Craters of the Moon N.M., Idaho pictures

Was it cool? Honestly. it reminds me a bit of a quarry with tailngs piles. I bet the skies looked great at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sunrise. I was making the morning coffee for my beloved and seeing that was one of my rewards.

Sunsets were good too. I have a pic or two. I have some more to post...was in the middle of it when the TreeHouse went down on Monday. At least it went down for me, for about 36 hours.

Maybe I will get those up today.

Last edited:
I didn't see any really pure obsidian, but that one picture I posted before of the couple of rocks showed a very glassy interior. It's a big place though, so there easily could be some out there that we didn't come across.

Those pictures sure bring back some memories.
I visited in 1981.
Had never seen anything like it before, place totally blew me away.

For old peeps, we do look right fit. She's a marvel. I'd bet she's one of those rare folks who will live past 100. Both her parents lived well into their 90's. Good genes and a healthy lifestyle are serving her well. I'm doing pretty good too, no lie. Lucky.

Hitchhiked to Craters of the Moon in 1975; revisited it with daughter while bicycling across the country in 2007. One of my favorite places.

The lava fields near the pass by the Three Sisters in Oregon are not as large an area but still quite interesting. Yes, we stopped for a snowball fight along the way…
3BD61BAE-43BD-4498-9E80-709B7FFF3A5E.jpeg

Harsh envirnement for the poor trees. It makes Jim's land almost enjoyable.
But it's a fantastic geology here.

Back