The Official Work Pictures Thread

2 years ago we convinced the owner of this castle, that the 300+year old Beech next to it would have to go.
Kretzmaria around the root section, while Polyporus squamosis and Fomes fomentarium were fighting each other for domination higher up.
One sick tree. Turned out to be even worse that we thought.
Today we finally had the perfect conditions for doing the job.
Huge forwarder working near by and bone dry ground, so we wouldn't tear the park up too badly and the forwarder would have good traction for pulling the tree over.

P1070584.JPG P1070648.JPG P1070597.JPG P1070599.JPG P1070639.JPG P1070615.JPG P1070617.JPG P1070619.JPG P1070631.JPG P1070644.JPG

Good call. Pretty dang rotten. Beast of a stem. Well done sir!

I been dead wooding Ponderosa, Western Red Cedar and a lonely little White Fir all week. Been pushing a 100F so we were working at 5000 feet elevation. I refused the one closest to the power lines. Had an incident when I did it last with the others. I told the HO that if the ROW crews keep killing limbs on it, they can clean them off. He keeps putting "do not cut" tape on them with the neighbors doing the same. They'll lean the hard way. Lots of up and down SRT but able to set lines from adjacent trees helps. That back side drops off in a creek bed. A lot of cut and toss there. Some zip line to a landing where they burn down below. All the rest we chipped. No access. Long walks.
Story is such. I removed a couple fir and a 150 foot ponderosa there exposing all the dead behind them years ago. They had a fire up there and they got scared. Plus, one has to get tired of seeing dead limbs hanging almost to the ground.
Fodder IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG

We found a build up of pitch on the bollard that had accrued while lowering sappy limbs. That top came to an abrupt halt.
Back before we had a HOBBS. All that was done with the KK devise. Schooled the kids about sap on a bollard after i came down. Dang stem was sprung loaded with the goofs in it. Every log lowered it would shake and sway like crazy.

The kid who works with me while my apprentice is at school as an apprentice wannabe ( Means he is bypassing the school, just taking the required courses and trying to learn the rest from me) is a dyed in the wool Husqvarna fanatic.
Keeps trying to start a discussion about it to no avail, since I don't give a shit.
I run Stihl because the local dealer is most likely the best saw mechanic in the country.
When he retires, I'll maybe switch if there is a good Husky dealer nearby.
IMO Husqvarna has Stihl beat with the smaller saws, up to 60 cc.
Above that, Stihl wins, especially after the introduction of the 500i.

He has a 3120, which looks like it hasn't been run much, if at all, so I let him handle all the large bucking cuts.
Sure put a smile on his face.
His enthusiasm for the work is boundless and he really suck up anything the old fraud shows him.
Fortunately for me, he still has a way to go before he gets the smoothness of operation that caracterizes a really experienced faller, so I put near double the amount of trees on the ground that he does.
Something to feel good about, a bit of hero worship is good for an old semicrippled faller :lol:

Last edited:
was the forwarder able to lift that butt??

Nope.

He put a logging chain around it and dragged it out of the park.
One reason we had to wait for super dry ground.
Also, I wanted that particular forwarder and driver.
It needed one hell of a pull to give that tree momentum enough from the start and keep going, so it wouldn't go sideways.
There was literally no sound hingewood to hold it, so I told the driver to go like a bat out of Hell, when I called him.
We've done a lot of work with him and know he can be trusted to follow orders completely.

P1070648.JPG

Btw, what will they do with that fat, rotted log? Grind it and bio mass?

The kid who works with me while my apprentice is at school as an apprentice wannabe ( Means he is bypassing the school, just taking the required courses and trying to learn the rest from me) is a died in the wool Husqvarna fanatic.
Keeps trying to start a discussion about it to no avail, since I don't give a shit.
I run Stihl because the local dealer is most likely the best saw mechanic in the country.
When he retires, I'll maybe switch if there is a good Husky dealer nearby.
IMO Husqvarna has Stihl beat with the smaller saws, up to 60 cc.
Above that, Stihl wins, especially after the introduction of the 500i.

He has a 3120, which looks like it hasn't been run much, if at all, so I let him handle all the large bucking cuts.
Sure put a smile on his face.
His enthusiasm for the work is boundless and he really suck up anything the old fraud shows him.
Fortunately for me, he still has a way to go before he gets the smoothness of operation that caracterizes a really experienced faller, so I put near double the amount of trees on the ground that he does.
Something to feel good about, a bit of hero worship is good for an old semicrippled faller :lol:
The weight savings in the 500i over the 572 may be worth it, but one person's dyno test of a 572 vs the 500i shows the 572 far exceeded expectations and book power rating at around 7.1hp, and the 500i was the advertised 6.8hp. The 500i looks to have had 1/3 of a ftlb more torque below 7750rpm.

Does the 500i leak oil out of the oil cap like the 460, 461 and 462? Never had one yet that sealed properly. They crud up my saw box terribly, which results in them usually staying home. I carry the Huskys in the saw boxes. The Stihls either get stored empty or set in the bed of the truck on a pile of leaves and trash.

The weight savings in the 500i over the 572 may be worth it, but one person's dyno test of a 572 vs the 500i shows the 572 far exceeded expectations and book power rating at around 7.1hp, and the 500i was the advertised 6.8hp. The 500i looks to have had 1/3 of a ftlb more torque below 7750rpm.

I'm not American, so I don't have the fixation for power.
To me, as an everyday for 8 hours user, there are other factors that count.
The, to me, best thing about the 500i is that you pump it in the morning and the rest of the day, just pull the starter and go.
No thinking about whether it has been sitting long enough to need choke etc.
Just pull and go.
I thought about that 3 days ago, when the kid managed to flood his 395 ( I think) and had to pull some 2 billion times to get it running.

If I only thought about power, I'd get one of Frankies mods, that can outpull anything else, while at the same time use less gas :lol:

Back