The Official Work Pictures Thread

And for trees you want to squeeze into a tight lay.
That is what I've been doing all day.

I get that, but I gut more to get by with using a shorter bar. I cut down a 5'-er a couple of weeks ago with my MS290 w/18" bar, using the 660 w/28" bar only to finish the notch and get the heart wood. I hit way too many nails to use the long bar exclusively. I'd rather sharpen (or trash) a $15 18" chain than a 24" or 28" chain.

Same reason here. I double cut a lot of notches and back cuts. Dulling a 20” chain doesn’t bother me. A 25” is a bit annoying. 28” and 32” piss me off. Bigger than that and they go to the grinder most times. Another reason is I don’t usually switch saws from felling to limbing. It’s safer and easier to run a shorter bar. The last reason is I’m getting older and can appreciate the weight difference. I’m running lighter saws (462 & 500i) with ultra lite bars. Gives me an edge on the 20 year olds that wanna swing a 660 all day.

Heavy saws are heavy.

Light is right.

I'm going to start up to the lighter, fancier bars 28 & 36".

Some days I don't run more than Echo 2511t.

My transition to lighter saws is partly âge/strength related, my 560s collect dust while my 550s come out every day for limbing up, light felling etc, and the 2511 is the weapon of choice aloft, and partly as a result of having a loader so there’s less need to cut stuff up.

I use the lightest saw that'll get the job done. My back's not that great anyway, and if a cut takes a few seconds longer, that's a few seconds more doing what I want to do. Stihl's 880 page always amuses me. They recommend a 16" bar. Seriously?! That's ridiculous overkill. That thing could kickback, take your arm off, and get back in the cut without missing a beat :^D

A friend of mine who used to contract cut timber fabbed a 14" bar for his Husky 266. It would sing through wood.

Is that just because you can't get a 42" to cut?

Is what because I can't get a 42" bar to cut?

Its a saying, I didn't make it up.

Those loggers in the photo are tough, non anti vibe saws are the worse.

That tree split a long time ago. At least 2-3 years based on the woundwood growth along the crack. Still a risk, but it's withstood 2-3 years of storms and wind. Not as spooky as a fresh split, for sure.

Back