The Official Work Pictures Thread

SEAN: Yer a terrorist now bud! Good job! Dang. Wow. Dang man... pretty stinkin good job man. Dang dude.

Green Greer: Yer the man as always. Some really clean good work fer sure. :thumbup:

Look at this rotton filth from today... The back tree was crotched inside the front one. Both trees (135' on the Nikon Forestry laser by 39" dbh) were fallen (not fell) as one.

20200519_081051.jpg

Sean, Fine looking hinges and look at all dem trees with barely any leaves!!

#northcountry

SEAN: Yer a terrorist now bud! Good job! Dang. Wow. Dang man... pretty stinkin good job man. Dang dude.

Green Greer: Yer the man as always. Some really clean good work fer sure. :thumbup:

Look at this rotton filth from today... The back tree was crotched inside the front one. Both trees (135' on the Nikon Forestry laser by 39" dbh) were fallen (not fell) as one.

I've dealt with that around here when hard maple grows in a really wet area. The sapwood doesn't mind the wet feet, but the heartwood rots away from the inside. So you're left with a big tree with very little structural support but looks healthy from the outside because all the sapwood is intact. Scary. Some cases like that while climbing I'd be tipped off by a knot hole, and you can see the hollow core. One time I removed the entire crown piece by piece and never knew it was hollow until I got to the trunk. That put the fear in me. Now when I have something I suspect could be similar I try to tie into an adjacent tree, if I absolutely have to climb it.

Sounding the trunk with a hammer/ ax can tip you off to hollows usually.
That's worked well for me on dead/dying trees. I've had less success with it on 'healthy' hollowed ones. Maybe I'M the issue :D

With the power head upright, you can test with a bore-cut.

I usually bid out of my work truck, where I have a battery-powered drill and various long bits. Good for testing.

That is how I go about it. Bore right in front of where you are going to put your hinge, with the bar held vertical.
That way you don't accidently cut any fibers you might need later.

I don't, mostly, like American cars/trucks.
But for that class, you have some nice ones.
Gas mileage kills them outside of the US though.

I don't have a chip truck.
We hire out for chipping except for the real small stuff.

A lot of our powerplants have been converted to bio fuel, so chips are worth good money here.
When we log, everything below 5" is cut into 15' lengths and forwarded out for chipping.

Might be hard, since we are usually long gone when the chipper arrives.
I'll think of you if I happen to come by one working.

They are Truck mounted HUGE chippers 400 Hp and upwards, with an extra engine for the crane hydraulics..
Can take a piece of 24" by 48 ".
If logs are thicker than 24", we cut them at 10', then they can split them with their hydraulic splitting device.

Last edited:
Badass machines. I can stay for hours looking the vids. There aren't common around me. I saw only once a big one pulled by a giant tractor, but it was just traveling on the road.

I tried them and when I palm my hitch on descent they get sucked into the knot. Operator error maybe?

Back