The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
Well I just got off the phone with a guy I've been waiting to hear from. I just secured permission to hunt 240 acres of prime Muley and Whitetail country in Eastern Washington for my Dad and I. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked. The guy letting us hunt is an old family friend. I'm really looking forward to this opportunity to hunt with my Dad. He and I have not hunted together for almost 25 years.

So hopefully I will have pics of a successful hunt sometime in late October. :)

Figgered i'd start a thread for all to post in for this season... bow, muzzleloader, rifle... no matter, post up your pics and stories for this season.

This will be my first season back in the woods after deer in 5 years... I can't wait! I wanna put some venison in the freezer!

Gary

Venison is tasty. Good hunting!

If you are going to be getting a lot of deer, you need a sausage maker.

Sweet. My brother and i will be hunting X12 this year. Took 12 years to finally get drawn. Still have venison in the freezer from last year, but running low and I expect to get a buck worthy of spending the money to have mounted. We'll be taking horses and mules in and hunting between 9500- and 10500' elivation.
Good luck. I hope to hunt again with my dad before he can no longer go. It's been 8 years I think. Maybe next year.

That's awesome Gary. I'll not be deer hunting again this year, for two reasons....mainly, because I muskie fish until Dec 15 when the season closes and also because the MI deer season is nuts as far as people in the woods. Shoot one for me this year bro!

I'll need it this year. I gambled and got Archery tags for both deer and elk. Deer tag is usually no problem with the bow, but I have a feeling that I may find getting a good shot at an elk a challenge.

It is, but you get so much more time to do it here and during lead up to rut!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of these days I'm gonna try a bow. I've killed deer and elk with rifle and muzzleloader... but no a bow. One of these day... :)

Gary

I usually live for deer hunting but my focus this year is working the heck out of my german shorthair on grouse. Im sure Ill get pumped as deer season get closer.

I'm on pins and needles...shot my bow for over an hour yesterday at varying ranges. Plowing/planting foodplots this week.

that was a small part of the home range I used to have before i moved into town...;)

Got the shooting house pretty much finished, except for a paint job and some interior features.....

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    616.9 KB · Views: 8
I hope he has a lot of hearing protection! And every hunter knows the best shots are from where you least expect them. My bet is his first kill shot will be out the back door!

Actually there is no back door...it's the front door. And it is on the side I approach from. I keep ear plugs and muffs ready at hand. I have one foodplot 250-300 yards north of it and another 125-150 south of it. As it's hexagonal-shaped, I can cover a full 360* with minimal movement. I actually have a piece of plexiglass already cut for a window in the door. Just gotta take the cordless Dewalt down there and cut a hole for it. My brother-in-law is wanting to build one now. His will be the more common 4'x8' shape though.

Why have the door like that? I'd rather a trapdoor, in the floor.

That was the simplest way to build it. A trapdoor would require an opening in the center of the floor, so the chair(s) would constantly be in the way. I also built it to last a lifetime and when I get older, I might not be able to squirrel through a trapdoor as easily as I could now. :D

It's on our property, no building restrictions here. Baiting is illegal, but planting a foodplot is not. Go figure....you can plant a 500-acre corn field and put shooting houses/blinds all through it, but it's illegal to pour out five pounds of corn where you can hunt over it. I don't hunt in it all the time. I prefer to hunt out of a tree stand, but when it's raining or really cold outside, it's nice to be able to sit in relative comfort and watch for a deer. Actually it may be a "southern thang" as shooting houses/box blinds/whatever-you-call-them are found all over the place. Actually though, I have some hunting videos with some hunts filmed in Canada where shooting houses are used.

As to color, I'm thinking some camo colors, nothing fancy. The scent won't matter out in the open like it is. The deer are completely used to it now.

Well, you need approximately 24" x 24" for an easy access, and the shooting house is hexagonal, with each side being 48" long. That makes it approximately 8' from long point to opposite long point, and approximately 7' from flat side to opposite flat side. The trapdoor could be to one side I suppose, but close to center seems best to me if that's the type door desired. Not to mention, it would require a nearly vertical ladder (due to not having the headroom stairs would require), while a side door like I have allows stairs of sorts to allow for easier access.