The Official Work Pictures Thread

Back in the sap again today. These wouldn't even be "fun size" to Scott but they are pretty big for long leafs here. The biggest was a hundred year old 32 incher. Gave the logs to the owner of a local back-yard sawmill. We had to load 'em for him but at least it keeps them out of the landfill.
IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2198.JPG IMG_0372.JPG-2.jpeg

No... but thanks Cory. You're absolutely right. I'm learning little tricks over time. I did pretty good today if I don't say so myself. I befriended a guy from Cincinnati years ago named Dan Newell who is simply the second coolest man (after Christ) who has ever been borne. I'm always trying to imitate his inimitable style. For one thing, his voice was really stinkin low, and I can never quite nail it. :(

Anyway, the guy was just so very, uhhh.... non-reactionary. I had an eye doctor tell me one time (true story)... "You know what the problem with our entire culture is, Jed?" Me: No... What? Him: (Can't remember his last name, but his first name was Thomas) "Inflammation." Me: Inflammation? Thomas: "Yeah... We're just all so overly reactionary. You know what my favorite drug is in my practice?" Me: "No... What?" Thomas: "It's a steroid." Me: "Oh yeah?" Thomas: "Yeah. People come in here with all kinds of conditions, and, you know... they've just been itching and rubbing at their poor eyes till they are just fighting red and all inflamed and irritated, and they think that they have this terrible problem, and you know what I do?" Me: "What?" Thomas: "I take out this little DROPPER... and I put about two drops of this steroid in their eyes, and... (here Dr. Thomas made a weird expanding gesture with his hands and a noise with his mouth that sounded like 'BHUAAAaaaaa'...) all of the problem, is just........ Completely gone."

In the first picture we have a very short, squat, fat little pig of a Big Leaf Maple growing on a 45 degree hill with three (I'm not kiddn ya.) hurricane fences on the bottom of it. The second pic... the last fat little chunk we lugged up the hill with our knuckle-boom. One last pic of the stump for good measure.

unnamed-935.jpg unnamed-936.jpg unnamed-937.jpg

Rich: That sucks, man.

Awwhh... cool, Ray... Wow... 100 rings in that pig... wow... georgeous pines down there. Man! Look at those pigs bleed! Wow.

Say... Did you ever try Stig's trick of just cutting a wood wedge with a little diagonal from the log off the top cut (I think he got the trick from Justin.) and then just taping it down with the guide-bar? Skips a step with the plastic wedge on the buckin, and works a charm.

I tried picking up a wedge of it and I couldn't put it down, stuck like gorilla glue ;). No I saw that but haven't tried it yet. Never cut on a slope like that Jed, got to be a bit tricky.

Super sappy pines Ray, nice job on getting em down!

Jed them some toads there, 45deg. hill is a tough gig bro...

I had a most dangerous episode on a slope, a tree meant to knock down a horizontal hung up one teetered and came back. I tried to flee but my feet just skidded out and I landed on my back. That old adage about escape routes is hard to apply on steep inclines.

lol, I wonder if brother Ray could make them "fly strips" with that sap....:lol:
Those second day stumps will be covered with all manner of poor little wayward sticky varmints so I don't see why it wouldn't work!
I suspect it would be hard to judge lean on a slope without a plumb bob Jay.

Do people carry a plumb bob to the field?

Not to sound dumb or anything, but I use my axe.

Hardly sounds dumb Jim... that's what most of the experienced timber-cutters do. I'm not an experienced timber cutter, so I carry a plumb-bob. Mostly just so I can gauge when to put a rope for back-lean. There's an old adage around here for when there is more than 10 degrees of back-lean: "Don't be a dope, put a rope." Less than ten with minimal limb-weight... back-cut first. Eight degrees, but heavy limb-weight, and a bad wind... "Don't be a dope..."

Of course, all this is to be gauged ceteris paribus, my good man,... sound wood on the stump, etc.

One of yesterday's trees. Hard lean toward the house. Compensation pull was not compensating enough but I knew I could do it with Pondarosa pine.
Perfect shot to the lay with room to back up beside it with chipper. Faced it over 10 feet to the right of that lay in order to get that spot.
5a172f4fbd0407f4e6c7e3a71d90cf01.jpg
5a1c08b08c73b0409ccbd1445af1aad5.jpg

First day with new monkey beaver belt yesterday…
1137e04f7eb88b4eeebb9b8981789cd2.jpg
98b2c80f73627dbe44409a9166941433.jpg

Climbed this turd with it.
Weird dead Sugarpine with core spirally exposed like a carrot. Was glad when it was over. Went real high to not sideload the spar with the weight of the top.
b9621ab5b79606696dcfaf8e19ebaca6.jpg
25078afd4eac37422967f1be0a199782.jpg

Back