The History Channel; Ax Men

Belt, flipline and spurs. That was our climbing kit, hell I knew nothing else about it until I started poking around on the internet. Never did like some of our 'procedures' and now I know why.

Talk to a timber faller about SRT or DRT and they'll look at you like you have three heads.

Jerry being the exception to the rule! ;)

You'd think the OSHA or WC guys would be all over them.

Perfectly legal and within all current requirements in Oregon, Washington, and California...as we speak. Oregon has a re-write due out any time now and there will be some significant changes. If the usual progression occurs, WA and then CA state industrial safety standards for logging industry climbing will follow suit.

Mine was new tonight. Little more BS'in, but still some saws and climbing going on.

Showed some good trees coming down.

It seems kind of inefficient that they have to climb up and top the tree and then come down and get the cable and haul it up.

i dont know how they do it but we pulled up a block and strap and ran a manilla line through it so we could pull the cable trhough from the ground

I climbed up and set a pass block and the guys on the ground did the work getting the rigging up to me. Double "Young 17 inchers" with straps. Had to weigh a hundred pounds at least. Ugh.

Yup pass block and ground person leave a rope hanging through the tommy morr(big block) when done to pull the skyline through when needed. Of course that was if I had help, often I was pre-rigging by myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was wondering what the climber was doing with a hand saw in a brand new scabbard. Loggers with handsaws?

I have been watching the show from the first episode. I am imressed. Not really.

Seems more emphasis is being put on the skyline and carriage than anything else featuring the Axmen strangling cut trees with the chokers. It is some what interesting to watch trees being hauled uphill but it gets boring after awhile.

Maybe tonight will be different.

Oh, what is with that knot they showed last week on the climbers belt. Looked like it was tied in a permenant figure 8 with no room for adjustment. A plain old Becket hitch would work for what they do.

Oh, what is with that knot they showed last week on the climbers belt. Looked like it was tied in a permenant figure 8 with no room for adjustment. A plain old Becket hitch would work for what they do.

I think it's that cat's paw or whatever it's called. Pretty common when using steel core manilla like you see often with loggers. I've used them. OM has one in a flipling in a picture in the rotator.

I ain't seen mine yet tonight. I'm watching Sopranos right now, and catch the late showing at 11:00.

I have not watched a single episode...

Gary

Why not? It's not a bad show. I know alot of it is dramatized, but it's cool watching the trees come down and watching the saws work. Makes me glad I'm only a visitor to the logging industry, and that I don't rely on it for a paycheck.

ive got a video the loader operator took of me running yarder, him loading logs, turns coming up the hill. just small wood but still cool. its on vhs though, can that be converted to dvd easily?

just need to get a connection from VCR to computer, once its on the hard drive burning a dvd is easy!

Back