The History Channel; Ax Men

The dude that threw the tree into the skyline cut through the hinge from what I could see.

It seems like alot of their mistakes are from a lack of understanding.

The Gufstan (spelling?) crew sure has a chit pot of logs at the landing, bout time they start shipping them out eh?

Well they're loggers who climb, not climbers who log. I can't say nothing. They climb like I do!:D

I can't say nothing either cause compared to all the kick ass climbers in the Treehouse I'm sure they'd get a laugh outta me sometimes too. But spiking a spar is pretty damn easy. I mean I remember some feeble climbers from the bush but I also remember some good ones(like myself) who'd make going up and coming down look like a thing of beauty. I'd hope they'd be putting someone proficient on television.

You gotta remember that show is highly "dramatized" .

As far as those two "climbers" ,just inexperiance .I had to laugh because that guy last night I thought his a$$ would reach the top of the spar before his head,ha.

I didn't quite understand why those guys spliced an eye in that cable rather than press a sleeve or use "Crosby" clamps ??? :? I'm telling you splicing an eye in a steel cable is a beech . Part of the show I suppose .

we spliced all the time on our skyline. cant keep a press on the job or a spare 2000 feet of 7/8" swedge.

we spliced all the time on our skyline. cant keep a press on the job or a spare 2000 feet of 7/8" swedge.
It's probabley a "traditional " thing I suppose. I'm just used to the iron workers installing maybe 6 or 8 "crosbys" in a wire rope of that size .For that matter they make wedge clamps that hold just as much as a splice .Buut,that said I'm a midwest farm boy type rigger and what they do in the PNW I have no idea.

we used those wedges for dead end nubbins and hooks. never seen one for an eye though. some of the splicing was a long splice if we had a break in the middle of the cable, we could spread the splice out over 40' and not be to bulky to fit through shives. it really is a nessasary thing to know on a yarder side. 1-2 hours from anywhere a broken line would shut down production for the day as opposed to an hour or 2

A long splice is a pain in the butt but it will pass through a block where a short splice won't .

A lot of times they use a wedge in conjuction with a "headache ball " on cranes . The cable is actually just an eye that passes through the ball .Often times they put a Crosby or two on the "bitter end" [sailor talk ];)

i dont have many splicing pics but the first one you can see the bulge below the carriage and above the logs, that the swiveling hook that uses wedges in the end of the cable.
the second is one part of a long splice in the skidding main
the third is a farmers eye in the end of the skyline. this is a very fast splice, it needs to be a long eye so it doesnt bite to deep in the stump it gets wrapped around. we also used a 7 tuck for more critical eyes

Attachments

• 014_14.JPG
    014_14.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 052_52.JPG
    052_52.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 062_62.JPG
    062_62.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 7
Wire rope[steel cable ] will eat you up.The strands will poke right through a pair of leather gloves and make you look like you got the short end of the stick from wrestling with a porcupine . :whine:

haha yeah al, jaggers suck, or poke or something:D
butch, the big one is the sky line (the one the carriage is hanging from in the first pic) the small one is the skidding main, it goes into the carriag and out the bottom into the hook

We always spliced too, it's just what you do. Clamps would be to bulky in most applications like on the end of the skyline you need a splice with the ends all tucked away nicely so it doesn't hang up on everything.

Lol do they censor the swearing?:lol:

"Beep... Get that... beep... beep...RIGHT NOW ! God beep it, I never seen such a buncha beep beep beep... BEEP IT !!! Mutherbeeping BEEP it, how can you BEEP it up so BEEPING bad ???"
It's like Flav-O-Luv on steroids. When do we get to see the guy sent home on a stretcher ?

Just a question because I don't know,never seen it. Is the motorized trolley controlled by radio signals or something??

The setup is really kind of like a dragline in a way .With a dragline though the operator has view and controll of the whole operation .By the looks of some of those slopes the load could be a thousand feet away and out of sight of the operator on a sky line set up .

Yeah, if you watch the show, you'll see the lead guy in the brush has a transmitter on his belt that he beeps with various signals for the operator. Two beeps up, three beeps stop, whatever.

Is that what you're talking about?

The carriage I was most familiar with had talkie tooter radios that controlled the carriage directly. They also made a blast off of a horn on the carriage itself so you could confirm your transmission from the remote to the carriage. Our horn on the carriage lasted like a month and we never bothered fixing it. We used those hand held remotes as well as radios so the yarderman(engineer) and hillside man(chokerman) could communicate.

Our set-up worked like this:

Engineer sends the carriage down the hillside by releasing the skyline brake and feathering the yarder mainline brake, so the carriage is freewheeling on the skyline and its descent is being controlled by feathering the mainline brake on the yarder. Don't get to jerky with that lever boy or you'll have cables snapping and dancing before ya know it. A good engineer knows what his mainline spool looks like for how far down the hill the chokerman is working and can race that carriage down there slowing it up real smoothly just when need be. There's an art to it for sure.

Chokerman on radio tells engineer "little bit, little bit, good" as carriage slowly rolls to a stop he hit's the button once, this clamps the skyline brake in the carriage, anchoring the carriage to the skyline.

Then the Chokerman hits the button again and the motor revs up in the carriage and starts pulling slack through feeding it out at a nice even rate(I've worked with non slack pulling carriages before, they suck) and when ya get good at it you can use that rate of feed to time up big swings or doll some out and stop the feed in order to swing across obstacles. A good chokerman makes every use of any advantage to get those chokers to the wood in the easiest possible manner.

Once the chokerman has got to where they're going they push the button to stop the slack pulling feed, and then let the engineer know "got enough" so they can stop having to focus on dolling out the mainline nicely.

Then when all the chokers are hooked up and the chokerman is in the clear he hits another button(our talkie tooters had two buttons)twice to release the mainline brake. Now the carriage is still clamped to sky but the mainline brake is free so the mainline will just run right through the carriage.

Now the chokerman tells the engineer "go ahead" and the engineer steps on it and starts winching in mainline pulling the drag of logs towards the carriage.

As the drag approachs the carriage the chokerman on the radio again says "carriage" and this lets the engineer know to let up on it a little as the chokerman then pushes the 2nd button 3 times this releases the skyline brake and clamps the mainline brake so that then the logs are held up in the air with the chokers near the carriage for ground clearance and the skyline brakes are released. So when the engineer steps on her again then the carriage with logs clamped up nice goes racing up the skyline all the way to the yarder.

Then the engineer controls everything when it's right in front of him to set the logs down unhook the chokers and then it starts all over again.

A 'turn'

That's about how our set-up worked for a single basic turn. I ain't even gonna try and explain downhill yarding. To much typing.8)

Lol doing it countless times has helped some of it sink in. I'm sure other yarder systems/set-ups run differently but that was the meat and bones of our set-up. I was a choker master but I always found the climbing alot more fun, pre-rigging was my usual thing, although I was so good at that that I'd end up having to go back and be a chokerpig to help out. :D I always wore the radio even when I worked with a boss, yes I am a bit of a control freak.

our set up was a little different but id surly confuse and its close enough to what justin said so eloquently:D ill try and draw a pic for you steve

Back