The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

A friend of mine,Josh, the guy on the left wearing the Stihl hat, had this cat stalking him while he was stalking a deer. The older fellow in the middle shot the cat and Josh never knew it was closing in on him. Josh lives in Grants Pass. The cat was shot Outside of Medford somewhere.

Bummer.

Still cool, and ballsy to get a shot on a cat with a bow. As you know, it could close that 30 yard distance in a blink of an eye. Did you have a buddy providing over watch with a scoped rifle?

I assume you had a sidearm. Is there an archery only season fore mtn lions on Oregon (assuming that's where you were?)

No I was sitting near a major elk trail, my buddy was over the ridge at the water the trail led to. Been 3 or 4 hours and I saw movement on the trail. Elk... no, deer... no COUGAR! I was legal for anything other than a doe, bow was in the grass beside me with an arrow nocked. Cat saw me when I scooped it up, adrenaline really flowing, put my first arrow over its head, head on. It ran a few yards and stopped broad side, nocked another and stuck it hard. It went over the bank without a sound. My .45 was in the truck, buddy had no idea, 7:30ish at night, 2 broadheads and a judo left in the quiver. I opted to hike out, get Bubba and my .45 and come back. Found my first arrow, getting dark about now and neither of us fancied going down there after it so decided to head back to camp, do a short elk hunt at daylight and come back to scour bench below where I stuck it. Never found it though. I used to say I wanted to stick a cat, now I say I want to stick one and bring it home:D We are not allowed to use dogs to pursue cats or bears :roll: here so they estimate over 5000 cats in the state, no closed season, rifle, bow, muzzleloader or whatever is acceptable, 2 tags a year per person are available for cheap.

That is a nice kitty, 80 or 90 pounds i'd guess and 3-4 years old, bad enough to take on an unaware, unarmed adult!

I remember it was Emanual who was hunting cougar with his dogs, and put up that photo. Guess nobody else remembers.... I think he was in California, a family logging business I recall. Wonder what happened to him?

found an old box of 30/06 shells cleaning out my garage....any of you deer hunters want them?

Do you guys ever cook venison is a pressure cooker? My neighbor gave me some deer and said that what he had was very tough, but to have a go with it. I tried cooking it up in a skillet, my usual way, but it was just too darn tough, ended up giving most of it to the crows. Later, he also gave some of the same batch to a lady I know, and I told her of my experience with it. She said that she was going to try cooking it in a pressure cooker. She brought over a bit for me to try and it was absolutely delicious, soft and tender with flavor much like good beef. I asked her the recipe.

She said she put some salt and pepper on it and just covered it with water, added onion and carrots and cooked it in the pressure cooker for fifteen minutes. It was a little pink in the middle and perfect to my liking. I could hardly believe it, it was that good. I'd never heard of pressure cooking game. I was very impressed and recommend it.

My Dad told me they used to can meat and it came out great. I have talked to people who have canned deer and praised it. Crock pot works well too.

White tail get pretty stupid in rut. 2 days ago at dawn I was standing out in an open field about 15 feet from the brush. I saw goldenrod moving in the next field over about 80 yards down from me. I was standing in an combined soy bean field. I stood still and he stuck his head out and looked around. He then popped out and crossed the soybean field. Never did see me.

Today I went back to the edge of my property where one of my son's friends has a tree stand up. My next door neighbors weasly friend went to the other woman who owns property that buts up to me. He told her there is a really mean coyote that is running her property and if he can set up a tree stand on her property he will take care of it. I told her BS so she was going to tell him there was already a stand up. I rode my 4-wheeler back there to see if he had a stand up already. I was standing on the crest of a steep creek bank just inside the brush line. 5 bucks of varying size were chasing each other around with the biggest one constantly grunting. I stood still and they went down in the creek valley and then started coming up towards me. A young small buck had to veer to go around me. No snorting and I watched the spectacle for 5 minutes. They were still playing their games when I left. Might have to get a bow and go back. It is windy enough so they can't hear. I don't have a bow safety stamp, but not real concerned about that.

My husband's friend has a camera at the back of our farm. He just sent us these photos. Cool!:)

Attachments

• 2010 0ct 21-26 094-1.jpg
    2010 0ct 21-26 094-1.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2010 0ct 21-26 013.jpg
    2010 0ct 21-26 013.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 101010_deer1sm.jpg
    101010_deer1sm.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 3
Yup Willie but he's not to wide, the last one is real wide but not much mass. Body wise Che has been feedin' 'em well!

Cool pics. I'd like to see more deer like those around my way. Too many guys shooting the spikes and 4 pointers though. Must deer around here don't make it past 2 1/2 years old.

Sorry, but the 'hunter' in that video looks like a department store mannequin. I've never seen anyone with a skin tone that color unless they were on their death bed. They show the 'person' in the edge of the screen for the first 10 seconds of the video and even bump it once to make you think the 'person' was moving. I'm going to say the camera was remote controlled and there was no human within a quarter mile of that animal when the video was recorded.

:roll::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That makes perfect sense!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxIEQ3C17-c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxIEQ3C17-c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So far the 2010 Controlled deer hunt (muzzle loaders only) season has been great!!! With only one day left to go, we have 7 deer hanging in the barn. I shot #5 & #7, both does. One of our guys got himself a nice 8 point buck.

There were many deer seen but with only one shot in available in our black powder guns...you have to make that one shot count! All & all, its been a great hunt.

It's just an hour & a half up the road where I hunt. Came home this afternoon (after shooting my 2nd deer) to pick up my daughter & in the morning we're going back up for the last day of the season.

HC

He is not down yet, but stopped in this morning for a nice close pic finally. Not my cam but right across the hill from it. ;)

Copy of PICT0021.jpg