The Official Work Pictures Thread

And having drivers for each vehicle that needs to be onsite is a biggie too

Solid, Patrick.

Double-whip tackling, and multiple lowering ropes, possibly with Mid- line attachments can help, sometimes... Less commutes up and down the tree.

I lowered 9 bigger pieces on three ropes last summer, roping a maple from over a garage, solo.

Wrapping off the ropes on stubs that can be flipped from the ground to release the right number of wraps from locked off, to lowering, is a help.

Carl, what’s with the baby back wheels?

I have seen plenty of trucks with double axel on the back but not with a rear set of tyres that small.

Pure guess work, is it to stop it flipping when you tip? A bit like a dragster with the wheelie bar set right back.

Good to go again.
So, it snapped by fatigue failure, not overload ?
Indeed, your truck looks strange with the tiny rear wheels. Is this axle motorized or is it just a share-holder?

I’m assuming it was fatigue, there wasn’t a shock load. I drove the truck back up the side of the road with the new axle with no harm.

The rear axle is a high lift tag axle, air lift and air suspension. The smaller tires are to increase clearance when the axle is lifted for less chance of getting hung up taking weight off the drive tires, like when going up the side of that road bank. Normal sized tires and a normal lift axle would have likely made that not possible.

The air suspension is adjustable from the cab. With the excavator (13.5klb) I have 40psi on the axle. If I max out the pressure (system pressure of the truck) I can lift the 5.7klb container with 26.5klb of rock in it without lifting the front end of the truck.

The wheelbase design for the hoist was for a single axle set farther back. When I was designing the truck, the payload without a second axle wasn’t what I wanted, and with my drive axle farther forward, my turning radius is significantly improved at the expense of hoist stability. The high lift tag fixed those problems and kept the benefits.

My bit of fun today. More post storm damage. Had another oak under bondage at this place, but had a line guy waiting after the service drop. Hustle to fell it and get on with this bugger. Had to cut an escape route. Crippled the last bit holding the tri pod up after cutting one of the splinters off. Left a tad of that to keep the last splinter from failing. Pull with mini and then walk it down. Alls well that lands well. HO just wanted it down, safety the wood by laying it down below head height. This tree killed his dog. Him and his bud knew their limitations. Stopped cutting on it and called me. Just cut enough off to cut some weeds around it for working.
Fodder....
And the pictures loaded backwards again... :lol: IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0257.JPG

Kind of a light on your feet day. Lots of bind to read. I made the final back cut for crippling with my pole saw. Give myself an extra 12 feet. Took a lot of upper limbs off that way too.
HO booked some black oak pruning afterwards. See if we can save some from the same fate.

Had three and a half weeks of storm damage on houses. Finally down to just blown over trees in yards and on shops and fences.

Attachments

• 20200506_085146.jpg
    20200506_085146.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200506_085134.jpg
    20200506_085134.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
Stephen, I've said it before.
They should stop trying to grow trees up your way, it simply doesn't work.

( Except for the Mariposa grove, of course).

D82491B2-AC7C-4705-99DB-F2B2A1D315BA.jpeg 2C8B61B9-F5A6-4A0A-B38A-B467AE3DEEED.jpeg Fun little job this morning. No before pics. Floated the whole thing (except the wildlife snag) out of the area. Used 750’ of rope to make it all happen. This includes my 200’ climb line. Only complaint was that he was hoping we damaged the swing so he could talk his wife into getting a new one. Not on my dime either. Went in with no guarantee of its survival. Everything worked out great.
Guess I should add that it was broke off just above the top of the snag and resting in the tree to the right.

Back