The Official Work Pictures Thread

Gettin out there!

Cleaning up from last October's nor'Easter, big pines blown over and hung up. Mini for the win.

That was the AM, then I tipped Svens mini on its side after lunch! Felt like a right twat. Portable winch to tip it up, popped the glow plugs and cranked a bunch of oil out. Fired up, oil and filter change tomorrow

Fixed it, but I still feel sheepish

20200812_095223.jpg 20200812_095213.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome picture man
My oldest son took that pic. I'm glad that he chose the B&W . When my boys care enough to take a good pic I see promise and get excited to teach them how to climb. I'm fairly sure that the few climbers that made it in front of Mr. Beranek's lens felt flattered and though they may not have let on, were willing to have shared a little extra with him. Pure speculation on my part.

Shit happens Sean. How does a mini compare with a 4x4 pickup for pulling? I guess assume flat ground, and wide open to keep it kinda equal.

I think the mini is better, more traction and more maneuverable. Wide open field, probably a full sized truck. Mini makes for a less jerky pull, especially with the 2:1 setup

Bummer on the tip over but if she's all gtg/no damage afterward, then 8)

There's no way a mini will out pull a truck. A mini weighs what, 2 to 4k? A truck empty is 8k, mine fully loaded is 14k.

Pulling w/o an arch is just a ton of wear and tear on any puller other than a skidder or dozer with appropriately set up winch. Just my 2 cents.

Yup. I wouldn't want to use a truck as a skidder for making money. Might be a good use for a beater truck on a farm if the terrain wasn't too bad.

I backed my Ram 3500 (1200#) a bit too far last year into a wet spot, and pulled it out with the Boxer via a 2:1. I frequently use 2:1 to pull, and many times go to a 4:1 setup. Biggest factor in 4:1 is running out of room/rope.

I wanted a straight-shift again, but the Ram is auto. I worked out of a '95 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 for years. I had by-passed the clutch safety switch so I could tension in 4-LO, cut it off, notch and start my back cut, go to the truck, reach through the open window (standing on running board), and wind the starter a few times and winch most trees right over. Can't do that with the auto.....:(

Yup, hem-rot...western hemlock 24" dbh, slow to taper.
Miriam been working with me for about 5 months, on and off, every other week, since her gig teaching music to kids, and caregiving to a fellow with early dementia dried up with Covid.

I've done almost all the lowering so far, if not all, though she's done speedline work.

She cut her teeth. Winched up long, low limbs over the house yesterday.
Had the bollard on for wood today, after I lowered the top, natural crotched.

IMG_20200812_135009669.jpg

IMG_20200813_175101554_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200813_184214646.jpg

IMG_20200813_185148235.jpg

Had a dogleg, and exposed cavities. Kept pieces reasonable/ manageable sized, as the lowering point is a bit over a fence, and tree is structurally lovely, with the wobbly fence on one side, house on the opposite side.

20-30' left for tomorrow.

Last edited:
There's no way a mini will out pull a truck. A mini weighs what, 2 to 4k? A truck empty is 8k, mine fully loaded is 14k.
Having pulled with mini and my Ram 2500. The mini wins when pulling off of dirt. On pavement the truck is the hands down the winner. It all comes down to traction.

There’s no way my Boxer will outpull my Ram 3500, regardless of surface. But being able to inch is nice, as well as being able to get it into tighter quarters for redirects.

The beauty of the mini in concert with a 3500...this was last summer. My wife and I took a road trip up to Smith Lake to take down several trees for a customer who owns a house up there. Worked nearly til dark, cleaned up, went into town for supper, then camped out by the lake. Got up and finished the job the next day.

823C9E05-FC57-4C23-92A7-CF987A16A03C.jpeg

Back