The Official Random Video Thread!

and how about that vibratory hammer!!?? And they say there is no god! Well there is something fishy going on, somewhere, somehow!

Anyway, this nature boy found this pretty interesting

They don't say, but this is by Tromsø in Norway.
I was up there 2 years ago, saw hundreds of Orca and dozens of Humpbacks hunting Herring.

Yeh, ok, apparently "Dummies" is a very relative term. because, Son, this sh*t is f'g insanely complicated. Yet fascinating. And the human brains that came up with this sh*t are truly other worldly.

Anyway, that vid led eventually to this one, and its all about decentralization and folks who thought about bitcoin realized that same concept of decentralization used there could be used in other areas which are currently centralized, like................are you ready??????? Like..........voting.

And like connecting drivers with riders without using Uber, etc etc. Pretty fascinating

They don't say, but this is by Tromsø in Norway.

I literally have to go there before death.

Tell me, is it a simple thing to do as just a tourist from usa? I guess I'm partly asking about the accessibility. Awesome video

You'd probably have to fly by way of Oslo, but once you are there, it is easy enough.
Several outfits do whale watching tours in anything from small open boats to luxury cruises.
It is, however in the middle of the dark season, since the Herring hangs around november-december, so there is not much daylight.
On the other hand, that gives an excellent chance for aurora borealis.
We sailed up there with Hurtigruten in October and had a fine display.

Actually, if you want to do it the best way, going either up from Bergen to Kirkenes or the other way round with hurtigruten is something I can recommend.
I gave my wife the trip for her 60 birthday ( And joined her, of course) and we have decided to do it again when she turns 70.

Lots and lots of Orcas and Humpbacks:

I don't think computers are reliable enough for trusting all our money to them. Natural disasters can knock out power quite easily, and software providers can send you an update that destroys your device. An EMP from the Sun or a nuke could also destroy them.

Wow, Stig. I appreciate the detailed information very much. That sounds doable and my wife has always wanted to see the AB.

How far are you from Tromso

I don't think computers are reliable enough for trusting all our money to them

Excellent, basic points that the vid didn't touch on although it did mention some foundational issues such as electricity usage and cooling of the components

Yeah, 1400 miles is far! How far was your sailing trip?

Money is already tied to computers unless you hoard cash. Any individual/group of computers going down won't affect the system, though it may affect the individual if they foolishly didn't backup their data.

that third vid brought a tear to my eye, that those huge ass whale creatures actually exist on this planet.

Don't mind me, Ive been on muscle relaxers and a heating pad for about a week :|: :dude:

Yeah, 1400 miles is far! How far was your sailing trip?

From Bergen to Kirkenes, some 2500 km I'd say.
If you ever decide to do it, let me know.
I've got some good tips, having done it twice already.

If you ever decide to do it, let me know.

Will do, thanks.

When you said 'sail' i thought you meant literally but I guess you meant cruise ship. How'd you like it? Hard to picture a cranky ol bastard like you on a cruise ship! There were no fat Americans were there?? :dude:

Border collies are cool dogs. I like watching them work sheep. They look very wolfish, which I guess is part of getting the sheep to what you want.

Cool dog vid!

Although generally speaking I think its a bad idea to teach a dog to run into/through what looks like a solid surface/wall (.23). I had a dog die when he ran full speed into a large newly fallen tree, it was dark and he wasn't used to an obstacle blocking his way at that spot in my backyard. Just sayin

Will do, thanks.

When you said 'sail' i thought you meant literally but I guess you meant cruise ship. How'd you like it? Hard to picture a cranky ol bastard like you on a cruise ship! There were no fat Americans were there?? :dude:

The M/S Lofoten is 60+ years old and the last of the original Hurtigruten ships, the ferry line that was the only thing that tied the 2500 kilometer long western coast together.
That is the one we chose to go on.
Neat old tub and not much of a cruise ship.
Enough room that I never felt crowded, which I had been worrying about.

We sat next to a skinny American couple who were on a heritage thing, one guy was of Norwegian descent, the other guy was Belgian, so they were visiting both countries.
They were completely blown away by the beauty of the coast.
I had fun switching between talking Danish to my wife, American to them and Norwegian to the waiter, quite a challenge.

Back