can't fool me Reg.
You are just being a wannabe PNW logger with that stump.

You do some damned fine saw work for a non logger.
Nah....I'm a climber Stig. That's my bread and butter, and where I make money. The pics just showing the end game of that job. All that wood will be sold as is. The Humboldt cuts are just to keep the log square at the bottom.....otherwise it's not the best choice. Thanks anyway.

Some Bradford pear reductions this afternoon. Not bad for two and a half hours.
IMG_2108.jpg IMG_2109.jpg
One more to do next Saturday. Apparently I'll have to do more than cone off the area the night before. I had a thought of hooking a chain to that POS and dragging it away but contained myself. We would've been pushing to finish before dark anyhow plus we have a big pin oak to prune a few blocks away that will take up a good chunk of next Saturday.

Those came out looking great. But sometimes don't you feel like a brutal hacking is more called for because you can't kill them and they grow back super fast.

I had a job a couple years ago reducing them at a car dealership, they wanted them drastically reduced. So thats what I did but left them still looking reasonably decent, they still looked like trees. Less than a year later I drove by and some true hack looking guys were in there completely hat racking them. Ok, whatev. Well they grew back fairly fast and, go figure, the dealership called me to butcher them again. So I butchered them back to hat racks, but because they had produced thousands of suckers rebounding from the hat racking, there was plenty of green to work with and I left them looking pretty good....green and fairly soft looking, weird looking but hat rack shape not visible.

They recover from everything but the stump grinder! Do it nicely and they don't react quite as fast with surge growth. In two years we're supposed to hit them again and they should be evened up in size. Seems to be something that the business that hired us wants. My nieghbor had a bunch of these destroyed in a storm quite a few years back. I told him to get rid of them and start over. He hat racked the shit out of them and they look great now. Vile weeds them bradfords are!

Back