The Official Work Pictures Thread

Back in January I removed a tree for a utility company that had compromised the residential service tap. The roots had completely blocked the pipe and had grown up the pipe ~10' into the man hole, traveling ~14' deep to the bottom of it (they didn't investigate farther than that).

If you ever get a chance to watch a sewer cam crew inspecting and look at the screen when they're doing it, in a bunch of places it almost appears the pipes are simply a tunnel in a hedge or something. Nothing but roots on the surface of the pipes. It blew me away when i first saw it.

70A8BEE0-A681-431B-A7EA-385DE85E600E.jpeg
This was enough for me to rethink climbing dead ash. I’ve climbed more than my fair share. This one showed nothing out of the ordinary. I set a pull line and was just pulling the running bowline tight when I heard a crack. Next tug and away she went. There was nothing to hurt. Just trying to keep the mess in one area.
Also it broke just below the first crotch. Kinda noticing a pattern here

3A9F6097-404D-47DD-B5CA-B50080ED2617.jpeg 392157F7-C48E-439E-968A-9ACE6BD30486.jpeg B3011B69-8517-44D9-A08F-62B69C5D61AA.jpeg EB5BE5BD-2E66-458A-A0DD-1C432C12368B.jpeg 3A9F6097-404D-47DD-B5CA-B50080ED2617.jpeg 392157F7-C48E-439E-968A-9ACE6BD30486.jpeg B3011B69-8517-44D9-A08F-62B69C5D61AA.jpeg EB5BE5BD-2E66-458A-A0DD-1C432C12368B.jpeg
Little white pine removal job that the boss gave to a 2 man crew on Friday. Both men are 60. I decided to miss a few estimates and assist. Brought my mini in and we rocked it. 5 whites gone and done before the rain hit at 1:00. These two guys amaze me. They do all the smaller jobs but have the best percentage in the company. They just toil along and get the job done.
Edit: I have no idea what happened with the pics

Little white pine removal job that the boss gave to a 2 man crew on Friday. Both men are 60.....These two guys amaze me. They do all the smaller jobs but have the best percentage in the company. They just toil along and get the job done.

#oldguysaresavageswink

@treebilly , scary chit. How many twigs were on the tree? Were you pulling with a machine or just by hand?

Last edited:
The utility "hot spotted" some Manitoba Maples I was asked to remove. They were nice enough to leave the stuff over the house for me. The one by the garage wasn't so bad but the sloped stumpcut counts as a personal fail. I would've took another run at it if I didn't think I'd make it worse.

treepic2.jpg treepic.JPG treepic 3.jpg

View attachment 100956
Little white pine removal job that the boss gave to a 2 man crew on Friday. Both men are 60. I decided to miss a few estimates and assist. Brought my mini in and we rocked it. 5 whites gone and done before the rain hit at 1:00. These two guys amaze me. They do all the smaller jobs but have the best percentage in the company. They just toil along and get the job done.
Edit: I have no idea what happened with the pics
Never had a mini, but as a lazy old guy I would have pulled a section of fence rather than drag brush all the way around the house out to the front yard.

That Brian was the original plan. I missed the electric wire that was underneath the middle fence stringer. He had wire staples every 6” and it was a good run between junctions.

Well that explains that. I really am fortunate that in a similar situation my material handler on the bucket truck can be used to just crane all the brush over and set it behind the chipper, and logs can be picked up and loaded directly into the log truck/trailer without moving the bucket truck. It really gives me a huge bidding advantage on many limited access jobs (as long as I can reach it with the bucket truck).

It was gone but no shedding of bark or fungal growth yet. I’ve heard of them failing with epic or mic growth though. Fing spell check
The problem with them here is that the fungus that kills them, weakens them enough that Armillaria can get to them.
So the part that one needs for a hinge is basically worthless.
3 years ago I tried to do an easy fall on a BIG one next to a forest road and lost it sideways into another one of the same size.
A humonguous mess.
I posted pictures here at the time.

Removed these two white pines Friday. Speedlined all the brush, rigged some saw logs from the biggun off the little one. Chunked the smaller one down til it could be flopped (about 18ft)
KIMG0549.JPG IMG_20200515_180153_019.jpg IMG_20200515_180153_018.jpg

Earlier in the week we craned this big pig out. Nearly 4ft on the stump. About 25 yds of chips and a few trips to the mill.
IMG_20200512_180643_531.jpg

Oh yea got the box off my mack on the new to me 550. Holds alot of chips for a nice short 4x4 truck
IMG_20200502_204041_459.jpg

Loaded some logs at a local park we work for. Been putting it off so good to get that done. Bmg is the bees knees for this. Dingo wouldn't even pick up several of the bigger ones at all. One side at a time though and it'll slide em in the truck. IMG_20200514_202605_706.jpg

Noob question: When chunking down like that, are you tipping it over with the top rope and keeping the weight distributed between both all the way to the ground?

Noob question: When chunking down like that, are you tipping it over with the top rope and keeping the weight distributed between both all the way to the ground?
Tipping with a deep notch in this instance. Pretension from the top rope can serve that function as well but we didn't need it on a vertical spar. Butt tie was a drift line to slow the swing and loading of the spar. It served less purpose the further we got down, last piece or two it wasn't necessary as the top rope angle was much more favorable.

Removed these two white pines Friday. Speedlined all the brush, rigged some saw logs from the biggun off the little one. Chunked the smaller one down til it could be flopped (about 18ft)
View attachment 101016View attachment 101017View attachment 101018

Earlier in the week we craned this big pig out. Nearly 4ft on the stump. About 25 yds of chips and a few trips to the mill.
View attachment 101019

Oh yea got the box off my mack on the new to me 550. Holds alot of chips for a nice short 4x4 truck
View attachment 101020

Loaded some logs at a local park we work for. Been putting it off so good to get that done. Bmg is the bees knees for this. Dingo wouldn't even pick up several of the bigger ones at all. One side at a time though and it'll slide em in the truck.View attachment 101021

Great pics.

When you want a piece for comedown butt first, ie tip tied. It can be pretty violent as the piece banjo’s about.

I have found if you tie off about a third or so down making sure it is butt heavy, the piece tends to just float off and is a hell of a lot less violent. Negating the need for the butt tie in a situation as close as the one pictured.

Not trying to be a smart Alec, I just thought I’d mention it as it was fresh in my mind as we did similar in some poplars last week. We had the bring the stems down in 4-5 metre lengths. The movement in some of the pieces was in danger of striking the climber. I suggested the above and he had never see or heard of it before.

Super smooth. Big floaty pieces and less kit needed.

Good advice, haven't tried the 1/3rd. I'll give it a shot next time.
I've had good luck with mid ties before, gets the work away from the climber a bit and makes it more manageable for the groundsman to lay it in position when it gets to the staging area.
Whats not pictured is the spar tree was alot shorter (like 60ft vs 120) and co-dominant, aka not ideal. Lashed the two tops together at around 6" diameter wood for our rig point. Negative rigged until we got got just below even with the spar tree. Already about 22-24" dia at that point, so figuring on about 850-1000lb logs into the poor little thing.
Drift line was taking a good bit of the initial force, especially on the first few pieces. Used one of those three hole thimbles for it and it worked really well.

Back