The Official Critter Thread

I have seen this in nature programs on the telly.
A moose will take refuge from a wolfpack in water knowing that it’s (relatively) safe.
Against one wolf, even on dry land, I’d venture that moose was in no danger.

I'll grab my boy's tail suddenly to make him yell, and the girl's on him like ugly on a monkey. If it's only a little yell, she just stands guard. If he makes a big yell, or more than one, she pulls out the can of whoop ass, and beats the shit out of him, hissing the whole time. And I swear to god, if I tell her to give him the sharp parts, she'll turn around and hit him some more if he's close. I have no idea what thought process is going on there, but I find it immensely funny. I might feel bad about it, but the boy does a good job of pissing her off, and chasing her around the house, so it's a bit of payback that also amuses me :^D

That was either a giant schnauzer, or a small cat. Hard to tell with those fisheye lenses. Seemed like a sizable dog from the rest of the footage.

Kitty misjudged his initial attack, realized this thing was gonna fight back hard and broke away.

Because it came back, seemed to study the site, I get the feeling it's taken dogs before, but this one surprised it.

But I neither speak nor think puma, so...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Info was that the dog was 93lbs.

Was eating dinner, no volume, minimal attention, many excuses lolz

93lbs pup means a good size cat, with a lot of confidence. I stand by my statement on the cats experience with eating dog.

I watched it in slo mo- the dog showed little confidence and the moment he lost the stare down and turned to run, the cat attacked, first the back of the neck and then worked his way to the throat for the finish before being interrupted by the dog owner.

I know my boys wouldn't have played no games. Together or separate, my two heathen monsters are game. Hell, young Jack's favorite thing is wrasslin with a 100lb Rottweiler.

To be fair, unless they were together, my boys wouldn't get off as easy as that schnauzer. They wouldn't run, and they'd fight their hearts out, possibly literally. It'd be a bloodbath. Game dogs are a double edge sword.

This may be hard to fathom, as much as I adore my boys, but situations like the one in the video are why I own my dogs. Jack shadows my daughter on every trip to the outhouse (yeah, we're that far off the grid). His soul purpose in life is to be between my daughter and what goes bump in the night.

Ranger is my fur missile, he's not a public, go-meeting-folk-at-the-park kinda dog. He's a "These people are mine, this is my home. No touchy. I Bite" kinda good boy. As good as he is around the kids, he's always supervised. He's never given me a reason to worry, infact his every behavior says the opposite, but a dog that large and powerful demands certian precautions.

The boys have already accounted for a few coyotes. This is a wonderful thing, as my daughter has a deep fear of the yodel-dogs, singing in the night. After seeing first mangled carcass, she sings to the boys as we wash the blood off of them. There's actually a little song starting to form, it's happened enough.

"OH, my monsters keep me safe!
Oh, my monsters, look at what you ate!
Oh, boys what did you do?
Oh my boys thankyou thank you!"

It's cute and maybe a little dark, but my daughter doesn't cry when she hears the coyotes anymore. She's looking forward to hanging out outside at night this summer.

Any of you folks follow the Flaco story, probably not unless you're from the NYC hood.

When I read the headline of his demise a couple days ago, I surprised myself actually gasping, I guess I felt like I knew him. Heckuva story.

The photo leading off the article is pretty awesome.

He didn't do too bad. Looks like they max out at about 20 years old. 14 is in the ballpark of average lifespan.

he Eurasian eagle-owl surely is one of the longest-living owls on average.[126] The eagle-owl can live for up to 20 years in the wild. At one time, the oldest ringed eagle-owl was considered a 19-year-old specimen.[19] Some studies posited that in protected areas, lifespans ranging up to 15–20 years may not be uncommon.[127][128] A record-breaking specimen banded in the wild was subsequently found to survive to be 27 years and 9 months old.

My girl cat continues to impress me with her English skills. I mentioned before that she knew she was "the sister", even though it's an abstraction that she's never called directly. She'll also get in my lap when I invite her by saying "you can come up". She'll be on the floor looking at me, while I speak general nonsense to her, and saying the above without changing pitch, volume, or inflection, she'll jump in my lap. She isn't really a lap cat, and only wants attention when she wants it(hence her nickname Turd Nugget), so it isn't like she jumps in my lap generally. It seems she's responding to the seldom spoken words.

My Mackrel Tabby, Tom Sawyer, has a very firm grasp of the English language, he's just a prick. But he cuddles the baby, and puts up with her snatching him up and marching around with his back feet dragging. So, he gets a pass for a lot of bad behavior. For instance, I split my kindling in the house as I need it. This leaves a small pile of wood chips under the kindling cracker, which I brush aside until there's enough to bother picking up and throwing in the stove. So this phucking cat pisses on them. I mean comes in from outside, just to piss on the wood chips! So I started cleaning them up every time. He started pissing ON THE KINDLING CRACKER!

I can't win for losing with this grey bastard, but I love him, and he really is a sweetheart. The bastard.

Interesting.

I have to point out that Nature is METAL. Only the strong survive. How many wolf cubs died of cancer before this mutation began to save them?

No to mention the ethical questions inspired by such things...

Back