The Official Work Pictures Thread

Couple of pics from todays tree. Still in denial about its height....cant believe I underestimated it so much. I realize now I had my 150ft rope today which was all out where I topped it. So, maybe where I tied it off maybe I lost 5 feet or so, which makes it a little over 140 where I made the cut. Then the top was about 25 ft on top of that. Something up with my eyes perhaps.

I got plenty more pics, but Ill post them another day when I have more time.

DSC04450 (1024x768).jpg DSC04511 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• DSC04512 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC04512 (1024x768).jpg
    593 KB · Views: 59
Except for being under time pressure, that sure looks like a nice job.
What is the view like?

Nice view Stig. Out in sooke. Lots of visible cliffs and canyons from up the top of the tree. Can't see much from the ground though, just more trees.

I figured it would be good from up there.You have some beautiful countryside up there.

You know, on the rare occasions that I've had to top a tall fir here in the woods ( Did a couple that were to be used as climbing masts not too long ago) that moment when you pass out of the shade of the forest canopy and into the sun, is so special.

From no view at all to having the world at your feet. Just have to take a short break and enjoy it.

One of my best Redwood climbs was simply so good because the view was spectaculer.
The Goose ridge tree, that we climbed with Jerry B. in 2009.
Dead easy climb, but situated on a clear cut ridge with a 50 mile view all the way to the ocean.
Every time I got to looking out, I'd have to hang and enjoy it for a while before going on.

No its just a deep undercut. Seans cut is similar but different.....it's an aquired taste.

To say the least, Mick. I really dislike Sean's "magic cut". The COG cut theory is explained a lot better by Gerry B. in his Fundamentals book. It has near perfect directional control. The downside is the time needed to cut the diagonal, which I've started to cheat a lot by just making the opening really narrow in non-critical shots.

I remember Sean eulogising about it.

When I have to do big multiple ring downs using a bigger saw I take a small felling lever, small narrow gob then as soon as the back cut goes in slip in the lever then near the end over it goes. You can get a piece 4 or 5 times bigger on the floor than you could push off by hand.
I can see that if at all possible a snap cut would be better reducing it the cuts made, especially on a 140' tree.
Big diagonal cuts are a pita, especially multiple ones with a topper.

I figured it would be good from up there.You have some beautiful countryside up there.

You know, on the rare occasions that I've had to top a tall fir here in the woods ( Did a couple that were to be used as climbing masts not too long ago) that moment when you pass out of the shade of the forest canopy and into the sun, is so special.

From no view at all to having the world at your feet. Just have to take a short break and enjoy it.

One of my best Redwood climbs was simply so good because the view was spectaculer.
The Goose ridge tree, that we climbed with Jerry B. in 2009.
Dead easy climb, but situated on a clear cut ridge with a 50 mile view all the way to the ocean.
Every time I got to looking out, I'd have to hang and enjoy it for a while before going on.

We have amazing view around here stig....especially when you're up top of a fir tree. But the pressure of being in work mode takes much of the appreciation away.

...I take a small felling lever,...

Cool idea. It's super weird that... where you guys use felling levers there... we bang wedges here. I've never even SEEN a felling lever in person. Cultural stuff is weird. The lever sounds somewhat better, to be honest.

Levers max out pretty quick....not a good predicament up a tree. Axe and wedges give you way more capability and reassurance

Back