The Official Work Pictures Thread

Who leaves a tree here? And why does my boss bid this stuff with out a crane?
Every time I see pictures like these, Rich...I'm reminded that no matter how chancy the hazard tree removals I did for the USFS back in my prime days, there were extremely rare times with those sorts of tiny LZ's. And when I am so reminded, I bless my happy stars it was so.
:).

My hat is off to all of you folks that manage similar on a regular basis.

The reason for the low stumps is that Beech logs will split on the way to the mill, unless they have the curled wood in the buttress to hold them together.
For the same reason we always buck the log at a branch ( Usually first serious branch, unless there is a nice piece of clear wood above it), then the overgrown branch collar will hold the log togeher.

Beech veneer is peeled, so splits really lower the price of a log.

As for the "mugging for the camera" picture, I asked her to do that.
There was no chance of shit coming down from above and I figured she'd like some pictures where she is not just an unrecognizable person.

Last edited:
Well done, Stig. How's her prognosis today?

I'm waiting to find that out.
Yesterday she came down with a fever, which became rapidly worse, so we called off and went home.
Today she wrote me an sms that she wasn't coming in and since her symptoms sound like Covid19, I asked her to get tested.
She is sceduled for saturday, then we'll see.
Sitting in a car with her, I'll likely get it as well, which is not good, with leukemia and all.

But for treefalling, she is progressing rapidly and she is a pleasure to work with.
So on that front, all is good.

Since I couldn't log today because it was pissing down, I went to help Richard clearing vegetation out of a waterhole by Copenhagen Zoo.
One of those jobs that truly make me question the reason for my excistence!

P1070683.JPG P1070686.JPG

Nope, we are in the park surrounding the zoo.
Richard figured we should ask them to loan us a couple of Hippos, get that vegetation cleared up real fast.

Hi Kyle,
Is that an unusually high stump for a stump grinding job? I am asking because so far I have left stumps at max 2" (5.something cm) height thinking that is what the stump grinding person is willing to work with. Anyone else can feel free to chime in.

It's only a couple inches high, the last round is sitting right there so that's what you are seeing. I have a full wrap handle, but it's right there.

I guess a steel wedge is alright if you're done with the saw. I wouldn't want to use one while the saw was still in action. Most of mine are shaped weird though, and I don't think they'd be good for lifting trees.

Back