The Official Work Pictures Thread

Interesting about the Irish ivy. I'll have to see what's infesting my property. As much as I despise ivy, it doesn't come close to my hatred of bittersweet. That stuff's insidious. It seems to camouflage perfectly with any deciduous tree til all the sudden you see it, and think "Where the hell did that come from?!". It completely fills trees til it eventually pulls them over, and grows a metric ton of berries so it spreads everywhere. I wish more people would notice and do something about it. It'll never be gone, but if everyone took care of their properties, it could be significantly slowed.

But it takes years to rot after that and until it falls completely, the tree looks like crap. Each time I can, I clean the tree thoroughly. I wont climb to chase the ivy, but if I'm already up there to work on the tree, I usually take the opportunity. The tree looks so nicer after a little care.

Took out some large dead wood from this old friend today. These larger limbs were being shaded out and were in decline when we removed the mistletoe some years ago. Home owners like to play under it a bit and were worried about them now that they are dead. You can kind of see why. I'll be going back after the leaves fall to work on the mistletoe that is trying to come back. 20200512_100552.jpg 20200512_100557.jpg 20200512_105110.jpg IMG_0272.JPG

That is a beauty of a tree, Stephen. It must be a good thing, to have clients with the vision and wherewithal to take care of a fine specimen like that. Well done.
Very nice folks. Right up the street from me. I just drive the John Deere up there and my help follows in the truck. Pretty much 2x per month. What i can get done, what do i see, call them if something i notice. Really care about the property and the trees.
They just bought a forestry mower to take care of the place now that its all brushed out. Asked me if i wanted to drive it and try it out the other day. I declined since my back was hurting. Maybe next time. He's like a kid in a candy store with it.

Big ugly white pine. Lots of upturned leads, about 110' tall and 4'x3' on the stump. Picked it and another Pine out before lunch.
Chestnut oak and two pine spars (brushed out yesterday) afterwards. Busy day for sure

Looks like it was a monster pine, fo sho.

Nice pics, all

My favorite way to work when I first started out was in a team of two - both could climb well. Whoever felt like climbing that day or that tree more did that. The other guy was on the ground doing exactly what you needed, when you needed it.

That is our usual operation. Sven is faster/ better on removals, but we're both good climbers. I'm a bit pickier on prunes, so nice to have a complimentary skill set. I think climbing is harder usually.

I tend to be the ground guy more, but it's great to be that guy doing exactly what's needed. I got us some SENAs this winter, but we really don't need to talk anymore, other than to problem solve a particularly tricky thing. So im a groundy more than 70%of time, not the glory gig but it works for me. That said, I'm damn smooth with a porty!

Few pics from this afternoon's job.

12:33
1589415092123.jpeg
1:03
1589415122704.jpeg

Traffic picked up considerably, mainly look Loos driving by repeatedly... finally parked the ex in the road to stop that (and pull the top, working solo).
2:16
IMG_1222.jpeg
2:29. Took about an hour to load it up and get the trailer back on the truck with the lift loaded.
1589414947854.jpeg

No judgment from here...but it looked like a healthy specimen. Why the removal?

Don't get me wrong...if the client wants it gone, if I was in your business, I'd make it gone. Plentiful supply of middlin' aged pines in your part of the country.

Just curious.

Nice man! Kinda wondering why you didn't just flop it and then doze it off the street? Or is that road way more active than I'm thinking?

It had roots in the sewer line. He spent $500 last month getting them cut out.

The road isn’t very active, easy to block off. The tree was 80-85’ tall, it would have likely been on some other properties and there is a risk of damaging the road. Dropped whole, it would have reached the excavator and a bit beyond, I think.

How does that work, exactly...how do roots grow into a theoretically solid sewer pipe? I'm not throwing stones...I just don't understand how that happens.

The joints are fairly loose too, and will often leak water which the roots are drawn to. The old clay tiles are simply placed together, with a bell on one side that the other end (the spicket) slips into. No mortar usually, which is porous anyways. Same with ductile for old sewer. Pipes will often crack from dirt settling, so even pvc isn't immune, especially the thin stuff that's code for underground. A single spot will often lead to roots filling a huge section, and even a root cutter won't cut them all the way so it's a constant issue. Even cutting the tree down won't stop them for a few years.

Back