The Official Work Pictures Thread

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Snapping a branch and then careering towards the jaggy stub is the thing of nightmares. A very good thing to be aware off though IMO.

Worth mentioning for some people...
The groundie can take the tail of your rope (might need to 'spike' the rope a few times below a DdRT system, removing 'spikes' as you walk-out) and take a wrap on a ground anchor someplace opposite the swing, to arrest the climber's swing toward the spike of a broken branch stub.

My groundling didn't need to save me from being spiked but he took a couple of pictures .

c599ac3ccb5bcdf55c4d818d6aa36a14.jpg

fd97b357ef4677771c16e6c0c1bf2208.jpg

445bc1a915aeb4709b83dc0f13094540.jpg

48176592199dcb6de662d434e03749e4.jpg

Rich

Pulling your way out a questionable limb with your arms countering the support from the rope, will lift the limb, as compared to limb-walking.

This.

That being said, I've been amazed at the body weight some long fir branches have taken without complaint.

Yer darn tootin, man, I've seen the weirdest stuff too. I used to listen to John, (old guy in our shop) who used to talk about what season it was, etc... trying to account for why some limbs hang-on like mad, while others seem to pop clean off with so little provocation................ At length.... it seems like none of us really know. Kinda spooky stuff sometimes. Fun too though. Fun AND spooky... that's like, all of life, pretty much, ain't it?

Super random pics from this week.

Snow on leaves... not good.

unnamed-1544.jpg unnamed-1543.jpg

The General Sherman...

unnamed-1541.jpg

The General again...

unnamed-1540.jpg

Don't look at my face in this next pic. I used to be waaaaayyy better looking than this. Not shure what happened in the last couple years.

unnamed-1542.jpg

Dang it all... I'm way better looking that that NOW! :X Here... I got Emma to shoot a pic of me while I type this to PROVE it...

IMG_0003.JPG

Now, tell me that ain't a roguish-lookin rake if you've ever seen one. MAN, a bad camera man'll piss me off sometimes.

Great pics.

You aren't actually trying to tell us you a taut line man, is you??!!??

You say that like it's a bad thing. :drink:

Ha i know what you mean. But I thought Jed was high tech somewhat, some srt, etc.

If a taut line is one's preferred hitch, that's cool, but wouldn't you want it in a split tail set up so you could do alternate lanyard technique when you needed to? Back in the day, TL was always a closed system which either meant doing some unsecured free climbing or else a lot of tying and untying of the TL (which, granted, ties quickly, but you know).

Nice pictures and job Rich!

Looks like he might work out for you Deva. Nice shot of him out there.

Thanks Guys.

Believe it or not... Redwood branches can be pretty fragile.
Lot's of pole tools from below and above the work to get the angle on the bite right.

I went up and did the top half then came down and used the sena comms to point out deadwood from the ground ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sugar pine also comes to mind. Did two of these is beetle infested tops on a couple 150 foot sugar pines. Watch your head going up. Keep everyone away from the tree. Shat falling everywhere.
Can't embed from my phone.... (Fixed)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y6_fDp27wjE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a couple from a crane Thang the other day.
BEF6DF90-.jpg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/89pET7AuGeQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was curious about the more frequent craning jobs.

I've only done two crane jobs this year. After not doing them for a bit, its easy to forget how easy it can make stuff.

This is our local guy. Him and his dad were doing this together for many years. His dad retired and recently passed on. This 15 ton is all he has now. He and I work well together. The bigger canes are hard to get. They come from 2 hours or more away.
In the past, we had more of access issues than anything and folks not willing to spend the money. We sold ourselves as the guys that could rig stuff down if a crane was not available or there was no access.
With the tree mortality issue, and drought damaged trees, a crane is often accepted now as just plain safer practice.
Home owner clean up is occurring more often. Trying to balance out the cost of a removal by doing some of the work. Work that has been left undone too long. Cracked and crispy. The homeowners are just doing what they have to do.
And I work on what I want.
Crane work with out the proper iron is a logistics nightmare as well.
Now that we the bigger chipper and the dingo, the material just goes away.

That looks almost identical to crane we used to set house trusses with yesterday and the one that I would like to use to do some tree removals. If you don't mind me asking, what the hourly rate for that crane?

He charges me 140.00 per. I prep a lot before arrives so our work goes fast. He often will book 2-3 jobs like trusses and ac units after us so I often only get hit with a partial portal to portal.

Good to know, thanks

This guy charges $50 travel time and $100 crane time. We live in fairly poor area so prices aren't real good for anything.

We are like the Ozarks of CA here. Fixed income mostly. Retired folks etc. We do have an influx of smaaler quantities of people coming in from the larger cities with money cashed out on homes they had and are looking for a simpler life. Those folks feel the bargain. We are pretty low priced for our services by CA standards.

Back