The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

I had a brother-in-law (now deceased) who was paralized from the waist down. He was an avid hunter and tried for some time (to no avail) to rig up a ladder stand/hoist combo to raise himself up into a tree. They sell such an apparatus now, as well as trailers with shooting houses in them that are mounted on scissor hoists that raise them up into the air.

I think that baiting and food plots are both illegal here. They get around it by harvesting the food plot and leaving a door open on the harvester to dribble most of the grain onto the ground.

I helped my brother-in-law build a new shooting house this weekend. Nothing fancy, but it's solid and in a good location.

Attachments

• IMG_0271 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0271 (Copy).JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0268 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0268 (Copy).JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0263 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0263 (Copy).JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 12
Doesn't matter what you're wearing if the deer can't see you.....y'all don't have green boxes in Texas?

We don't have to wear orange if in an enclosed blind or above 12' up in a tree.

Orange is not required here and we have the 2nd fewest hunter shooting incidents. ODFW did a study that found orange does not make you safer:drink:

I hunt on private property where my brother-in-law and I are the only ones hunting, unless we take our kids. When my daughter goes alone, she wears an orange vest. I sometimes carry a vest in my pack, but seldom wear it. I don't believe for a minute that deer can see color, because I've had some close encounters with them while wearing an orange cap, but I do know that an orange vest is a large piece of unbroken scenery that stands out better than camo. 'Bama doesn't allow the camo/orange variations....it must be solid orange to be legal. I guess the Dept. of Wildlife is color-blind, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Orange is not required here and we have the 2nd fewest hunter shooting incidents. ODFW did a study that found orange does not make you safer:drink:

Even during modern firearm seasons? Washington makes you wear hunter orange anytime there is a modern firearm deer or elk season open. I don't wear camo during deer or elk season when I hunt with a modern firearm. I wear a little camo during muzzleloader season.

Gary

There are boxes in Texas and I always snicker at how hunters go out in all of their camo garb to sit in a box.

Here the boxes are often so high I think they should be painted blue with puffy white clouds on the sides... :p

When it is from a box like that, I always feel it is just killing, not hunting. I am not opposed to that at all. Heck, meat ain't gonna make itself. But then I would just as well do my shooting from a pickup :p

We have a pretty good bow season in CT opened on the 15 goes until Dec 31.

I built the shooting house for days when it's raining or really cold. When the weather's agreeable, I prefer by far to sit in a treestand. But last winter when it was 12* out, I sat in reasonable comfort, lighting the heater every thirty minutes or so to stay warm. If sitting in a shooting house is not hunting, does one have to sit on a bucket on a creekbank with a cane pole to be fishing? Folks spend 30K on a bass boat, and a pile on gear to catch fish they're gonna throw back. I don't get that. Then there's the argument about crossbows....some "die-hard" bow hunters claim crossbows aren't "primitive"...um, when were compound bows invented?

Living in a small country with an awful lot of hunters per acre, you learn to love the boxes.
When shooting from a high box, they are firing into the ground.

Reclining leather seats, stereo, warmth, no bugs or dirt in your food, cooler for your drinks in the back seat...

Leave your firearms home Brian, you may have to get blood under your nails if you shoot something:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My pops and I got back yesterday from our hunt in Eastern WA. We got zip, zero, na-da... So I have a couple of Blacktail haunts on the Westside that I'm gonna hit tomorrow and Friday...

Had a good time with my Dad though. Been awhile since we went hunting like that. It was fun. :)

Gary

Here in PA, boxes like that are few and far between. Most guys sit at the bottom of a tree or in a treestand.

When you sit in one location, isn't it good to pray to the great spirit to send you a deer? Like the hunters of yesteryear....